Ellijay Church History

 Moore & Moore Cousins



         " Ellijay Baptist Church History "

            one.jpg (62392 bytes)   five.jpg (68922 bytes)three.jpg (59838 bytes)



       Memories of Ellijay Church was born because one person, Mrs. Oscar (Irene) Adams loved her church, its history, life and people. Mrs. Adams came home from the State of Washington after a few years stay and, of course, went to church. She had known through letters from her mother, Mrs. Kate Rogers, of the present church, but climbing the hill to the church, tears came on seeing the old frame church gone and a new block building in its place. The idea began then the remembrance of the beginning of the Ellijay Baptist Church. She began her search for stories, events and former members and pastors. The search has taken several years. The work of this dedicated Christian will bless many hearts. Our thanks to you, Irene.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Ruby Young                                                       



      According to the old Sugar Fork Church ledger, the following churches were organized between 1836-1837: Franklin, Ellijay, Pine Grove and Wautauga. At Ellijay the first church services were held in an old log school building located on the John Berry property. A family of black people named Hemphill came to the church services. Uncle Henry Peek was a small boy then and some of the older boys put Uncle Henry up to tease one of the little black boys. After church was over the little black boy went to Uncle Henrys daddy, Jim Peek, and said, Mr. Peek, make you boy quit bothering me. Uncle Henry never bothered any more little boys at church.

       My grandmother, Carrie Moses Henry, was saved in a revival meeting run in the old school house. Grayson Ammons was one of the first pastors in the old log school building. A new log school was then built on the John T. Henry property about one-half mile on around the road from the old one. The school and church moved into the building. Bard Angel was one of the first Sunday school teachers and Marion Morgan was pastor, He was also first pastor of the old church.

       The Macon County Baptist Association was started between 1884-1890. In 1890, the Association meeting was held at Burningtown. The representatives from Ellijay were: A. J. Moore, R. H. Mincy, J. W. Parker, and A. M. Dills. From Mountain Grove: H. J. Gregory, John Bryson, Nelson Fox, J. A. Adams, A. C. Hasket, and F. N. Fox

       The site where this church stands and where the old church stood was a gathering place for hunters, drinking and gambling, fighting went on around huge fires at night. Mrs. Ruth Moore Young who lived across the valley on the mountain could see the fires from her house at night and worried for she knew some of her sons might be there. She longed for a church to be built on this hill and requested when she died she be buried on this hill in hopes that it would stop the drinking and fighting. Preacher Marion Morgan promised he would do all he could to get a church built. Mrs. Moore died in her fifties on April 10, 1892. Her brother, Jackson Moore, better know as Captain Jack, owned the land. They cleared the trees off for a spot for her grave. She was the first person buried on this hill. Captain Jack Moore gave this land to be a cemetery and Missionary Baptist Church forever. Captain Jack was a Captain in the Civil War. My great grandmother, Eliza Moore Henry, was a sister to Ruth Moore and Captain Jack Moore. She married William Henry. She was Jake and John T. Henry's mother. William Henry was in the Civil War with Captain Jack. They are all buried in this cemetery.                 

       In 1893, one year after Ruth Moore Young dies, work started on the old church. All the people worked together. They donated labor or whatever they had to get the church started.

       The timber was donated on the mountain and cut by the men. Alex Moore and Charlie Mincey (25 years old) cut the first tree. Others that helped cut the timber was Parker Moore, Charlie Moore (15 years old), Jack Moore, Dave Ammons, Jake Henry (25 years old), John Henry (32 years old), William Young, Sam Young (23 years old), Leander Young (22 years old), Alex Berry, Talvin Jennings, Marion Morgan, Clingman Hall, Phillip Price, Jim Webb (17 years old), Henry Mincey (58 years old),  W. W. Henry (58 years old), David Rogers (44 years old), Jim Moore, Jim Rogers (19 years old), and Montgomery Rogers, called Gomery, (41 years old). Some of these men were young boys at this time, and I don't have all the names of those who worked.

       The logs were hauled to the Parker Moore saw mill, the mill was powered by water and stood on the property now owned by his daughter, Kate Moore Rinehart.

       Montgomery Rogers, my grandfather, drove one of the wagons that hauled the lumber from the mill to the church site.  The wagons were pulled by teams of oxen. Uncle Charlie Roger's, grandpa’s thirteen year old son, rode on the wagon and helped load and unload the lumber. I don't have the names of the others who hauled lumber on wagons.

       After they got the church framed in and before they could get the sides and roof on, the sun drawed and warped the green lumber til they had to almost saw the framing in two and splice it to get it in line enough to get the roof and sides on.

       At first the church didn't have a belfrey. The bell sat on two benches in front of the church: later it was put on a platform and sat there for a long time. Aunt Tennie Cloer said she thought they had ordered the bell from Sears Roebuck Company for six or eight dollars. She said that was where several churches were getting them. She also said she thought they had moved the old stove from the school house. Aunt Tennie said she could also remember a preacher named Ford that pastored the old church in the early days. Aunt Tennie Cloer died in March, 1980. She was ninety-three years old.

       The church had a bench outside the church where the early goes sat, whittled and talked til time for church to start. After the services started, you didn't swap knives or set hens.

       On August 8, 1895, Mrs. Ruth Moore Young's husband, William Young, died.

       Uncle John T. Henry's house burned down in 1935 and all the old records were destroyed.

       Leander Young was Ruth Moore Young and Bill Young's son. He was twenty-one years old when his mother died. He was saved in one of the revival meetings in the old church. It wasn't long before he knew God had called him to preach. In 1898 when Leander was twenty-seven years old he was ordained into the ministry in the old church. The Lord blessed him with a strong voice and he used it for the Lord as long as he lived, and he led many souls to Christ.

       March, 1910. Emma Henry Ivester could remember being saved in a revival meeting in the old church run by Leander Young and Jessie Stallcup. She could remember Laura Young, Maude Berry, Bertha Moore, Ollie Mincey, and Edith Henry being saved at the same time. There were twenty saved but she doesn't remember the names of the others. They were baptized in the creek up at the old Parker Adams place. My grandpaw Rogers lived at what is now called the old Sam Young place and they went up to their house to change clothes. Emma said it was Sunday, March 20, 1910, and as they ran up the hill from the creek to the house, it snowed on them, but grandpaw had a big fire and the house was warm and they soon got warm and dry. She said she could remember how loving and happy all the church people were that day.

