CWMCARN, GELLYGROES, YNYSDDU,
PENMAIN, NEWBRIDGE, PONTLLANFRAITH
MYNYDDYSLWYN is a very large parish, 2 miles from Abercarn station on the Western Valleys section of the Great Western railway, 8 west from Pontypool and 10 north-west-by-west from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Wentloog petty sessional division of Bedwellty, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Bedwellty, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The civil parish is divided into the hamlets of Clwr-plwyf, Penmaen and Mynyddmaen and includes the villages of Cwm Carn, Penmain, Gellygroes, Newbridge, Pontllanffraith, Ynysddu and Fleur-de-lis. There are two railway stations in this parish, one belonging to the Great Western Railway Company and the other to the London and North Western Railway Company, and forming together the Tredegar junction.
The church of St. Tewdwr is a spacious building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: in the church is a memorial to the Rev. John Griffiths J.P. vicar here 1860-99 : the church was rebuilt A.D. 1820, and has 550 sittings. The register dates from the year 1664. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £287, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1899 by the Rev. William Rhys Compton-Davies, L.Th., of St. David's College, Lampeter, who resides at Abercarn. Here is a Welsh Congregational chapel.
Here are extensive coal mines and iron works and stone quarries: the stone is of good quality, suitable for docks or other heavy masonry purposes. Near the church, on an eminence, is a tumulus. The trustees of the late Lady Llanover, who are lords of the manor, Lord Tredegar, John Arthur Edward Herbert esq. and John Capel Hanbury esq. of Pontypool Park, are the principal landowners. The soil is gravel; subsoil, stone . The country is very hilly and mountainous, the scenery very grand. The valley and the lower grounds are watered by the rivers Ebbw and Sirhowy. The land is nearly all laid down as pasture. The area is 5,I25 acres; rateable value, £11,121 ; the population in 1891 was 2,981 in the civil parish and 10,065 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Letters through Newport, arrive at 8.30 a.m. Abercarn is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
A School Board of 9 members was formed 30 March, 187I, for the parish; C. R. Lyne, Westgate chambers, Newport, clerk to the board; James Charles Badge, Newbridge; Williain Henry Coslett, Pontllanfraith; Job Beale, Cwmcarn, attendance officers.
Railway Station: Tredegar Junction:- Great Western, George Reeves, station master London & North Western, William Griffiths, station master
CWMCARN is a hamlet of this parish, about threequarters of a mile south from the Abercam railway station on the Western Valleys section of the Great Western railway. The iron church of St. John the Evangelist, erected in 1889, affords 250 sittings. There is also a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Ambrose Edwards, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Newport at 5.30 & 9 a.m. & 4.5 p.m. & dispatched at 7.50 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Abercarn, 1 mile distant
Board School, erected in 1891 at a cost of £1,200 & enlarged in 1893 at a cost of £1,200, for 460 children; average attendance, 320; Oliver Sutton, master; Miss Lydia Dix, mistress
GELLYGROES is a hamlet in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, near the Tredegar Junction, 13 miles northwest from Newport. Here is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
Letters through Newport arrive at 8 a.m. Pontlanffraith is the nearest money order & Blackwood, the nearest telegraph office. Wall Letter Box cleared at10.15 a.m. & 6.50 p.m. week days only.
YNYSDDU is a hamlet of this parish, having a station on the Sirhowy section, London and North Western railway, 10¼ miles north-west from Newport. Here are Baptist and Calvinistic and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Post Office.- John Hughes, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Newport at 8.55 a.m.; dispatched, 6.30 p.m. week days only. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Pontllanfraith is the nearest money order & Blackwood the nearest telegraph office
Board School, erected in 1877, at a cost of £1,500, & errlatged in 1899, for 167 children; average attendance, 101; Thomas Harries Phillips, master; Miss Susanna Evans, assistant mistress
Railway Station, James Williams, station master
PENMAIN, NEWBRIDGE and PONTLLANFRAITH have been formed into the ecclesiastical parish of Penmain and will be found under that heading.
Davies Mrs. Naomi, Pentre house
Griffiths Edward Meredith M.D. Abercarn Fach
Edwards Frederick, farmer, Tyle Gwyn
Thomas-Davies George, F.P.S., A.I.E.E. Tylacrwyth