Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.




ITTON is a parish on the road from Chepstow to Devauden Green, 3 miles west-by-north from Chepstow station on the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the, county, lower division of Caldicot hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Chepstow, rural deanery of Chepstow, archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Deiniol is a building of stone, partly in the Early English style, and was thoroughly restored in 1869, chiefly at the cost of Mrs. Curre, of Itton court; it consists of chancel, nave aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: the east and other windows of the chancel are stained: the whole fabric has been altered and much modernized: there are 209 sittings: in the churchyard remain the base and part of the shaft of a cross. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1773; marriages, 1775.

The living is a rectory, net income 110, with 82 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of W. E. Carne Curre esq., and held since 1874 by the Rev. Nathaniel Shafto Barthropp M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, who is also vicar of Mounton & rural dean of Chepstow.

Here is a flour mill, and a small water saw mill. Itton, anciently called Hodytton, was held in the 13th century, under the lords of Chepstow, by the De Bendevilles, and eventually became possessed by the Herberts, from whom it passed to a branch of the Morgan family and from them to the Gwyns. The Itton Court estate was purchased by the Curres about the commencement of the last century, and now belongs to W. E. Carne Curre esq., who is lord of the manor.

Itton Court was originally an outlying fortalice of Chepstow Castle and the manor of Itton is to this day subject to a sub-infeudation fee, paid to the Duke of Beaufort as lord of Chepstow. The tower, which probably dates from the latter part of the 14th century, is the, only part now remaining of the ancient fortified mansion, which about 1860 underwent considerable improvements and alterations including the removal of the principal entrance from the east to the south side and the embattlement of the latter; it is now the residence of William Edward Carne Curre esq., D.L., J.P. and master of the Chepstow foxhounds.

In the record of a speech-court holden under the Forester's Oak in Wentwood, in the Year 1668, it is said, "Sir William de Bendeville ought to have housebootte and haybootte at his house at Hodytton from the Conquest."

The Duke of Beaufort, and W. E. Carne Curre esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, limestone. The area is 1,115 acres; rateable value, 1,062; the population in 1891 was 161.

Parish Clerk, Jehu Bevan.

Letters through Chepstow, arrive at 8 a.m.
Wall Letter Box, at Croes Bleddyn, cleared, week days at 5.20 p.m., sundays, 9.30 a.m.
Chepstow, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order office.

National School. erected 1873, & a class room added in 1894, for 70 children; average attendance, 41.
Mrs. Emma Bailey, mistress.

HOWICK is a parish, but not connected ecclesiastically with any other parish, though without a church or vicar. The greater part of it once belonged to the Priory of Chepstow, but the monks of Tintern had also some interest here. Every trace of the church has disappeared, though it is said to have been used for divine service about two centuries ago.

In 1515, John Walters, of Piercefield, obtained a lease of lands at this place from the Prior of Chepstow, and some of his descendants resided at Howick for many years. An interesting old mansion here, once the residence of the Walters family, but at present used as a farmhouse, is now the property of W. E. Carne Curre esq., Cophill, another farm in this parish, was the seat of another branch of the Walters family and had distinct manorial rights. The area is 642 acres; rateable value, 475; the population in 1891 was 3.

Nearest Wall Letter Box, Cwes Bleddyn, cleared at 5.20 p.m.; sundays, 9.30 a.m

The children of this place attend Itton and Chepstow schools

Barthropp Rev. Nathaniel Shafto M.A., (rector & rural dean),Rectory
Curre William Edward Carne D.L., J.P. Itton court

Bailey Wm., painter, Croes Bleddyn
Bevan Jehu, wheelwright & shopkeeper
Brown John, farmer, Rhyd-y-bedw
Evans Walter, farmer, White mill
Harding George, farm bailiff to W. E. Carne Curre esq., Home farm
Hunt Edwin James, farmer, Cophill farm, Howick
Packer Frederick, blacksmith, Croes Bleddyn
Price Phillip, farmer, Howick farm
Rees Thos. miller (water), Pandy mill
Rymer Harold, farmer, Howick
Weeks Thos., farmer, Fox & Hounds
Wheeler James, farmer, Sandyway farm, Howick