Provine Family

Provine Family
5th Generation from John Provine 1751-1792

Back to "Our Family History" Home Page

Back to "Provine Family" Home Page
    Provine History Introduction
    Provine History Generation 1
    Provine History Generation 2
    Provine History Generation 3
    Provine History Generation 4

    Provine History Index of Names



            GEORGE ELLIOTT PROVINE (5), son of William Steele and Ada V. (Purdum) Provine, was born November 9, 1880 in Scotland Twp., McDonough County, Illinois. On January 29, 1903 he was married to Margaret I. Hammer in Macomb, McDonough County, Illinois. She was born August 28, 1879.  
            George died August 20, 1957. Both are buried in Pennington Point Cemetery, McDonough County, Illinois. 


            ROSS HARVEY PROVINE (5), son of William Steele and Ada V. (Purdum) Provine, was born January 30, 1883 in Illinois. He married Bernice Laughlin on September 5, 1906.


            ETHEL MARGARET PROVINE  (5), daughter of William Steele and Ada V. (Purdum) Provine, was born April 19, 1888 in Illinois. She married Francis Allison on February 8, 1910.            


            ZELLA MARY PROVINE (5), daughter of William Steele and Ada V. (Purdum) Provine, was born January 9, 1891 in Illinois. She married William Barclay on February 19, 1920.           


            NINA BELLE OWEN (5), daughter of Thomas G. and Sarah Isabel (Provine) Owen, was born November 15, 1861. She married Henry Atchison.            


            LINA MAY OWEN (5), daughter of Thomas G. and Sarah Isabel (Provine) Owen. She married, first, Frank Nash. May divorced Frank and married, second, Burton Parsons of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. He lived but four years following their marriage, dying on April 23, 1907, leaving her a resident of Vancouver. 


            HALLIE OWEN (5), daughter of Thomas G. and Sarah Isabel (Provine)  Owen, married twice, the second time being to Jack Tainsh, Canadian born but a resident of the U.S.           


            BERTHA PROVINE (5), daughter of William Martin and Mary (Murray) Provine, was born January 27, 1871 in Galesburg, Knox County, Illinois. She graduated from Oxford College of Miami University at Oxford, Ohio in 1891. The following year she attended the graduate school of English at the University of Chicago. Bertha traveled abroad extensively and afterward taught history for nine years at Oxford College, then taught English for one year at Fairmont Seminary in Washington, D.C. and afterwards taught English at Taylorville High School. In 1903 she organized the Study Class, an organization of women graduates of Taylorville High School, in which she was active until her later years. She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Taylorville, and the Taylorville Woman’s Club.
            Bertha died on January 16, 1958 in Taylorville, and is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery. She never married. 


            WALTER M. PROVINE (5), son of William Martin and Mary (Murray) Provine was born November 23, 1873 in Taylorville, Christian, Illinois. He was a lifelong resident of Taylorville, becoming a prominent local attorney, and one of their esteemed citizens. He attended Cornell University, was admitted to the Illinois Bar in 1897, and practiced law in association with his father. He was mayor of Taylorville from 1913 to 1915, served as a state representative from 1926 to 1931, was president of the Illinois State Bar Association in 1918 and 1919, among many other accomplishments. He never married.
            On January 25, 1955, while on a business trip, he died of a sudden heart attack in the New Jersey Central Railroad Terminal at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey while waiting to board a train to return to Taylorville.


            EDWIN ROY WINANS (5), son of Aaron and Mary Katherine (Provine) Winans, was born November 4, 1874 in Albany, Whiteside County, Illinois. He married Maud R. O'Loughlin on October 26, 1904 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
            Roy was a lawyer for a time with the law firm of Kitteridge, Winans, & Scott. He was also an Indian agent for the Oglala Sioux, in Pierre, South Dakota. He was very highly regarded by the Indians and was always called to settle disputes.
            He died June 17, 1921 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in a car accident.           