       When the church had a revival, they would load Uncle John T. Henry's organ on a wagon and take it to church. It would stay until the revival was over and then they would take it back home. There were only two organs in the whole community at that time. One was Uncle John's and the other was Uncle Charlie Mincey's. Emma Henry played for the revivals. They did this for years until the church could buy one.

       1911. In 1911, Kate Henry Rogers remembers one decoration day in June. She was six years old at the time. She was seventy-five years old on the 19 day of May, 1980. She and some girls were on the program and said recitations. Hers was Little Drops of Water: Little Grains of Sand. Pearl Moore Stuart, who was six years old, said Gather ye The Rosebuds While You May. Jane Henry Mashburn was nine years old, and she said The Day Had Been Dark and Dreary. Ruth Henry Ammons, eleven years old, said The New Jerusalem.

       Five young girls, Laura Young, Ollie Mincey, Maude Berry, Emma Henry and Edith Henry, pantomimed Jesus Lover of My Soul. Bertha Moore and Hattie Peek pantomimed Rock of Ages.

       Tom Fox, singing leader at Mt. Grove at that time, and Ben Gregory brought the choir to sing. They walked and sang all the way from Mt. Grove to the church. Nannie Fox was one of the alto singers and Jake Williams sang bass. Some of Leander Young's girls were also in this choir.

       A quartet from Cowee came in a wagon and John Stiles sang bass for this quartet.

       When the time came to put the flowers on the graves, twelve boys and twelve girls would do this. The boys carried the flowers and the girls put them on. The singers and everybody else marched around the cemetery and groups of singers took turns singing til every grave was decorated.

       1911. Joseph Clark, a Civil War veteran and member of the old church, died and was buried in our cemetery.

       1912. Phillip Price, born 1846, a member of our church, died September 26, 1912. Sarah Price, his wife, was a kind of doctor and midwife. She helped to bring lots of children onto the world until she got too old to get out. She died September 14, 1941.

       Uncle Charlie Mincey always carried a little brown paper sack of stick candy in his coat pocket, and every child he met he gave a small piece. We all liked to see him coming for we didn't get too much candy in those days. It reminded me of the woman in the Bible who never ran out of meal. I don't think he ever ran out of candy.

       Aunt Nannie Mincey, a faithful church goer, who didn't ever want to be late would see Aunt Gracie Peek coming across the hill with her children, and she would say, Hurry children, here comes Gracie and we don't want to be late for church.

       January, 1914. Grady Dalton run a two week singing school and they learned to sing out of the old Glorious refrain song book. How many people remember them?

       December, 1914. Leander Young, pastor, and Billy Potts from Highlands held a two week revival. Around fifty people were saved. They had to have two baptizings and they broke the ice in the creek to do this.

       Sometime in 1915, Jessie Stallcup, pastor, Edd Cloer, Charlie Rogers, and some other members built the belfry on the church and hung the bell. It had set on a platform until this time. Clingman Hall had donated poplar logs and Robert Henry hauled the logs the belfry column posts were made from on a wagon pulled by a team of oxen to the church. They pulled the bell to the top of the belfry by a block and tackle. We are still using the same old bell in this church and it still has a good tone.

       Uncle Charlie Mincey was saved in one of the revivals run by Jessie Stallcup.

       The church decided to buy an organ and they asked Emma Henry to select one and order it. Charlie Moore (Mamie Rogers Moore's husband) was a big help Emma said in raising the money when she found one which she thought was suitable. She didn't remember the cost or where it came from.

       It was shipped to Franklin via the old Tallulah Falls Railway. Soon she got the notice it had arrived and Uncle John T. Henry let Robert take the old truck and bring it to the church. She was the organist for years. She was eighty-two years old in 1980. She can remember the good times they had in the old church and how all the people pulled and worked together and how everybody loved everybody else.         

       A drummer who used to come to Uncle Johns store was spending the night. They were sitting up late and talking when the talk got around to the church and cemetery. The drummer said he sure would be afraid to go around a church and cemetery late at night. Emma said she wasn't afraid to go to the church house at any hour of the night by herself. The drummer said he would give her a dollar (and this was a lot of money back then) if she would take his hat and go to the church and leave it on the pulpit. It was about eleven o'clock at night then. Emma took his hat, and next morning the drummer went over to the church and got his hat. It was on the pulpit. Emma got her dollar.

       Alex Moore was one of the great teachers of the old church for a long time. He taught the card class. He would take them out in the summer time under the big old oak trees that stood in the yard. All the children loved him.

       Jake Henry's family, Fred, Ruth, Jane, Edith, Kate, Canton, Tom, Grady, Alice and Joe all sang in the old church, and part of them sang in this church.

       Jake Young's family, Walter, Laura, Ruth, Fred, Leslie, Mavis and Bessie also sang in the old church and some of them sang in this one. Jake Young was one of Ruth Moore Young's sons, and a brother to Leander Young.

       1916. One revival Leander Young run lasted six weeks; he wore out three other preachers. Each one lasted two weeks. Twenty-seven people were saved in this meeting, but I only have the names of a very few- Lon Ammons, Talvin Jennings, John Berry, and Fred Henry.

       They had to line up in front of the church to get the right hand of fellowship. They were baptized in the creek below the bridge at Robert Henry's house.

       Preacher Gibbs was one of the pastors of the old church. He was eighty years old and always ran up on the stage. He said the Lord said to make haste for time was short.

       1917. One cold winter night in 1917, they were having a revival, and every night the fire would burn down and the people would get cold. Several people were coming up from Higdonville and were members of our church. John Higdon was one of them. One night John said, I'm going to see nobody gets cold tonight. How many people remember the old stove? It looked like the engine of an old freight train and about as big. Well, John built a fire so hot the stove and pipe get red to the ceiling. Rufus Henry told John he better let the fire die down or he was going to burn the church down. Back then they always had a morning service at ten o'clock. The preacher called on Lon Ammons to lead the prayer, but someone said Lon, hold up on the prayer, I saw fire fall down. I think the church is on fire. Well, nobody waited for the prayer. They all got out. There wasn't any water on the hill back then, so some of the men ran over to Uncle John's to get water; some of the others got a ladder and climbed up in the loft. A piece of the framing had burned all night. They got the fire out, but one thing for sure- nobody had got cold the night before. They all went back in the church and had prayer and services.

