PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services.
St. Mary's Church, Monk street: Rev. Frederick William Garforth Whitfield M.A. vicar; Rev.Edwin David Bowser B.A., curate; 8 & 11a.m; 3 & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m
Holy Trinity Church, Baker street: Rev. John Robert Phillips, vicar; Rev. Charles Bews L.Th. curate; 8 & 11 a.m. & 3 & 6.30 pm.; wed. 8 pm
ChristChurch (Iron), North street: served by the clergy of St. Mary's; 8 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m
St. David's, Llwyndu: Served by the clergy of St. Mary's 8 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
St. Helen's Mission Room, Caependre: Served by the clergy of Holy Trinity. 10 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Mission Room (infants' school). Castle street: Served by the clergy of St. Mary's, 7 p.m.; tues. 7.30 p.m
St. Michael Catholic Church, Pen.y-pound: Rev. Charles Austin Wray OSB, priest; mass 9 & 11 a.m., devotions & instructions 6 p.m.; holy days, mass 9 a.m. & 10 a.m. & benediction 7 p.m. ; daily mass 8.30 a.m.; thurs. benediction 7 p.m.
Christadelphia Synagogue, Lion street: 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 8 p.m
Baptist, Frogmore street: Rev. T. E.Cozens Cooke; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; mon. 7.30 p.m.; wed. 8 p.m
Baptist (Bethany), Market street: Rev. Sidney Rogers Young; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; mon. 7.30 p.m
Congregational. Castle street: , Rev. Thomas Bowen; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; mon. & wed. 7.30 p.m
Plymouth Brethren, Princes street: 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; wed. 8 p.m
Primitive Methodist, Victoria street: Rev. Samuel Chas. Berry-Clarke, 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.;tues. 7.30 p.m
Wesleyan, Castle street: Rev. Arthur D. Baskerville; Rev. James Sharp, supernumerary. 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; mon. & wed. 7.30 p.m
Presbyterian(Whitfield). Frogmore street: Rev. William Sylvanus Jones; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 pm
Grammar, founded by Henry VIII. in 1543, & endowed by him with part of the possessions of the suppressed priory; he also granted the old parish church of St. John for the use of the school, & it continued to be so used until the erection of the new school buildings in Pen-y-pound: these are of stone in the Tudor Domestic style, & were built in 1897-8, at a cost, including site, of over £6,000; the endowment of the school produces about £200 yearly; Thomas Headland Sifton M.A. head master; Arthur Ascroft Hilton, second master.
Intermediate, Harold road (girls), established under the "Welsh Intermediate Education Act, 1889," & controlled by the Central Welsh Board, built in 1897-8, for 100 girls; average attendance, 80; Miss Houliston, mistress.
National (boys), Hereford road, for 318 boys; average attendance, 220; Arthur John Duck, master.
National (girls), Castle street, built in 1866, & enlarged in 1898, for 200 girls; average attendance, 140; Miss Last, mistress.
National (girls & infants), Park street, erected in 1894, & enlarged in 1898, for 320 children; average attendance, 254; Miss Mary Baldwin, mistress; Miss C Clarke, infants' mistress
National (infants), Castle street, erected in 1866, & enlarged in 1898, for 192 infants; average attendance, 170; Miss Annie Radford, mistress.
British, Victoria street (mixed), for 153 children; average attendance, 150 children; Winfred Rose, master.
British, Victoria street (infants), for 190 children; average attendance, 110; Miss F. A. Rees, mistress.
Catholic, Pen-y-pound, erected in 1873, & since enlarged, for 160 children; average attendance, 120; Sisters of Charity of St. Paul, mistresses
Abergavenny Chronicle & Monmouthshire Advertiser
(M..Morgan & W. H. P. Scanlon, proprietors); office, 26 Frogmore street. Published Friday. (See Advertisement)
Abergavenny Junction (LNWR & GWR): James Purves, LNWR Station Master, George Alvis, GWR Station Inspector.
London & North Western, Brecon road, Charles Lewis Morris, station master.
Great Western, Station road, Thomas Jones, station master
Omnibuses from the Angel hotel, Cross street, & Greyhound hotel, High st. await the arrival & attend the departure of every train
Great Western Railway Company, to London & all parts daily; offices, at the station off the Monmouth road; parcels office, 8 Cross st.; R. T. Smith & Co. carting agents
London & North Western Railway Company, to London & all parts daily; offices at the station in the Brecon road
Battey, from Great Western railway station, to Crickhowell, daily
Evans & Son, from Great Western railway station to Crickhowell, daily
Rumsey, from Great Western railway station to Crickhowell, daily