The church is a small and ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an open turret containing one bell: there are 50 sittings. There is a rude cross of some antiquity in the churchyard. The register dates only from the year 1813.
The living is a rectory, annexed in 1884 to Wolves-Newton, joint net yearly income £241, with one acre of glebe here, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Archdeacon of Llandaff alternately, and held since 1891 by the Rev.Charles Carne Williams M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, who resides at Wolves-Newton. There is a Bible Christian chapel. The Duke of Beaufort A.D.C. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is a stiff loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and roots. The area is 666 acres, rateable value, £335, & the population in 1891 was 92.
Parish Clerk, John Edmonds.
The overseers collect the rates in turn.
Letters through Chepstow, arrive at 12.30 p.m. Shirenewton is the nearest money order office & St. Arvans the nearest telegraph office, about 4 miles distant. The nearest Letter Box is at Newchurch West, cleared at 4.25 p.m., week days only.
The parish is included in the United School Board district of East & West Newchurch, formed 11 Dec. 1874. The school is at Devauden, Newchurch East.
Bevan Henry, shopkeeper