       1918. Margaret Ann Ammons moved to Ellijay September 28, 1913. She moved her church letter to this church in August, 1918. She died in August, 1980, after belonging to this church for sixty years. She lived to be in her 90s and her mind was still good. She said she gave the Lord the credit for her long life. Older people tell me they could remember her bringing her children to church and walking all the way. And they couldn't ever remember her saying a harsh word to anybody.

       1920. Avery Price was killed November 6, 1920, in a logging accident. He was a First World War veteran. He is buried in our cemetery.

       1921. David Ammons, one of the builders of our old church, who was born June 11, 1859, died April 22, 1921. He was Jimmie Ammon's father.

1921. (Copied from old record book) Elected as officers of the church for the coming year 1921-1922:

               J. B. Ammons, Superintendent

               Andrew J. Moore Assistant Superintendent

                J. P. Moore, Secretary- Treasurer

                Teachers: Ivalee Mincey, A. J. Moore, Louise Rogers,

                                  Jane Moore, and Clyde Henry.

       November 13, 1921, Ellijay Baptist Sunday school met at 10:00. Songs were sung by class, reading by Jim Ammons, prayer by Bro. Jake Williams. Bro. Robert Henry was appointed to light the lamps, build the fires, and ring the bell. He is to receive 25 cents a week for same. Song sung and classes dismissed.

       December 4, 1921. Rev. Nelson Deitz, pastor, brought the message on keeping in the middle of the road.

       1921. When Joe Bryson was pastor, Jimmie Moore, one of Captain Jack's sons, who married Annie Berry, one of John Berry's daughters, and had moved to Florida to work with the Seminole Indians, came up to Ellijay to run a revival with the hopes of getting his brother, Parker Moore, and first cousin, Jake Henry, saved. The revival lasted two weeks. Nine people were saved and baptized. Saved in this meeting were Olney Moses, Dessie Moses, Charlie Henry, Bessie Harris, Garland Fox, Ethel Ammons, Kate Henry, Parker Moore and Jake Henry. Jimmie Moore said he was thankful to God for all the souls that were saved but the greatest experience of his life was when his brother, Parker, was saved, and the second greatest experience was when Cousin Jake Henry was saved

       1922. Parker Moore taught the books of the Bible to his class and gave one to every one in church who learned the books of the Bible. Ruby Young has one dated 1922.

       April 30, 1922. (Copied from a page of minutes)

Attendance this month has not been good due to older people not being able to come and the young people indifferent, especially the young men.

       July 2, 1922. we met at 10:30 this morning, one-half hour late as usual. The preacher preached a sermon on the (prodical Son). Attendance some better today, but could be better.


       1923. Aunt Jane Rogers passed away and was buried in this cemetery. She was Gomery Rogers sister.


       Church record of people who belonged, or come, in 1921 and 1922:

               Charlie Rogers                 Mrs. W. M. Peek

               Jim Rogers                       Jane Rogers

               Louis Henry                     Carrie Henry

               Mrs. Louis Henry            J. T. Berry

               Frank Henry                     Mr. L. J. Fornny

               Mrs. Frank Henry            Mrs. Jim (Millie) Rogers

               William (Bill) Henry         Jess Worley

               Robert Henry                   Fred Henry

               Mrs. Robert Henry          Jake Henry

               W. M. Peek                      Mrs. Parker Gregory

               David Peek                      Charlie Henry

               Lester Mincey                  Hattie Peek

               Fred Mincey                     John T. Henry

               Mrs. Charlie Mincey        Mrs. John T. Henry

               Fred Young                      John Ammons

               Walter Young                   Mrs. Jim Ammons

               Mrs. J. P. Moore            David Rogers

               John Higdon                    Mr. & Mrs. Talvin Jennings

               J. P. Moore                      Jim Ammons

               Rilie Peek                        Hobert Rogers

               Albert Rogers                  Larance Moses

               Angel Moses                   Peter Moses

               H. M. Rogers                  Mrs. H. M. Rogers

               Margie Mincey                Alice Henry

               Pearl Moore                    Louin Young

               Clyde Henry                   Luther Young

               Maude Mincey               Ruby Henry

               Bessie Young                Sarah Peek

               Horace Peek                 Martin Peek

               Jim Barfenty                  Bertha Ammons

               R. P. Teems                  John Moore

               Fred Rogers                  Earl Henry

               Vinnie Rogers               Wendell Moore

               Clyde Berry                   Christine Higdon

              Jack Moore, Jr.            Blanche Mincey

               Jessie Jennings           Parker Ammons

               Kate Henry                   Howard Moore

               Ethel Ammons             Ruby Berry

               Annie Ammons            Geneva Henry

               Edna Bryson                Minnie Ammons

               Annie Moore               Peggie Ammons

               Frances Henry           Harrison Ammons

               Irene Moore                Walter Henry

               Wallace Peek            Virginia Henry

               Mary Mincey              Leona Fore

               Annie Rogers           Grace Berry

               Gertrude Mincey      Joe Henry

               Florence Peek         Pauline Henry

               Leslie Young           Bulah Ammons

               Lena Rogers            Gladys Rogers


       Frank Bumgarner ran many revivals in the old church and you could hear him praying and preaching from a long way off. Sometimes he would jump on the front bench and it would sound like a clap of thunder, but he never broke a bench. Alex Ammons was saved in a July meeting that he ran.

       On November 17, 1923, when Uncle Canton Henry was seventeen years old, he was saved in a November revival run by Frank Bumgarner and Preacher Batty. Twenty-six people were saved and baptized. I only have the names of a few: Canton Henry, Fred Young, Allen Mashburn, Grady Mashburn, Lefferts Higdon, Leonard Corbin, Bonnie Berry, Howard Williams, Alex Berry. They were baptized in the creek at the old Alex Berry place. It is now called Eden Valley.

