Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

LLANGUA is a parish, on the northern borders of Monmouthshire and on the river Monnow, which bounds the parish on the west and separates it from the county of Hereford; it is 2 Miles south-west from Pontrilas station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway, 10 north-east from Abergavenny, and 14 south-west from Hereford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Skenfrith, union of Dore, county court district of Hereford, rural deanery of Abbey Dore, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford.

The church of St. James is a small but ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are 50 sittings. The register dates from the Year 1714.

The living is a rectory annexed in 1886 to the rectory of Kentchurch, Herefordshire, joint net yearly value 220, in the gift of E. Scudamore Lucas esq. who has one turn, and the Lord Chancellor, who has two turns, and held since 1885 bv the Rev. Morgan George, Watkins M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford, who resides at Kentchurch, in Herefordshire.

E. Scudamore Lucas esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner, and resides at Cap House.

The soil is red clay and loam; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and two-thirds pasturage. The area is 698 acres of land, and 13 of water; rateable value, 2,047; the population in 1891 was 82.

Parish Clerk; James Teague.

Letters through Hereford arrive at 9 a.m. The nearest post & money order & telegraph office is at Pontrilas, 2 miles distant.

This parish is included in the Skenfrith United School Board district, formed 9 May, 1874; the children attend the school at Grosmont.

Lucas E. Scudamore D.L.,J.P., Cap House
James Alfred, farmer, Great house
Jones William, farmer, Pentwyn
Sayce George, farmer & shopkeeper, Cap farm
Watkins William, farmer, Llech farm