Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

BEDWAS is a parish and village, on the river Rumney and the GlamorLanshire border, 163 miles from London, 11 miles west-by-north from Newport, and 2 Miles north from Caerphilly, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Wentloog, petty sessional division of Bedsvellty, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.

There are two railway stations on the Brecon and Merthyr railway, one at Bedwas village, and the other at Maes-y-Cwmmer; both are in the parish, but are 4 miles apart.

The church of Saint Barrog is an ancient building of stone, in the Decorated Gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave, south porch, and a western tower containing 5 bells: the church has 200 sittings. The register dates from about the year 1653. The living is a rectory, syith the chapelry of Ruddry, in the county of Glamorgan, annexed, joint net yearly value 393, including 104 acres of glebe and residence. in the gift of the, Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1891 by the Rev. George Thomas B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. There are chapels for Baptists, Congregationalists and Wesleyans at Bedwas.

The parish abounds with coal, and there are several collieries in operation, and some chemical works. Fairs are held on she 3rd of April and the, 6th of October.

Lord Tredegar, who is lord of the manor, Capt. John Glynne Richards Homfray, of Penllyne Castle, Cowbridge, Edmund Thomas esq. of Tyla Gwyn, Pontllanfraith, Newport, John Arthur Herbert esq. of Yaxley, Peterborough, and the trustees of the late Lady Llanover are the principal landowners.

The soil is light loam; subsoil, gravel and loam. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. There is much mountain land and some pasture. The area is 4,166 acres of land and 29 of water; rateable value, 6,266; the population in 1891 was 1,991.

Sexton: David Morris.

Post & M.O.O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.
Mrs. Sarah Davies, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Cardiff at 7.30 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.; dispatched at 9.30 a.m. & 7 p.m.
Caerphilly is the telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, cleared at 7.30 a.m. & 5.45 p.m.

A School Board of 5 members was formed 26 September, 1884; T. S. Edwards, 20 High street, Newport, clerk to the board; Joseph Jones, Bedwas, attendance officer.

Board School (girls & infants), for 178 children ; average attendance, 54 girls & 89 infants.
Miss Rachael Kovachich, mistress; Miss Emily Knight, infants' mistress

National School (boys'), built in 1864 by the late John Davies esq. who also endowed it for 72 boys; average attendance, 61.
Llewellyn Thomas, master

Railway Station: Charles Styles, station master

MAES-Y-CWMMER is a hamlet of the parish of Bedwas, 4 miles north, partly included in the ecclesiastical parish of Fleur-de-lis, and has a chapel of ease, built of stone, and consisting of chancel, nave, porch and a turret,, containing one bell; there are 200 sittings. The Rev. John Archibald Williams, L.Th., of Durham University, has been curate-in-charge since 1897. Here are Baptist, Welsh Congregational and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.

County Police: Osmon Lawrence, constable in charge

Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Main street, Maes-y-cwmmer.
Mrs. H. Morgan, postmistress.
Letters received through Cardiff; dispatched 11.30 a.m. & 4.35 & 6.40 p.m.

Board School (mixed & infants'), built in 1879, for 250 children; average attendance, 210 boys & girls & 95 infants
William Augustus Davies, master; Miss Lily Knight, infants' mistre ss

Railway Station: Benjamin Newton, station master



James Rev. Morgan (Baptist)
Miles Lewis
Thomas Rev. George, B.A., Rectorv
Watts Isaac
Windmill Samuel

Aston Thomas, blacksmith
Davies Henry, farmer, Cwm farm
Davies Margaret, (Mrs.), farmer, Ty Gwyn
Davies Philip, Ty-Isha
Davies Sarah (Mrs.), grocer & draper, Post office
Davies William, Bridge End P.H
Davies Wm., Ty-yn-y-pwll inn
Davies Wm. farmer, Ty-yn-y-pwll farm
Edmunds John, farmer
Field Henry Robert, shopkeeper
Gibbon Thomas, farmer, Glebe farm
James James, farmer, Ty-Canol
John William, farmer, Pantglas
Jones David, boot dealer & haulier
iones Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer
Jones William, assistant overseer
Jopling Jane (Mrs.), beer retailer
Lewis Daniel, farmer, Ty-maen
Lewis Geo. Gardner, grocer & draper
Lewis Theresa (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Lloyd Emma (Mrs.), farmer, Llwynllynfa (postal address, Llanbradach)
Morgan Nicholas, farmer (postal address, Llanbradach)
Morgan William, farmer, Duffryn-Isha (postal address, Llanbradach)
Parry John, Church House inn
Rees Rees, stone mason
Richards Lewis farmer, Ty-gwyn-Isha & Pen-y-wain farms
Rowlands George, farmer
Tanner Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Thomas George, stone mason
Thomas Frances (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Williams George (Mrs.), farmer
Williams William, carpenter


Hughes Rev. Thomas John (Congregational)
Jones R. H. Mrs., Summerfield hall
Lewis Rev. Ambrose A.T.S., (Baptist), 11 North avenue
Pigott Frederick, Gellydeg house
Price John, Maes-y-cwmmer house
Richards Thomas Lewis
White Thomas Phillips J.P
Williams Rev. John Archibald, L.Th., (curate in charge), Oakley

Batten Edward, blacksmith
Belch Charles, coal dealer & haulier
Collings Wm. Saml., grocer & draper
Davies David John,boot repairer & shopkeeper
Davies Evan, builder, Fairgrove cottage
Davies Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Gelly-deg
Davies Margaret (Miss), shopkeeper
Davies Mary (Mrs.) & William, farmers, Frwd
Davies Watkin, farmer, Gellideg Ucha
Davies William Clement, commercial traveller
Edwards Richard, farmer, Cwm-du
Griffiths Thomas, insurance agent
Gwerna Colliery Co. (G. Seaborne, managing director)
Harris John, builder
Hunt Joseph, hair dresser
Jenkins John, farmer, Gellydigishaf
Jenkins Thomas, Junction inn
Jones R. H. (Mrs.), The South Wales school for girls, Summerfield hall
Jones Samuel, grocer
Jones Thomas, grocer, draper & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Limited, wine & spirit merchants
Lewis Ann (Mrs.), Pellan farm
Lewis Henry, butcher
Lewis Sidney Ernest Chivers, manufacturer of lime, salt, naphtha & charcoal. Chemical works
Lewis Thomas, farmer, Duffryn
Macredie John, farmer, Drehure
Morgan Arthur Lane, commercial traveller, Brooklands
Morgan Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper & Post office
Morgan Lewis, grocer
Rees Thomas, Angel P.H
Richards Daniel & Co., colliery proprietors, Gelly-deg colliery
RichaTds Lewis, farmer, Pencwarra
Roberts Samuel, shopkeeper
South Wales Woollen Mills Co. Lim., flannel manufacturers
Stephens Lewis, beer retailer
Thomas Jacob, tea dealer
Thomas James, farmer, Tyrhiwan
Thomas Thomas, farmer
Williams Levi, china dealer
Williams Richard, Butchers Arms P.H
Williams William, farmer, Tyncoed