Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.


also known as


LLANVAIR-KILGIDIN (or Kilgeddin) is a parish 3 miles north-east from Nantydery station and 2 south-east from Penpergwm station on the Great Western railway from Newport to Abergavenny, 5 south-east from Abergavenny, 5 north-west from Usk and 16 north from Newport; it is in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Pontypool hundred, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Raglan, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff: the river Usk forms the eastern and northern boundaries of the parish.

The church of St. Mary is a small building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of a chancel, with a fine chancel-screen, nave, south porch and a small bell turret containing 2 bells. The church is decorated with beautiful sgraffito work, illustrating the "Song of the Three Children," designed and executed in 1889 by Mr. Heywood Sumner, at a cost of 500, as a memorial to Mrs. Lindsay, wife of the present rector. The church was thoroughly restored in 1876 at a cost of 3,000, and in 1894 a stained east window was placed in memory of William Hunter and Georgiana Little by their children. There are 180 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1733; marriages, 1758.

The living is a rectory, net yearly value 270, with residence and 84 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Tredegar, and held since 1872 by the Rev. William John Coussmaker Lindsay, M.A, of Trinity College, Dublin and rural dean of Raglan.

There is a parish room, called the Rectory hall, used for all parochial meetings and entertainments, as well as an institute for men, containing billiard and bagatelle boards and a library.

Pant-y-goitre is the seat of Arthur Davies Berrington esq., D.L., J.P. ; and Llanvair Grange that of Codrington Fraser Crawshay, D.L., J.P.

Lord Tredegar and the Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. are lords of the manors. A. D. Berrington esq. and Codrington Fraser Crawshay esq. are chief landowners.

The soil is gravelly; subsoil, clayey. The chief crops are wheat and barley, but is inlich meadow land. The area is I,776 acres of land and 32 of water ; rateable value, 2,888 ; the population in 1891 was 290.

Parish Clerk, William Stevens.

Letters through Abergavenny, which is the nearest money order office arrive at 8.30 a.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Llanvihangel-gobion, about one mile distant Wall Letter Box at St. Mary's, cleared at 3.25 p.m

National Schools, erected in 1870, for 115 children; average attendance, 69.
Richard Swinnerton, master; Miss Swinnerton, mistress.

Bates Rev. Henry James B.A. (curate)
Berrington Arthur Davies, D.L., J.P., Pant-y-goitre
Crawshay Codrington Fraser, D.L., J.P., Lanvair grange
Lindsay Rev. William John Coussmaker M.A. (rector & rural dean), The Rectory
Lindsay Miss A. M. E., The Rectory
Moseley Mrs., St. Mary's hill

Beer William, farmer, High mead
Davies William, farmer, New house
Hopkins John, farmer, Pentwyn
Knipe George, farmer, Lower Pentwyn
Lane William, blacksmith
Morgan John, farmer, Lower house
Probert Thomas, carpenter
Spencer George, farmer, Whitehouse
Thomas David, farmer, Pont Kemeys
Thomas Roger, farmer Pant-y-Goitre farm
Turner Wm. (Mrs.), farmer, Glan Isca
Watkins George, farmer