            RALPH LEWIS WINANS (5), son of Aaron and Mary Katherine (Provine) Winans, was born January 4, 1876 in Illinois. On March 12, 1898 in Albany, Whiteside County, Illinois he married, first, Elsie V. Day. Ralph was a teacher.  
            Elsie died March 29, 1902. 
He married, second, __________. He died in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 


            ELLIS  FRAYNE PROVINE (5), son of Albert Gardner and Sarah Ann (Frayne) Provine, was born March 4, 1883. He was married on January 18, 1911 to, first, Maybelle Murphy, in Chicago. They later moved to Seattle, Washington, he being in the lumber business.  Maybelle died at the birth of a daughter in February 1920. 
He married, second, in June 1921, Frances Murphy, sister to Maybelle. Frances was born September 20, 1897 and died August 12, 1992.
            Ellis died in May 1978 and is buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Seattle.


            NELLIE PROVINE  (5), daughter of Albert Gardner and Sarah Ann (Frayne)  Provine, was born February 5, 1885. She was married in Seattle, King County, Washington on June 16, 1909 to Arnold Morley Horder. He was born in London, but became a naturalized American. They lived first in Seattle, and Vancouver, B.C., then in Japan and China and finally settled back in Seattle.
           Nellie died in August 1978 in Mercer Island, King County, Washington.    


            LOIS PROVINE (5), daughter of Albert Gardner and Sarah Ann (Frayne)  Provine, was born August 2, 1887. She married John (Jack) Locke Platt  in Seattle, King County, Washington.
            Lois died in 1972 in Seattle and is buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Seattle.           


            RUSSELL ALBERT PROVINE (5), son of Albert Gardner and Sarah Ann (Frayne) Provine, was born in Kansas on October 5, 1890. He married Olive Kuehler in Seattle, Washington. She was born Jun 18, 1898 and died May 5, 1989. He died July 7, 1959 at the age of 69 years, in Seattle.           


            ELINOR PROVINE THOMPSON (5), daughter of Ellis and Margaret Caroline (Provine) Thompson, was born June 6, 1885 in Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas. She married Charles Addison Cantrell at the home of his parents in Benton, Franklin County, Illinois on April 6, 1906. Charles was born in Benton on December 11, 1882, son of William Scott and Jane (Burnett)  Cantrell. Charles and Elinor settled in Benton and had five children. They later moved to Dallas, Texas. As a young girl Elinor won the State prize as pianist. She studied music in Chicago under Rudolph Ganz and was accompanist for Madam Schumann Heink, a famous singer. Elinor was active in the Red Cross during World War I.
            Charles died February 10, 1939 in Dallas, Texas. Elinor died October 10, 1961 in Hinsdale, Illinois. Both are buried in St. Charles cemetery, St. Louis.            


            DELL LESTINE NELSON (5), daughter of Edmond B. and Martha Ellen (Provine) Nelson, was born June 25, 1875 in Vermont, Fulton County, Illinois. She was known as “Aunt Bob” to her nieces and nephews. On June 18, 1901, in Vermont, she married Rev. William James Leach, a native of Canada. William was a Methodist minister in Peoria, and also was a reporter for the Peoria Evening Star newspaper. The circumstances under which he died were very peculiar. He had spoken out and written against the Chicago Mafia who were running booze down the river to Peoria from Chicago. He had received several threats but did not pay any attention. He went to speak in Morton one night (April 12 or June 17, 1922) and never came home. Three days later they found his body in the Illinois River. Following his death, “Bob” studied and became an ordained minister. She served as pastor of a small mission church in Peoria for four years and later was pastor of the Community church in Morton, Illinois, for several years. She and her daughter Martha moved to Delaware, Ohio where she acted as house mother at Ohio Wesleyan University until Martha graduated. The University had a group of players called the Wayfarers who traveled around in the summer putting on plays. Aunt Bob traveled with them as chaperone. Ewart Turner and Martha were both part of the troupe. The day after Martha graduated from Ohio Wesleyan, Martha and Ewart Turner were married. Aunt Bob came home to Vermont, Illinois in 1929 and lived with her mother, and her sister, Eily. She also completed a year in the Vermont Methodist church when the pastor died.              She died on July 8, 1954 in Syracuse, New York while on an extended visit to her daughter, Martha.