       1924. Mrs. Eliza Moore Henry passed away. She was my great grandmother.

       In February 1925, Robert Henry taught a weeks singing school. Everybody would come around nine in the morning and bring lunch and stay until about three o'clock in the afternoon.

       In December, 1925, one of the last revivals Leander Young run was at Sugar Fork church. Fred Corbin was one of the ones that was saved in that meeting. They were baptized in the river with chunks of ice floating by. When you waded out in the water and before he put you under he always said in a voice that seemed to reach right up to heaven,"In obedience to the command of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and upon your profession of faith in Him, I baptize you my brother or sister in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Amen".

In December, 1925, seventeen days before his sixteenth birthday, he died. Allen Adams set up the night before he died.

       November 14, 1926. Rufus Henry, Robert Henry's brother, died.

       At one homecoming years ago when people had to slice their own bread - how many people remember when you had to slice your own bread? - the women were getting the lunch spread on tables below the church. My grandmother, Carrie Henry, and her sister, Robert Henry's mother, Virginia Henry, and Viola Young, better known as Maw Young, were using the same table. Aunt Gina, as Virginia was called, was worrying because there were so many people she was afraid there wouldn't be enough bread to feed them. Maw Young, always a comic, said "Don't worry, Gina, I'll run up to the church and get a loud praying deacon to come down here and bless this bread and we may be able to feed 5,000." They got so tickled they almost messed up the whole thing.

       Mrs. Vinnie Rogers Woodard will always be remembered for her work in church with the young people. It was always put on her to get up the Christmas programs or whatever kind of program we were having, and we all had to walk to practice. But Vinnie was always there, and she taught a Sunday School class for the young people for years in the old church.

       Around 1927 or 1928, a preacher Martin, a real big man, and a young preacher, also a Martin - I don't know if they were related or not - came from Waynesville to preach in the old church. This was long before the roads were even graveled. It was in winter and the mud was real deep. They had to leave their car and walk part way and was good and mad by the time they reached the church. Big preacher Martin preached and when the service was over the church took up an offering. It was about $8.00. They didn't think it was enough and both preachers got in an argument in the pulpit. They would not accept the offering. When they got outside, Uncle John T. Henry said he thought big Martin was going to whip little Martin right in the pulpit. The church voted to put the money in the treasury. A week later big Martin wrote Uncle John Henry, who was church treasurer, and told him to send the money. Uncle John wrote back that the church had spent it and for a good purpose to.

       Mrs. Lena Rogers Evit bought the first communion service set the old church ever had. Before that they passed a glass and each member would take a sip and pass it on. Lena and Ruby Young poured the wine the first time the set was used. This is the same set we are using in our church now.

       Charlie Rogers, every Sunday morning, would line all of us children up and lead us in singing three or four songs. The front of the church was always full of happy children.

       Ellis Coggins said he could remember Nelson Stiwinter preaching in the old church and his prayer. He always prayed for the Lord to just come on down and get him; that he was ready to go and he could just see his dear old Mommie peeking through the golden gates of heaven looking for him.

       Mr. Melvin Bowman and his wife used to come to church here. They lived below the Clouse place around the mountain. Mr. Bowman used to pull Gertrude, his crippled daughter, in a wagon to church and pull her back after church. Gertrude was always happy and she made everyone else happy too. I never heard her or her daddy complain. How many here today would pull someone in a wagon two miles to go to church and then back home.

       One real bad rain and windstorm blew the old church almost down. It was leaning up the hill. The men from the community met and bored holes in the framing along the top of the lower side of the church and with ropes and man power pulled the old church back up straight. Then the men set a day and met at Uncle John T. Henry's store and went up to Jake Henry's. He gave the church chestnut logs to be cut and sawed to reframe the church or brace it. Charlie Henry, Canton Henry, and Gordon Evit pulled the logs out to the road with a team of oxen. They were hauled on a truck to Earnie Dills' sawmill. After they were sawed the lumber was hauled to the church. They braced the church all around inside. I have the names of some of the men who worked: Fred and Lester Mincey, Gordon Evit, Roy Berry, Lawson Shook, Bill Breedlove, the preacher, and Tom, Grady, Fred, Charlie, Canton, Joe and Robert Henry, Albert and Charlie Rogers. Lawson Shook said they didn't trust him and Roy Berry and the preacher with a saw and hammer, so they put them outside to paint the church.

       Around 1931, I can remember when I was a girl. Well a little girl. It sure would scare me to hear the church bell ring for it almost always meant sadness for some family. The bell could be heard a long way off and who ever heard the bell would leave their work and go see what was wrong, and then pass the word on to the ones farther away who didn't hear the bell. There wasn't very many cars and no power saws and not many air planes to cut off the sound of the old bell. It sure did run a chill up your spine to hear it when there was no service.

       In 1931, a revival run by Preacher Vinson, Joe Bishop, and Preacher Mayberry. Saved and baptized were Lucille Shook Young, who was twelve years old at that time. Saved with her was Blanche Mincey, Ethel Moore, Christeen Higdon, Florance Ammons, Joe Henry, Charlie Moore; Albert Rogers who was saved in an earlier meeting was baptized. They were baptized in the creek above the bridge at the old Parker Moore home place.

       April 10, 1932, Aunt Virginia Moses Henry died. She was missed by the whole community; everybody loved her. And then on November 11, 1932, six months later, another member of our church, Millie Peek Rogers, died. She always bought her groceries with a big basket of eggs, which she carried on her arm and walked to John T. Henry's store and back home.

       1933. Charlie Henry's wife, Lexie, died. They lived at the Gracie Peek place, and they brought her body across Mincey Mountain on a sled. She is buried in this cemetery.

       The years of 1933 and 1934 were sad years. The old church lost these members by death: Parker Moore, John Berry, Montgomery Rogers, and Mary Avaline Rogers, Montgomery Rogers' wife just lived seven months after he died. They are buried in our cemetery. My daddy, Albert Rogers, and Uncle Robert Rogers and Fred Mincey built their coffins in our yard. Some other people helped, but I don't remember who they were.

