Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANISHEN is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Llandenny station on the Ross, Monmouth and Pontypool branch of the Great Western railway, and 8 south-south-west from Monmouth, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Raglan, petty sessional division of Trelleck, union of Monmouth, county court district of Usk, Raglan and Trellech highway district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Denis is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a tower with spire containing 1 bell: there are 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1591.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 94, with 188 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort, who is lay rector, and held since 1897 by the Rev. Thomas Arthur Davies B.A.Lond. who is also incumbent of Trellech Grange.

There is here a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, erected in 1820. Charities producing 19 yearly are distributed in money. The Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor, and J. Bamford esq. are principal land-owners. The soil of lower Llanishen is clay; subsoil, clay, but top half is sandy soil. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,575 acres; rate-able value. 1,089; the population in 1891 was 202.

Parish Clerk, John Morris Cobner.

Post & Telegraph Ofiice.- Mrs. Eliza Phillips. sub-post-mistress. Letters through Chepstow, arrive at 9.10 a..m. & dispatched at 6.10 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Trelleck is the nearest money order office

A School Board of 7 members was formed 30 Aug. 1875. for the united district of LIanishen, Llanvihangel-tor-y-Mynydd & Trellech Grange; William Edmonds, clerk to the board; William Davis, Llanvihangel, attendance officer.

Board School, built in 1877, at a cost of 800, for 50 children; average attendance, 30; Mrs. Jane Hawkins, mistress

Davies Rev. Thomas Arthur B.A., Vicarage
Cobner John Morris, boot & shoe maker
Edmonds David, farmer, Priske cottage
Edmonds William, mason
Farr Hannah (Mrs.), farmer, Mardy farm
James John Roberts, farmer
James Thomas, Carpenters' Arms P.H.
Lewis Edwin, farmer, Llanishen court
Lewis Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Llanfair
Marrino Edwin, builder
Michael James, farmer
Morgan John, blacksmith
Preece Mark, farmer, wheelwright & joiner.
Price Edwin, farmer, Gwastod
Thomas James, farmer, Glyn farm
Walters William, farmer & mason
Williams Arthur, farmer, Graig