            DANA (Dane) GREEN NELSON (5), son of Edmond B. and Martha Ellen (Provine) Nelson, was born on September 28, 1885. He was named after Samuel Dana Green, who was the executive officer on the “Monitor”, although he never learned what the connection was to that family. As a young man, Dane worked for his father in the hardware store his father built. He traveled and worked many places in the west for over 10 years, such as San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco both before and after the big earthquake. He said the hotel where he had stayed went down like a stack of cards. He also worked in Portland, Oregon and Seattle. He worked at a gold mine in Idaho which is still there. Dane’s father, Edmond, came and took him out of that job as he had heard it was very dangerous. Dane always said he would work a while in the hardware store in Vermont and save his money and then take a train and go west again. When he was 32 years old he married Stella May Smith  on November 17, 1917. She was born July 10, 1896 to Henry Ayers and Mary S. (Horwedel) Smith. Since she was 21 to his 32 he always laughed and said he was waiting for her to grow up. After they were married he stayed with the hardware store in Vermont, Illinois. When his father retired Dane took over the store and his sister, Eily, kept the books. In 1947 Dane retired and sold the store to Gerald Ross Wilson, who later married Dane’s daughter, Lorena.
Dane was a great hunter and fisherman. He also shot a lot of blue rocks or trap. He was very good.
After he retired, he and his wife, Stella, went to Florida in the winter. Stella’s health went bad and she had to live in a nursing home. Dane went to live with his daughter for 2-1/2 years. He was also a member of the Masonic lodge for 70 years. 
Dane passed away on February 24, 1980. Stella died January 30, 1978. They both died in Vermont, Fulton County, Illinois.            


                EILY EDMOND NELSON (5), daughter of Edmond B. and Martha Ellen (Provine)  Nelson, was born October 28, 1888 in Vermont, Fulton County, Illinois. She was an accomplished pianist. She was taken out of high school and sent to Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois. She graduated in piano and organ. She gave piano lessons in her home for many years, teaching the whole countryside around Vermont and Ipava. She was known as “Miss Eily”. She also kept books for her father’s hardware store for many years. She was a member of the Vermont Methodist Church where she served as organist.  
            Eily died November 28, 1961 in Vermont. She is buried in the Vermont, Fulton County, Illinois cemetery. She never married.  


                 PAUL LEVIS PROVINE (5), son of Henry Fillmore and Phebe Ann (Levis)  Provine, was born August 10, 1881 in Burrton, Harvey County, Kansas. On September 10, 1903 in Seattle, he married Amelia Tetzloff. She was born July 10, 1882 in McPherson County, Kansas. Her son, Phillip, tells a little bit about Amelia:
“With respect to my mother’s background I know very little, I am sorry to say. Mother and her brother “Eddie” and their parents left Hutchinson, Kansas by wagon train bound for San Francisco.  Then via boat to Seattle where Mother and Eddie were placed in a German school.  Grandmother Tetzloff had died en route. Grandad Tetzloff had had some training in mining engineering in Germany but couldn’t seem to earn enough to support himself and his two children. However, things changed for the better. A Mrs. Louis Haller took a liking to mother and even though she had three daughters of her own, she took mother in and raised her as another daughter.”  Her brother Eddie took the Haller name. 
 Paul and Amelia were later divorced. Amelia died December 1, 1936 and is buried in Washelli Cemetery in Seattle, King County, Washington.
Paul married, second, Edna Luella Ott, on July 4, 1937. They were later divorced.    
            Paul died September 1, 1973 in Des Moines, King County, Washington. He is buried in Kent, King County, Washington.  


            ADA LOUISE PROVINE (5), daughter of Henry Fillmore and Phebe Ann (Levis) Provine, was born April 24, 1884 in Fergus Falls, Ottertail County, Minnesota. She married George Frederick Leighton on October 28, 1903 in Seattle, King County, Washington. He was born in Republic County, Kansas on May 17, 1883 to George Mitchell and Anna Frances (Small)  Leighton.  
            Fred died May 4, 1963 in Seattle. Louise died on March 16, 1968 in Seattle. Both are buried in Acacia Cemetery, Seattle.



