The Brecon and Monmouth Canal and the road from Pontypool to Monmouth and Abergavenny pass through the parish. The church of St. Peter, rebuilt in 1845 and 1846 at a cost, of about £1,400, from designs by Thomas Wyatt esq. of London, is an edifice of local stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western belfry containing 2 bells; there is an ancient font, reputed to he of Saxon origin, and restored in 1856, and in the vestry an ancient oak chest; the organ was presented by the Misses Evans, of in Nantyderry House, in 1886; within the communion rail are buried the members of the ancient family of Jenkins, of Goytrey Hall; there are 325 sittings. The churchyard contains several fine yew trees, two of which are upwards of 30 feet in circumference. The register dates from the .year 1695. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £175, with 2 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. and held since 1900 by the Rev. Howell Howell. The Rectory house was erected in 1893 on land purchased from John Capel Hanbury esq. of Pontypool Park. There are Baptist and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. Here are Quarries of limestone, paving stone and building .stone.
Goytrey Hall, now a farmhouse, was erected in 1446 for Thomas Herbert, son of the Earl of Pembroke, who lived at Raglan Castle, and was once the residence of a family of Jenkins, now extinct in the male line, lineally descended from Gwaethford, a chieftain who in ancient times owned a considerable territory here. The Jenkins property now belongs to the Misses Evans, who reside at Nantyderry House, a mansion of stone, enlarged from a design by Thomas H. Wyatt esq. of London, which stands within its own grounds on a gentle eminence commanding a fine view of a range of hills extending from Abergavenny to Pontypool and of the vale of the Usk, :and is surrounded by beautiful scenery.
Goytrey House, .a mansion of stone, standing in its own grounds a short distance from the road leading from Pontypool to Abergavenny, is the residence of John William Pyman esq.
Pentre Grange is the residence of the Misses Bryde. The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. who is lord of the manor, John Capel Hanbury esq. of Pontypool Park, the Misses Evans, the trustees of the late Lady Llanover, and the trustees of the late Col. Henry Charles Bryde (d. 1895), are the principal landowners.
The soil is gravel and sand ; subsoil, loam. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 3,332 acres of land and 16 of water; rateable value, £5,274; the population in 1891 was 609.
Nantyderry is a hamlet 1 mile east.
Parish Clerk, John Jones.
Letters arrive from Pontypool at 8.55 a.m. week days only.
Post, M.& T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post. S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Nantyderry.-Miss Eliza Ann Taylor, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Abergavenny at 8.10 a.m. & dispatched at 3.55 p.m. week days only. Wall Letter Boxes, Penperllenny, cleared at 4.40 p.m. & Pengroesoped, 4.25 p.m. week days only.
British School, Penperllenny (mixed), erected with master's residence in 1870, on a site given by the late Col. H. C. Bryde J.P., at a cost of £600, for about 120 children; average attendance, 79; William John Croot, master
Railway Station, Nantyderry, Henry George Sawyer, station master
(Marked thus * postal address Abergavenny.)
Bryde Misses, Pentre Grange
Chalklin Frederick W. G., Maesyberen
Howell Rev. Howell (rector), Rectory
Prys Rev. John (Calvinistic Methodist), Pengroesoped
Pyman John William, Goytrey house
Boyce Abraham, farmer & landowner, Berthlan
Charles William, farmer
Crump Henry, farmer, Pengroesoped
Davies Thomas, farmer, Kiln farm, Pengroesoped
Edgar Edwin, farmer
Evans Wm., shopkpr. & farmer, New house
Gwatkin Edwin William, builder & assistant overseer, Goytre Wharf
Gwatkin George, farmer, Church farm
Gwenynen Gwent Cymrodorion Friendly Society (James Deakins, see.), Penperllenny
Harris Franklin James, Carpenters' Arms P.H., Penperllenny
Humphries Edward, farmer, Penystair
Jenkins Merrick, jun., farmer, Yew Tree farm
Jenkins Thomas, farmer, New barn
Jones Alfred, farmer
Jones Evan, farmer, Tyifor farm, Pengroesoped
Jones John, farmer, Abergwelyan
Jones William, farmer, Coedrobbin
Lewis Josiah, farmer, Danygraig
Matthews Henry, farmer, Plough farm
Morgan David, farmer & haulier, Road farm
Morgan David, jun., farmer, Wern farm
Morgan Lewis, farmer, Park bach
Morgan William, farmer, Glanusk
Pape Keziah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Pengroesoped
Parry James, farmer, Pentwyn farm
Rees Thomas, farmer, Walnut trees
Rees Thomas, jun., farmer, Black beech
Stinchcombe Geo., farmer, Yew Tree Farm
Thomas David, farmer, Lan
Thomas Thomas, farmer, Penwern
Thomas Wilham Evan, farmer, Little Goytre
Walker Wm. farmer, Long house
Waters Enoch, besom maker
Whitney Thomas, farmer, Upper Goytre house
Wilks John, grocer, Penperllenny
Wilks William, machinist, agricultural machine & implement maker & agent, carpenter, builder, undertaker, saw mills & wheelwright, Penperllenny
(Postal address Ahergavenny.)
Evans Misses, Nantyderry house
Richards Edwin J.P., Heathfield
Aulton William, farmer & landowner
Jenkins Edward, farmer ,
Jenkins Richard, miller (water)
Jones William, plasterer
Marsh & Sons, coal merchants, Railway station
Taylor Eliza Ann (Miss), grocer, Post office
Thomas William Evan, Refreshment Rooms P.H.