       1935. November 3rd, Earnest Jamison run a revival. Five people were saved and baptized: Harve Donalson, Hazel Ammons, Bragg Higdon, Rhoda Ammons, and Lelia Ammons.

       Arpil 18, 1936, a special conference was called to grant letters to Ed and Tenny Cloer to join Rainbow Springs Baptist Church, and Garland Fox to join a Baptist church in Gastonia, North Carolina.

       August 15, 1937, Mr. Earnest Jamison run a two week revival. Sixteen people were saved and baptized. Ellis Coggins, Joe Shook, David Rogers, Tom Henry, Mildred Mashburn, Loyd Stiwinter, Martha Higdon, Howard Crowe, Edna Henry, Bill Hasket, Betty Shook, Woodrow Webb, Myrtle Summer, Opal Stiwinter, Gene West, Kathleen Henry. Alice Hasket joined by letter.

       This was the year Margrate Henry (Aunt Peg) died. She was ninety-six years old.

       1938. Sam Young, Harvie Donalson, John T. Henry, and Bill Henry, all members of our church died.

       1938. Preacher Jamison run a twelve day revival. Saved and baptized were Martha Henry, Pearl Coggins, John Jennings, Ollie Jennings, Nina Mashburn, and Sarah Ammons. Levi Hasket joined by letter.

       Preacher Earnest Jamison used to bring his family to sing when he preached. His daughters still sing and have sung in this church at many singings.

       Many times Preacher Jamison walked across the mountain from Jackson County and if it was a good crowd he would get $8.00; other times two or three dollars. I really know he was out for the Lord and not the money.

       Preacher Jamison said one time he was having a hard time getting money to buy groceries. And he said he was at the end of what he could do. He said he just knelt down and told the Lord it was all in his hands whether him and his family had groceries or not. He said he had to go to town anyway to see about some other things and had just gone a little way when he met Frank Clouse coming to get him to come and preach his daddy, Mack Clouse's, funeral. Frank Clouse gave him $5.00 and Mr. Jamison said "thank you, Lord, you work in mysterious ways". The next day he came to Sugar Fork and preached Mack Clouse's funeral.

       August, 1939. Leslie Young and Ruby Young and Laura Henry joined by letter. Kate Mincey was saved and baptized in a fifteen day revival run by Bill Breedlove.

1939. During the year Jake Henry and Frank Jennings passed away. Preacher Earnest Jamison preached Grandpaw Henry's funeral.

       June, 1940, Mrs. Catherine Ammons, Jimmy Ammons' mother, died.

       1940. In August, a two week revival run by William Breedlove. Eight people were saved and baptized: Stella Coggins, Roy Rogers, Virginia Coggins, Irene Rogers. Mayme Ammons, Freda Mincey, Hattie Nell Henry, Charles Mincey. Two deacons were ordained at this time, Walter Young and Robert Henry.

       September, 1940. A seventeen day revival was run by Rev. Hobert Rogers. Pearl Hedden was saved and the whole church renewed. Bertha Summer and some others shouted all over the church.

       Robert Henry and some of his children used to walk on to church early at night to light the lamps. One night some of his girls were with him. It was almost dark and the inside of the church was dark. The girls said, "Daddy let's don't go in til someone else comes, it's dark". Two old women who came to all the church services, Mrs. Addie Clouse and Mrs. Ann Ammons, who had a real deep voice, had come on early and had sat down about middle ways of the church. Mrs. Ann, who had heard the girls, spoke out of the darkness and said, "There's nothing to be afraid of in the house of the Lord". Robert said the girls caught up with him at the foot of the hill and he was still running.

       In the old church we had rough benches, and at a revival meeting one night, the boy I was with and me were sitting about middle way of the bench. The old church was almost full, and when some more people came in we had to slide over. When the preacher finished his sermon and gave the alter call, he asked the Christians to stand up. The boy I was with didn't move. Then the preacher asked all who would like to be saved to stand up; he still didn't move. The preacher and everybody turned to look at him, because in the old days you made some kind of a move. After the service was dismissed, he told me he had tore the seat of his pants and was going to have to back out of the church.

       1942. Mr. Levi Hasket, another member of our church passed away.

       January 15, 1942. Sunday school will be every Sunday afternoon at 1:30 until warmer weather.

       August, 1942. A revival run by Wade Nickelson and Pastor William Breedlove lasted two weeks and ten people were saved: Betty Kate Dunn, Dave Henry, Fred Ammons, Kell Jones, Furman Mashburn, Wiley Henry, David Mashburn, Rose Coggins, Bobby Henry, and Nannie Ammons.

       February, 1942. At a business meeting, Charlie Jones was elected to be Church Clerk to take place of Fred Rogers who was moving away. Jimmie Ammons was elected superintendent for the coming year.

       February, 1943. John C. Henry, twenty-three years old at that time, was reported missing in action on February 18. It sure was a sad time for the church people and his family, but people felt lots better when we learned he had been captured instead of killed, although John had a hard time.

       September 19, 1944. Irene Houston received a telegram stating that her husband, Beulon C. Houston, had been killed in action in France.

       September 9, 1945. After a two week revival run by Lee Crawford, Homey and Tishie Moses were saved and baptized in the creek below Robert Henry's. As they started to wade out of the water after he had baptized them, Lee Crawford said "Amen and Amen". A little boy on the bank said, "Oh, no preacher, a men and a women". Others saved were Edna Moses, Hazel Moses, Phylis Moses.

       April 4, 1946, was a sad time for Ellijay. Edna Henry Roberts, twenty-four years old, passed away. Lee Crawford and Gordon Scruggs preached her funeral. Her thoughtfullness and attractive personality had made her a host of friends.

       August, 1946. Saved in a two week meeting run by Gordon Scruggs and Lee Crawford - ten people were saved and baptized: Bucky Moses, Charlie Moore, Bill, Harold and Frances Keener, Virginia Moses, Rosa Lee Mashburn, Linda and Jackie Evit, and Cora Ammons.

       Ethel Moore and Gordon Evit joined by letter. Claude Higdon who had been saved in a earlier meeting, was baptized.