Harriet Mae LEIGHTON, b.  7 Mar 1905; d.  25 June 1989 in Anchorage, AK; unmarried.  Buried at Acacia Memorial Park, Seattle.



Winifred Jean LEIGHTON, b.  29 Nov 1910; d. 30 Jun 1999; unmarried.


            MARGARET CAROLINE PROVINE (5), daughter of Henry Fillmore and Phebe Ann (Levis) Provine, was born March 20, 1893 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. On September 9, 1913 she married John (Jack) Alexander Strang Ross in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. His parents were John Peter and Annie Mary (Swenerton) Ross. He was born on January 17, 1889 in Exeter, Ontario, Canada.   
            Her story: 
I was born March 20th, 1893 at 4 o’clock p.m. in Salt Lake City. We moved to Seattle, Washington when I was a very small child. My first memories were of the waterfront and boats. Second Avenue had board sidewalks, a steep hill was at the north, a large hotel was built on top, a cable car ran up to it from the street. A very special treat was going up there on Sunday afternoon for dinner.
            My father worked for a while in a large lumber company, then after a year or two started his own business. He bought some acreage about two blocks from Green Lake. It had a stream running though the back of it. He built a home, rather small, on it and we lived there until I think I was about 4 years.  He sold it and on another piece built a large place. 
I started first grade at the Green Lake school where I went until third grade. Then my father sold the home and bought one on Capital Hill. I entered St. Roses Academy which was at that time on Madison and Twelfth. When Holy Names Academy was built on 21st I went there, it was not far from our home. 
My father bought five acres on Lake Washington, we built a summer house on it;  named it Briercrest. The name is still used out there. He sold the home and we lived in an apartment in the winter. My Uncle Martin , father’s oldest brother and Aunt Mary  came out to visit us late in the summer and they persuaded my parents to let me go visit with them that winter. I had other Aunts and many cousins around in Illinois. My uncle was a lawyer in Taylorville, near Springfield. I had a wonderful winter there. I came back in the spring and was not interested in going back to school. Only finished 3 years of high school, too bad, I regretted it later. 
My father had a chance to invest in a hardwood and inside finish of all kinds at Vancouver B.C.  He was to manage it for a Calgary, Alberta company. He sold all his properties including the summer home on Lake Washington and invested everything in the Vancouver project. That was in late 1910.  Everything went very well until World War One started and eventually Canada was drawn in. Business gradually stopped as far as building was concerned. In the meantime I started dating John (Jack) Alexander Strang Ross, he came out on holiday from Calgary but never went back. My father got a job as bookkeeper for him at the Eburn sawmill. We were married September 9th, 1913. 
Jack and I came down by boat to Seattle for a few days, then back to Vancouver. We took a small apartment in Eburn, stayed there several months. I became pregnant and very ill. My father rented a large home out on Larch Street. We moved there and stayed until Leighton was about eight months old. Mother and Father rented an apartment in the west end and Jack and I one on Nelson. In the meantime, the company said they could not carry on so things were closed out. Could not get any money from the stock as nothing was being bought in any line. My father lost a great deal of money, his health was getting very poor so decided we would all come back to Seattle where my father was well known and could start in again. He started buying from mills and bringing lumber in to a yard he had started and selling it to contractors. He did very well, started a fuel business around Green Lake, too. The United States started preparing for war so business began to fall off, too. He sold the fuel company but continued on with the lumber. Jack got a job as bookkeeper in the big saw mill at Snohomish (later burned). We moved there where we lived for about three years. Mother and father bought a home for themselves on (looks like “bq”) and we bought on near them. We lived there until Leighton  was about four years old. Then my father bought several acres out on Aurora Avenue about 105th. He built a home for himself. Next Paul  (my brother) built a house for his family. Then Jack and I had a small place put up. Jack had a chance to start in as Salesman for Oriental rugs at Gate Rankin Furniture Co. Then he was offered a better chance with Carlozian Bros. in Thrades Co. He worked there for a number of years. 
