|Notes for William Pennington|
Pennington is one of the oldest surnames in England. Pennington began asa
place name. The name used to be spelled Pennegetun in the Domesday bookof
1086 AD. The oldes Pennington known is Gamel de Peninton or Penitone, he
was of Viking ancestry. He held the manor during the time of King HenryII.
The ruins of the castle still stands.
William Pennington and Abigail Caudill were married on 9
February 1785. William and Abigail Pennington moved to Lawrence Co.
Kentucky in 1832 where they both died and most of their children.
William Pennington bought land on the Powell River and became ablacksmith.
In about 1804 he moved his family to the other side of Black Mountain tothe
Poor Fork of the Cumberland River. This area was in Knox County,Kentucky,
which later became Harlan County. Here William and Abigail, along withson
Abel and his wife Elizabeth Smith, helped found the Oven Fork Baptist
Church. By 1830-34 the entire family had moved to lawrence County,
Kentucky. William died in 1844 and his son Abel died in 1865. Since
William and Abby had 12 children and eleven of those had large families.
There are at least 987 descendants of William across the country.
|Last Modified New||Created 30 Jun 2003 by Reunion for Macintosh|