The church (possibly of St. Sisoy), restored in 1858 at a cost Of £400, is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a large western tower containing 2 bells : there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1592. The living is a rectory, net income. £105, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort, and held since 1891 by the Rev. William Jones, of St. David's College, Lampeter, who is also chaplain ofH.M. prison at Usk. There are charities amounting to about £15 yearly distributed in money.
The Duke of Beaufort A.D.C. is lord of the manor, and Mrs. Tudor, of Wyesham, near Monmouth, Oliver Anstey esq. and Miss Amphlett, are the principal landowners.
The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are, wheat, barley and oats, The area is 1,411 acres of land and 4 of water; rateable value, £982; the population in 1891 was 130.
Parish Clerk: Leonard Goddard.
Post Office.- Mrs. Mary Jenkins, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Newport at 8.25 a.m.; dispatched 4.25 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Trellech is the nearest money order & Usk the nearest telegraph Office, 5 miles distant
National School (mixed), erected, & opened in 1867, for 40 children; average attendance, 20.
Miss Cora Williams, mistress.
Jones Rev. William (rector & chaplain of H.M. prison at Usk)
Anstey Oliver, farmer, The Wern farm
Frost James, farmer, Duffryn farm
Frost John, farmer, Bush & Llanpeath Farms
Frost John, jun., farmer, Newhouse
James William, farmer, Little Llanolway farm
Jenkins Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper & post office
Jones Fred, farmer, Lower house
Jones William, farmer, Cross farm
Jones Alfred, farmer, Great Llanolway
Pritchard Alfred, farmer, Pentre
Taylor Charles, Cross Keys P.H
Williams Joseph, farmer, Court-y-Breychan
Williams Mrs. Lucy, farmer, Great house