My Father died July 28th, 1922. We lived at North Park as Leighton was to go into Jr. High. We bought a home at 39th and Ashworth, near good schools. My mother sold her home and moved to an apartment not far from us. Leighton started in school and soon made friends. We had nice neighbors around us and were very content.
           War clouds became apparent once more. We had friends Blanche and Lou Starr, who bought a piece of property on Beaver Lake and built a cabin on it where they spent all their weekends. Had us up quite often, the girls loved it. We were driving back from there on Sunday night (Dec 7, 1941) when we heard over the radio that Japan had attacked Pearl Harbor. We were stunned that such a thing could happen. Everyone’s life seemed to change. Jack quit his selling and went into the shipyard as timekeeper; they needed help. I applied at Seattle General Hospital with my nephew Edward Provine’s wife’s help. She introduced me to the Nurses administrator, Miss Soper. She wanted me to get in the Diet Kitchen but there was not an opening in it so she offered me a place on the floors. I was glad to take it as we had school expenses to meet. I had never had any experience working outside of my home and the first few weeks were something I had never dreamt of going through and my feet just got so they moved by themselves. The nurses were all so nice to me and the head nurse on the floor I was to work on very understanding and made it pleasant for me. I never regretted working there. I think I really grew up and for the first time had more understanding of the world around me. I blessed every room I worked in, hoping the occupants would all get well. I worked on the floors almost a year then had a chance to be assistant in the linen room at more pay. Was pleasant work and not as hard. The manager of the linen room wanted to quit for several months so I had charge of it. I worked there for six years. 
I was offered a place at the American Linen Co. in the sewing department. I had thought I would stop working but it did not seem the right time. So I went to work in the sewing room. The machines were all power machines. It wasn’t really very hard work and a nice bunch of women were working in there so altogether, I was happy, stayed with that company eleven years. 
Jack and I had a chance to rent a small apartment at Alki Beach. We sold our home on Ashworth Avenue and moved what furniture we needed and divided the rest with the children. 
We loved it there, could look right out on the (Puget) Sound and had full view of the Olympic Range. Had wonderful neighbors. We lived there 11 years. 
My mother passed away in a nursing home before we sold our place. The nursing home was close enough so I could walk to visit her every day. 
Jack and I took a number of trips down to California and several to Salt Lake City and to Yellowstone Park. 
Jack’s health began to get somewhat bad and he had to give up selling rugs, the lifting of rugs became too much for him.            We moved to Redmond. Jack liked to put in a garden and work around the place. He burnt old stumps on the back acreage. Was content on the place. 
Jack had a heart attack on October 1st, 1961. The ambulance did not get out soon enough to get him under oxygen. A little damage resulted in his brain. He recovered and was able to get around and do things in the yard. The doctor had told me that he had a blood clot, as long as it didn’t reach a vital spot he was all right. He lived until the first of December, then went very quickly. I stayed on in the mobile, it seemed the best thing for me to do, as of now lived in it for eighteen years. 
Margaret moved back to Seattle and resided in a Masonic retirement home where she died on December 18, 1981. Jack died December 1, 1962 in Redmond, King County, Washington. They are buried in Pratt Cemetery, Alta, Wyoming.            


            MARGARET ETHEL DEAN (5), daughter of Homer G. and Ada Louise (Provine) Dean, was born on October 21, 1885 in Burrton, Harvey County, Kansas. On February 22, 1921, in Seattle, King County, Washington, she married James Kerr McDonough . He was born in 1874 and died February 10, 1947. Ethel died November 30, 1939. They both died in Seattle.            


            DWIGHT PROVINE DEAN (5), son of Homer G. and Ada Louise (Provine) Dean, was born July 26, 1888 in Lyons, Rice County, Kansas. On December 6, 1910 in Seattle, King County, Washington, he married Edith Taylor, daughter of William and Elizabeth Caroline (Cannon) Taylor. She was born September 5, 1887 in Seattle.  
            Dwight died October 1968 in Media, Pennsylvania while living with his daughter.  

End of 5th Generation and of the History

Back to "Our Family History" Home Page

Back to "Provine Family" Home Page
    Provine History Introduction
    Provine History Generation 1
    Provine History Generation 2
    Provine History Generation 3
    Provine History Generation 4

    Provine History Index of Names