Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.


LLANDENNY is a parish on the river Olway and on the road to Monmouth, with a station on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool section of the Great Western railway, 4 miles north-east from Usk, 153 by railway from London and 146 from London by road, in the, southern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Raglan, union of Monmouth, Raglan and Trellech highway district, county court district of Usk, rural deanery of Usk (eastern division), archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. John is an ancient building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells: the church was restored in 1865 and has 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1714.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly income 30, without residence, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort and held since 1893 by the Rev. Cecil Henry Fardell. The great tithes have been commuted at 330, the whole of which goes to the impropriator, who is also patron. There is a Baptist chapel. Charities amounting to 64 are distributed yearly in bread and money.

Cefntilla Court is the residence of the Right Hon.The Lord Raglan, D.L., J.P.   When General Fairfax attacked Raglan Castle he made Cefntilla his head quarters. The old mansion was rebuilt and, together with the property belonging to it, was presented to Lord Raglan in grateful recognition of the memory of his grandfather, Field Marshal Lord Raglan, commander of the British army in the Crimea, where he died in 1855.

The Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor, Lord Raglan and G. G. Griffin esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is loam ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 2,298 acres of land and 4 of water; rateable value, 2,976 ; the population in 1891 was 389.

Post office: Mrs. Elizabeth Preece, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Usk at 7.40 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.20 p.m. Postal Orders are issued here, but not paid. Raglan is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

Railway Station: John Brewer, Station master

National School (mixed) with a house for the mistress, for 50 children, average attendance, 30.
Miss Jane Elwell, mistress.

Raglan, The Lord, D.L., J.P., Cefntilla Court; & 5 Barkston gardens & Guards' & Carlton clubs, London S W
Cadwallader Rashleigh Marchant, The Mount
Evans Mrs. Hill Cottage
Fardell Rev. Cecil Henry (vicar)
Herbert James, Llanerthil
Morgan Thomas, The Lodge
Moxham Mrs. Oakfield house
Powell Mrs. Sarah, Orchard Cottage
Steedman Robert
Stephens Mrs., The Elms

Andrews John, builder, Llanwecha
Anstey John, farmer, Little Rock
Bevan John, tailor, Woodbine Cottage
Davies John, carpenter & wheelwright
Davies John, Crown P.H.
Ethericlge Henry, farmer, The Walks
Evans John, farmer, Rhyd-y-mane
Evans Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Treworgan court
Frost Joseph & Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Newhouse
Haggett Edith (Mrs.), Raglan Arms P.H.
James Robert, farmer, Pentre farm
James Robt. assistant overseer, Pentre farm
James Wm., farmer, Llandenny court
James Wm. jun., farmer, Rock farm
James William, farmer, Cayo
Mackenzie Andrew, Victoria inn
Mason Thomas Henry, butcher
Morgan Thos., shoe maker, Kingcoed
Offer John, farmer, The Ferns
Powell Edward, farmer, Colebrook. (letters through Raglan)
Preece, Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper and Post office
Pritchard George & Mary (Miss), farmers, Pergoed
Pritchard Thomas, farmer, Kingcoed
Robins Stephen, shopkeeper, Kingcoed
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Mardee
Thomas William, blacksmith