LLANTILLIO-PERTHOLEY is a parish on the road from Abergavenny to Hereford, and on the river Gavenny, 2 miles north from Abergavenny station on the Great Western railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court. district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The parish is nearly surrounded by lofty mountains.
The church of St. Teilo is an ancient building of stone, in the Gothic style of the 15th century, consisting of chancel, nave, three chapels, south porch and an embattled tower with pinnacles containing 4 bells: the church was restored in 1890-1, at a cost of £860, and presented with gifts to the value of £90; it now affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1591. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £177, with residence and 60 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1872 by the Rev. Alexander Ferrier Hogan M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, rural dean of Abergavenny and surrogate. The chapel of ease at BETTWS, a place in this parish, 2½ miles north-west, is a stone building with 50 sittings.
1. Mr. Crawshay Bailey's charity, being the interest upon £500, is paid yearly to the vicar and churchwardens towards the repair and maintenance of the church.
2. Under the will of William Morgan, of Caerleon, dated 12th June, 1690, the interest on £200 is to be distributed as the trustees think fit.
3. Mary Powell, of Brecon, by will dated 28th January 1703, left an annuity of £2 a year out of her lands in Llantillio Pertholey, to be yearly distributed amongst the poor of the parish on St. Thomas' Day.
4. Jane Cook, by will dated 10th August, 1713, left £60, to be employed in placing out the children of the poor of Llantillio Pertholey to be apprenticed, and for such other charitable purposes for the same poor people and their children as her executors should think meet.
5. Evan James, dated 19th January, 1730, left a rent-charge of £1 a year to be distributed amongst four or five of the poorest persons of the same parish.
6. John Owen left £200 interest for the poor on Christmas Day.
Maindiff Court, the property of Mrs. Curre, of Itton Court. is now the residence of Col. Robert Henry Mansel D.L., J.P.
Tygwyn is the residence of His Honor Judge Owen D.L., J.P.
Tredilion Park is the residence of William Lloyd Thomas esq.
Triley Court is the residence of Major Sanford.
The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Gordon Canning, of Hartpury, Gloucester, Mrs. Curre, Harley Rodney esq. and Thos. Phillips Price esq. J.P., are the ptincipal landowners.
The soil is gravel and loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and some land in pasture. The area is 6,841 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable, value, £12,368 ; the population in 1891 was 1,119.
Parish Clerk, John Jones.
Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Alfred Hicks, sub-postmaster.
Letters through Abergavenny arrive at 6.45 a.m. & 5 p.m. ; dispatched at 5.15 p.m.; sundays, arrive 7.45 a.m
Wall Letter Boxes: Triley bridge, cleared at 5.20 p.m., Pantygelly,cleared at 4.30 p.m., Vicarage road,5.35 p.m.
Parish, erected in 1872, for 140 children; average attendance, 113; Alfred George Greene, master.
British, erected for 60 children; average attendance, 35; Miss Williams, mistress.
Caird Charles Clegget, Holly croft
Edwards Thomas, Poplar villa
Griffith Thomas, Sunnybank
Griffith Rev. Wilfred B.A. (curate)
Hogan Rev. Alexander Ferrier M.A., (vicar, rural dean & surrogate), St. Teilo's vicarage
Jackson George, Prospect cottage, Mardy
Jones Evan, Mardy park
Mansel, Col. Robert Henry D.L., J.P., (late Royal Dublin Fusiliers) (High Sheriff, 1896) (commanding the 2nd V.B. South Wales Borderers), Maindiff court
Owen His Honor Judge, William Stevensori D.L., J.P Ty Gwyn
Probert Thomas, Monson cottage
Sanford, Major Eugene Ayshford, Triley court
Straker Mrs., Sunnybank
Thomas William Lloyd, Tredilion park
Baynham John, farmer, Great Gott
Baynham Saml. farmer, Upper Bettws
Caird Charles Clegget, professor of music, Holly croft
Cheese Henry, farmer, Penlanlace
Dodd Lemuel, farmr., Newhouse, Forest
Duggan Samuel, blacksmith
Edmonds James, farm bailiff to Jas.Staker esq. Crossonen farm
Edwards John H. farmer, Fawdydden
Evans John, farmer, Ty-Gwyn
George William, wheelwright
Hazledine WilIiam Hazledine, farmer, Maindiff Court farm
Hoskins John, farmer, Cefn Manog
Howells John, farmer, Rhydlamna
Jenkins Isaac, markt. grdnr., Mardy
Jones Frederick, Globe inn
Jones James, farmer, Church farm
Jones James, farmer, New house
Jones James (Mrs.), farmr., Upper Triley
Jones William, farmer, Upper Triley
Knight James, farmer, Elms farm
Lanley Edward, Old Mitre P.H., accommodation for tourists
Lewis David, farmer,Triley Court frm
Lewis Edgar, farmer, Tyhir
Lewis Edwin, New inn P.H.& cattle dlr
Mainwaring Wm. frmr.Pen-y-Clawdd
Merrick Wm. farmer, Little Llwyngwyn
Morgan Edward & Sarah E. (Mrs.), farmers, Great Triley
Morgan Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Chapel farm, Forest
Morgan Jn. farmer, Middle Bettws
Morgan Thomas, farmer, Caedrin
Morris Brothers, wheelwrights
Nash Samuel, Plough inn
Owen John, farmer, Upper house
Paxton Frances (Mrs.),frmr., Wernddu
Paxton John T. farmer & hay merchant, Tydraw
Partridge James, miller (water)
Pembridge Joseph, farmer, Old barn
Powell Evan (Mrs.), farmer, Tygwnt
Powell Lemuel, farmer, Great Bettws
Powell Thos. farmer, Great Blaenawey
Powers Chas. farmer, Llantillio-fach
Price John, farmer, Pwllwerd
Price Lewis,farmer,Typant frm., Forest
Pritchard Julia (Mrs.), market gardener
Pritchard Wm. blacksmith, Crossways
Probert John, brick maker
Probert William, farmer, Hill barn
Prosser William, farmer & hay merchant, Penlanlace
Reece John, shopkeeper, Mardy
Rees Bevan, farmer, Gt. Llwyngwyn
Richards Edward (Mrs.), farmer, Blaengavenny
Richards Thomas (Mrs.), farmer, Blaengavenny
Roberts Thomas, grocer
Roberts William, Crown P.H
Rogers Wm. L., farmer, Crowfield
Russell John, farmer, Far house
Savoury William Henry, shopkeeper
Smith Maria (Mrs.), farmer, Lower house
Smith Thomas, farmer, Bettws cottage
Vaughan John, farmer, New court
Vince William, beer retailer, Mardy
Walters William, farm bailiff to J. W. Day esq. Lower house
Watkins George, blacksmith
Watkins James, farmer, Pentre
Watkins John, farmer, Great house
Watkins Margaret (Mrs.),Walnut Tree P.H
Watkins Wm. miller (water), Triley
Williams Robert & John, farmers, Upper Pant
Williams Janet (Mrs.), farmer,Werngochen
Williams Thos., Crown & Sceptre P.H
Williams Thomas J., rate collector for Llantillio Pertholey & Llanwenarth Citra, Werngochen
Williams Thos. farmer, Masmawr farm
Williams Wm. farmer, Trewiscoed
Wistance Allen, farmer, Coal pit
Woodward William Davis, Timber, Coal & Lime merchant, steam sawing mill, Abergavenny junction