       December, 1946. A business meeting was called to approve spending 40 cents for oil and globes for the lamps. Wade Nickelson was elected pastor for the coming year. Gardy Henry was put in charge of seeing about getting a new church built. A committee was appointed to help him - Fred Mincey, Charlie Moore, Robert Henry, and Albert Rogers. Nannie Mincey and Joe Henry were appointed on the Finance Committee.

       January 2, 1947. On this Sunday morning Zollie Buchanan, thirty-nine year old veteran, was found dead in the road by Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Evit and their daughters. They were on their way to church. Mr. Buchanan is buried on this hill.

       April 3, 1947, You have all heard of car recks. Well April 3, 1947, two young people who went to Sunday school here had a bicycle wreck down in Higdonville. Jerry Young and Clifton Young. Their bicycle broke in two. Clifton Young had a bad cut on his leg and Jerry got banged up pretty good.

       1947. The old church was sold to Joe Henry. He didn't tear it down til the other one was usable, but he said the floor joist were made of the finest black walnut he had ever seen and were still sound. Joe said the framing was so weak that the old church had surely been standing by the grace of God.

       July 1947, Harry Vance elected pastor.

       In August, 1947, Harry Vance and Carl Crisp run a revival. Eight people were saved and baptized: Edith Henry, Howard Mincey, Jim Young, Marcellus Woods, Troy and Wade Rogers, Conrad Henry, Doris Woods. Dan Bishop joined by letter.

       1948. On June 1st, Charlie Mincy died and on October 7 of the same year his wife, Aunt Nannie Mincey, died. Also during the year two more members of our church died: David Rogers and Allen Mashburn. This was a sad year for they will all be missed.

       1948. The church called a conference to approve the plans for the new church. Robert Rogers made a talk on what kinds of material would be best to use.

       The new church was started the 23rd day of November, 1948. Jim Young poured the first bucket of mortor mix for the blocks to be laid. And David Mashburn hauled blocks all day on his truck. David had the mumps and thought he had the sore throat. The good Lord was surely looking after David that day.

       Fred Mincey made the steeple knob for the top of the church.

       January 2, 1949. Joe Bishop who was pastor of the old church and the first pastor of this one filled his regular appointment. Sixty one people were out to hear him.

       May 18, 1949. the last service was held in the old church on a Wednesday night prayer service. The old church was full. It was a night of joy because of the new church, but also a night of sadness to see the old church that held so many memories go.

       May 22, 1949. The new church held its first service. It was not complete but usable. The first speaker in the new church was Keith R. Pulgsegger, Everett Syeberg and another boy. They were from Bob Jones University, Greenville, South Carolina. He preached on the 10th chapter of Daniel. This was on Leslie Young's 41st birthday.

       July 31, 1949. the church elected Lee Crawford pastor for the year,

       August, 1949. The church held a revival run by Lee Crawford, William Sorrells and Ottie Buchanan. Twenty people were saved and baptized: Pete Moses, Lester Mincey, Zane Woods, Joe Moses, Jerry Young, Riley Henry, Jakey, Nina and Carrie Lee Henry, Earl Mincey, Betty Keener, Hester Peek, Charles Peek, Ann Henry, Melba Moses Laverene, Ray and Wardie Young, Billie Henry and Mae Gibson.

       We had several unmarked graves in our cemetery. We wanted to level the graves and sow grass, but we were afraid we would lose some graves. Fred Mincey came up with the idea of buying a small stone for each unmarked grave and putting a number on the stone. The rows of graves were numbered. This was put on a chart, so the people could find the name and number of the stone and row on the chart and go to the grave. This we did and it has worked out fine. The chart is in the back of the church.

       July 2, 1950. Rev. Zollie Fox elected pastor for year 1950. Mr. Henry Peek passed away.

       September 9, 1950. A two week revival run by Pastor Zollie Fox and Rev. Wesley Pressley. Alice Mashburn and Mildred Bishop were saved and baptized.

       Canton Henry and Fred Mincey nearly always were delegates from our church to the association. They enjoyed this and learned lots of interesting things and had lots of good times.

       October 12, 1951. Allen Berry, Jean Mincey and Maxine Moore were saved at morning church service and were baptized.

       November 1951. Mrs. Ruth Adams letter was granted so she could join a Baptist Church in Spray, Oregon.

       March 23, 1952. W. N. Cook elected pastor to fill out the year.

       1952. In January the church finished paying for wiring the church, and for the markers for the unmarked graves.

       June 10, 1952, Jim Rogers a nineteen year old boy when the old church was built, passed away.

       July 6, 1952, Rev. Frank Reed was elected pastor for the coming year. Dan Bishop, Church Clerk, and Fred Mincey, Superintendent.

       1953. January. Alex Moore made a talk at our church. He was pretty old at this time, somewhere in his 90's.

       1953. Mrs. Carrie Moses Henry passed away. She was born March 4, 1872, and married Jake Henry March 7, 1927.

       September, 1953. Leonard Peek and Fred Mincey were ordained as deacons. The preachers helping in this were Pastor Frank Reed, Jarvis Undewood, Bill Shields and Lee Crawford. The deacons helping were Fred Corbin, Jim Thomson, Gordon Smith, Ted Higdon; Rev. Bill Shields, gave the charge and Rev. Lee Crawford let the Ordination Prayer.

       July 10, 1954. Rev. Lee Crawford was elected pastor for coming year.

       January 4, 1955, Roy Albert Rogers passed away.

       July, 1955, Walter Middleton was called to pastor our church.

       May, 1956, Kansas Stewart and family gave the land below the church to be used for whatever the church had need of.

       July 21, 1956, Rev. J. T. Underwood was elected pastor for coming year.

       December 23, 1956, Rev. Jim McCall preached.

       June 23, 1957, Rev. Oscar Nix was elected pastor for coming year.

       February, 1958. Joe Asher sent a $25.00 check to be used to help put water to the church. Lester Mincey and Loyd were hired to cut and haul a cord of wood to burn at the church.

       June 4, 1958, Oscar Nix run a revival meeting. Billie and Jean Moses were saved and baptized.

       Oscar Nix was one of the pastors we all loved and he believed in telling it like it was. He told me one time he had his doubts about men and women when the preacher had to reach and get their hand to shake and then give it back to them.

       November 18, 1958. Pete Moses, a member of our church died. He had married Martha Taylor March 7, 1927.

       December, 1958. Ruby Young was elected to see that flowers from our church were sent to the sick or dead from our church. This is a practice we still carry on.

       September 16, 1959, Another member of our church, Alex Ammons, passed away.

       June 9, 1960. Rev. Lawson Snyder elected pastor for coming year.

       Mrs. Henry Peek, a member of our church, passed away December 31, 1961.

       1961. Mrs. Sally Moore, wife of Parker Moore, died. They were married July 4, 1909. He died on August 4, 1932.

       June 24, 1962. We elected Rev. Lee Crawford pastor for coming year.

       December 17, 1962, Parker Adams, a member of our church died. He was married in 1907 to Polly Price who died in 1931.

       September 1, 1963. Rev. Joe Bishop elected pastor for coming year.

       February 22, 1963. Lee Crawford, who was pastor of our church, died. Everyone loved Lee and really missed him.

       December, 1963. Mrs. Hulda Price Buchanan passed away and was buried here on Christmas Day. There was snow all over the cemetery. It made a sad Christmas for a lot of people.

       February 5, 1964. Rev. Lawson Snyder passed away. He had been pastor of the church.

       December 26, 1964. Viola Dills Young, or as we all knew her, Maw Young, died. She was born April 12, 1877, and was married to Jake Young on August 16, 1894. The church and whole community missed Maw Young.

       February 6, 1965. Charlie Emanuel Moore, a fifteen year old boy when the old church was built, passed away. He was married to Mamie Rogers.

       1965. Michael Dillinger was elected as pastor of our church. This was Mike's first church. Mike is the son of one of our former members, Blanche Mincey Dillinger, and grandson of Charlie and Nannie Mincey. Mike married a member from our church, Mildred Bishop. Mike went out in the highways and hedges, even the cornfields and compelled them to come to church. My husband, Oscar Adams, was one of the ones he got in the cornfield.

       June 30, 1965. Charlie Rogers passed away. He was one of the young builders of the old church.

       February 8, 1966. We bought a new piano from Ward Piano Company.

       November 9, 1966. Louisa Rogers passes away. She was Charlie Rogers' wife.

       1968, June 9. Rev. Wilbur preached a week here. He was from Selma, North Carolina.

       Leonard Peek, one of our older deacons never misses a service if he can help it and he took part in training union until his eyes got so the light bothered him about reading, but he is still in his place just the same.

       November, 1968. Gordon Evitt passed away. There was still snow on the ground. He was Eva Evitt's husband.

       Jim Raby wasn't a member of our church, He wasn't a preacher, but he made many memories in the old church and in this one. He run singing schools and he always brought singers to the homecomings. I sure did love to hear him sing Pearly White City. One homecoming he didn't have his singers and he asked my mother to help him sing some old songs someone had requested. She helped him sing two that I remember - Indian Convert and Deliverance Will Come.

       April 15,  1968. Mrs. Ester Henry, a member of our church and a former Sunday school teacher, passed away.

       Walter Young, another one of our older deacons and song leader here for years will always be remembered for all the good things he did in church and the community.

       June 16, 1968. Ellijay Baptist Church elected Gene Hawkins as pastor.

       November 13, 1969. Jack Moore died. He was born April 14, 1874, and was nineteen years old when the old church was built.

       January, 1970. Mrs. Ollie Shook passed away. The church really felt the loss. As long as she could come she was here. She was a faithful member and Sunday school teacher in the old church and in this one. She was a great inspiration to the whole church. She even came when she had  to be helped in and out of the church. She came to prayer meetings and training union and if you missed many services, she came to your house to see what was wrong.

       Bessie Mincey will be  remembered as church clerk, Sunday school teacher and singer in our church. The song I loved to hear her sing was "No Tears in Heaven". She died June 8th, 1975.

       Eva Evitt one of our members who is now in a nursing home, was always in church every time we had a service. I'll always remember the first time I saw her in the old church. She was singing alto in the singing class and I thought she was the tallest woman I had ever seen. She has sung alto in this church as long as she was able and taught a Sunday school class for years.

       September, 1971. Robert and Laura Henry gave a strip of land up the side  of the church we use for a parking lot.

       1972. February 9, 1972, Mr. Jim Ammons died. October 24, Lester Mincey died. He was Charlie Mincey's son.

       1973. June 17, We elected Bill Clark pastor for the coming year. He was raised on the head of Ellijay and one of his sisters is a missionary. They came to church here when they were growing up. His parents are buried here or it may be his grand parents.

       Our church feels real proud to have had a hand in giving some young preachers their chance to pastor a church for the first time. Lawson Snyder, Michael Dillinger, Gene Hawkins and Morris Wilson.

       1975. We elected Morris Wilson. We didn't know Morris but we took him on faith and we were not sorry. We requested Shortoff Baptist Church to ordain Morris, which they did. His wife, Elaine, played the piano, and tied the knot for Morris to hang on when he gets to the end of his rope. If you need help of any kind, you just have to let them know and they were there helping you and backing you up with their prayers. I owe a lot to Morris and Elaine.

       In 1976, our church, with the help of Bible Baptist Church and a whole lot of interested people, raised money and blacktopped the road to the cemetery and church.

       1976. We ordained three new deacons: Howard Bishop, Carl Mincey and Merlan Bowman. Rev. Cecil Frady brought the message to the deacons.

       May 10, 1977. Mr. Vance Jennings, a member of our church passed away.

       In October, 1977, A. L. White, Jr. gave the land below the church to the road to be used as an addition to the cemetery or whatever the church need it for.

       November 14, 1977, Fred Mincey passed away.

       Materially we feel we have come a long way. We have put in rest rooms, paneled our church, painted the church and insulated it. Mrs. Sue Bishop's aunt gave us the carpet we have down. The W. M. U.  women bought the drapes and some of the folding chairs with money they raised. Walter Lee Henry and his wife had the church sign at the foot of the hill painted, and Walter hung it. In the church yard one Sunday after services, Sandra Adams asked Randy Rogers to go home with her. Randy said, "Sandy that makes me so happy, I feel so good. Now, I'll tell you I can't go and that will make you real happy and we are both going home feeling real good".

       1978. I call this part biting off more than you can chew. Well, we have done this here a few times. For years we used plywood on saw horses for tables, but they got old and warped and when you set something heavy on the end of the table, someone out in the middle of the table might have their beans hop right up in their face. The church decided to build tables out of concrete. After the men met and poured the concrete in forms outside the church by the blacktop, they poured legs up at the table site; when the concrete set, eight men went to church to carry the table tops up to set on the legs. They thought four men on each end could do this without any trouble. the eight men were Preacher Morris Wilson, Conrad Henry, Howard Bishop, Dan Bishop, Carl Mincey, Merlan Bowman, Mike Wilson, Ronal Talley. Ronal Talley told the men to all get on one end and he would carry the other. Well, all eight men couldn't lift one end. They had to send for a front end loader. Guess what? It couldn't lift the table tops either. they had to send for a bulldozer, and finally they got the table tops in place. Preacher Morris Wilson figured out that each table top weighed 2800 pounds. Dan Bishop said he had never felt so foolish in his life as he did when he tried to help pick up a 2800 pound block of cement. I've not asked Ronal Talley what he thought.

       April 9, 1978. We ordained another new deacon, Sam Tallent. Rev. Earl Dendy brought the message and Morris Wilson brought the charge.

       In November, 1978, we lost another member of our church, Leslie Young. He was always in the singing class as long as he was able to come. He and Ruby came to prayer meeting and training union, and he thought you should come every service and not just once a year at preacher election. So always on election day out in the yard, Leslie would say, "I'll see you next year at preacher elections", and that's about how long it was too for some people.

       1979. C L. Waldroup brought the message at the June homecoming. This was enjoyed by everybody.

       1979. The church bought two flags and the Woodsmen of the World presented them to the church on a special Sunday program.

       In 1978 and 1979, we insulated the church and raised money and put in new pews. Oscar Adams and Sam Tallent bought some of the chairs for the class rooms. Some families of the church had the gas stoves taken out and put in new electric heat.

       1980. Mrs. Gladys Elmore bought the pulpit for the church in memory of her mother and daddy, Charlie and Louisa Rogers.

       The church bought the communion table and two chairs.

       One of our young deacons, Carl Mincey, and also our singing leader, works hard to have a good singing every third Saturday night. He has come up with some real good singers and one person was saved in a singing. we owe a lot to Carl.

       June 1, 1980. Earl and Edith Mincey bought the old pulpit and took it with them to Gastonia.

       Jim and Margie Waldroup gave the gold plated flower urn to the church in memory of Margie's father and mother, Charlie and Nannie Mincey.

       On Friday night, February 29, 1980, the Ellijay Baptist Church and Buck Creek Baptist Church jointly had a benefit singing for Edison Ammons. Hunter Young's singers, the Happy Melodies, the Joyful sounds, and the Bible Way Singers contributed their time.

       March 25, 1980, Edison Ammons passed away.

       March 28, 1980, Lawson Shook passed away. Both were members of our church.

       February 13, 1980, Frank Henry passed away.

       Mrs. Octia Phillips Shook, a member of our church who joined several years ago, is someone we can count on when she is able to come. She plays the piano, and fills her place in her class, and when she is not here we miss her.

       We have had several weddings in our church:

       Mike and Mildred Dellinger

       Wesley and Vickie Peek

       Richie and Shelly Beal

       Merla and Helen Bowman

       Dave and Joan Eberly

       Alvin and Brenda Clay

       Roger and Nancy Adams

       Mrs. Rosalee Mashburn Wood's daughter has made a lawyer. She is the granddaughter of Grady and Jane Mashburn. From our church we have had school teachers, preachers, missionaries, herb doctors, midwives, Civil War Veterans, First World War Veterans, and World War II Veterans and Korean War Veterans. Only one from our community, John Henry, was a prisoner of war, and only one from our community was killed in active duty, Beulon Houston.

       I think we have the prettiest cemetery anywhere in the world. When we have a working our church and Bible Baptist Church and some other people that have loved ones buried here, all meet and it doesn't take long to get it in good shape again. We have a fund to take care of the mowing of the grass and whatever is needed in between workings. Bible Baptist Church pays one-half for mowing and upkeep, and lots of other people give to the upkeep of the cemetery that can't be here all the time and they want to do their part.

       October 26, 1980. The church elected Ricky Harrell pastor. He, his wife, Frances, and two children, Bill and Cindy, are a real inspiration to our church. Little Bill was saved in one morning service. Ricky has trouble keeping up with his Bible, but he really doesn't need it; God gives him the message and he delivers.

       April 5, 1981. My little granddaughter, five years old, told her grandpaw, when he was giving out the money for them to put in Sunday school, "Paw, they have upped the money at church".

       April 19,,, 1981. Easter Sunday, Wanda Talley was saved in the morning service. This sure made a happy Easter.

       May 10, 1981. Mother's Day 66 present at church. Laura Henry was the oldest mother and had five of  her children present. Vickie Young Peek was the youngest mother. Her two year old son, Mark, when he saw her at the front of the church said, "I'd better get up there".

       Yes, we have done a lot of material things for our church which is good. But the spiritual things we feel the best about. Each year we add some members to our church by profession of faith and baptism, acceptance by statement of faith and by church letters.

       I get a blessing every time I come to church. I get a happy feeling just coming up the hill.

       I really love the homecomings, the preaching, singing, and seeing all the people, but the homecoming I'm really looking for is the one in Heaven. It won't be one day a year; it's going to last forever. Can you imagine all the good times we have had here today lasting forever, and the best part is all the people who started the old church and have gone on, they are there. I'm ready and I hope you are too for God is going to be there at the door to welcome us in. Sometimes when I come over here to pray in the alter, I feel like if I reached out my hand I could touch God. But when we get to Heaven, I'm going to shake his hand and kiss his feet.

        We should all walk a little straighter and stand a little taller knowing we are descendants of the old people of the Ellijay Missionary Baptist Church. I feel real proud to be a descendent of the old church, don't you?

                                                                                               Thank you all

                                                                                               Irene Adams