KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE, 1901
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901
MONMOUTH

Part 3: Public Establishments, Military, Poor Relief & Public Officers

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS

Athenaeum, Priory street: John Arthur Evans, librarian; James Herbert Green, secretary.

Cattle Market, Monnow street: managed by the corporation.

Cemetery: Oliver Jones, caretaker

County Court: His Honor William Stevenson Owen, judge.
William Charles Addams Williams, registrar & high bailiff; office, St. James' street.
The court is held at the Shire hall, generally the first tuesday in the month. The district comprises the following parishes, hamlets & places:-
Berry Hill, Bream, Camomile green, Claverings green, Clearwell, Cwmcarvan, Coleford, Dingestow, Dixton, English Bicknor, Ganarew, Garway, Joyford, Llandogo, Llangattock-vibon-Avel, Llangoven , Llanrothal, Llantillio-Crossenny, Llanvihangel-Ystern-Llewern, Lydbrook , Mitchel Troy, Monmouth, Moseley Green, Newland, Noxon, Oldcroft, Park End, Penalt, Penrose, Pen-y-Clawdd, Pillowell, Rockfield, St. Maughan's, Skenfrith, Staunton, Tregare, Trelleck, Viney Hill, Welsh Bicknor, Welsh Newton, Whitchurch, Whitecroft, Wonastow & Yorkley.
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of Newport; George Henry Llewellyn, Westgate chambers, Commercial street, Newport, official receiver.
Certified Bailiffs appointed under the "Law of Distress Amendment Act", Daniel O'Connell, St. Mary's street, Monmouth; Robert Newbury Dampier, Ross; Walter S. Poole, Agincourt square, Monmouth; James Herbert Green, Glendower street, Monmouth & James Barnett Wheeldon, Wonastow road, Monmouth.

Hospital & Dispensary, St. James' square.
Thomas G. Prosser, M.R.C.S.(Eng.), medical officer.
John Grant Wilson, M.R.C.S.(Eng.), D.P.H., medical officer.
Grant Lloyd-Smith, M.B., D.P.H., medical officer.
Ronald M. Stokes, L.R.C.P. & S.(Edin.), medical officer.
Henry Charles Groves, L.R.C.P. & S.I., medical officer.
William Reeves, dispenser.
William Henry Nicholls L.D.S.R.C.S.(Irel.), dental surgeon.
Miss Hyam, matron.

Freemasons' Hall, The Parade, George Renecle, secretary

Inland Revenue Office, Priory street:
Evan Owen, supervisor
Frederick William Booth, officer
Walter Edmund Painter, officer

Market House, Priory street: Tolls collected by corporation

Police Station, Glendower street:
Capt. Vincent C. E. Parker, superintendent, Borough County Constabulary
2 sergeants & 7 constables

Stamp Office: The Post office

Tax Office (The Queen's), Priory street: Joseph George Dixon, surveyor

Shire Hall, Agincourt square: Thomas Rendle, hall keeper

Volunteer Fire Engine Station, Whitecross street:
Escape Station, Agincourt square
Captain, William Love, & 20 men
George B. Adamson, hon. sec.

ROYAL MONMOUTHSHIRE ENGINEER MILITIA

Head Quarters, The Castle.
Lieut.-Col. W. E. C. Curre, C.E. (hon. col.) Majors The Lord Raglan (hon. lieut.-col.)
Major The Hon. G. W. R. Somerset (hon. lieut.-col.)
Adjutant, Captain H. Bland
Instructor of Musketry, Capt. R. J. S. Price
Quartermaster, Lieut. W. J. Shute
Civil Medical Officer in charge, T. G. Prosser

VOLUNTEERS
4th Volunteer Battalion South Wales Borderers (K company), Monnow street.
Capt. Charles C. Powell
Surg. Lieut. Henry Charles Groves, L.R.C.P.I., medical officer
Daniel Deverson, sergeant, instructor

MONMOUTH UNION

Board day, alternate fridays at 10.30 a.m. at the Board Room.

The union comprises the following parishes:- Coleford, Cwmcarvan, Dixton, Dingestow, English Bicknor (Gloucestershire), Ganarew (Herefordshire), Garway (Herefordshire), Llandogo, Llangoven, Llangattock-vibon-Avel, Llanvihangel-Ystern-Llewern, Llantillio-Crossenny, Llandenny, Llanishen, Llanrothal (Hereford), Monmouth, Mitchel-Troy, Newland (Gloucestershire), Parc Grace Dieu, Penrose, Pen-y-Clawdd, Penallt, Rockfield, Raglan, Saint Maughans, Skenfrith, Staunton (Gloucestershire), Trelleck Town, Trelleck Tregare, Welsh Bicknor (Herefordshire), Wonastow, Welsh Newton (Herefordshire), Whitchurch (Herefordshire) & West Dean (Gloucestershire).
The population of the union in 1891 was 28,281; area, 97,016 acres; rateable value in 1900, 117,776

Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Trevor Addams-Williams, Union offices, Monmouth

Chairman of the Board of Guardians, Col. J. Davies, The Garth, Monmouth

Treasurer, George Griffin Griffin D.L., J.P., Monmouth

Relieving Officers:
No. 1 Coleford district, John D. Hawkins, Coleford.
No. 2 or Monmouth district, William Farmer, 7 Glendower street, Monrnouth.
No. 3 or Trelleck district, Harry Howells, Mitchel Troy
School Inquiry Officer, Ernest Ransome Llandogo, Monmouth

Medical Officers, Vaccination Officers, and the Registrars of Births & Deaths
Medical Officers
Coleford district: Peter Buchanan M.B., C.M., Bank house, Coleford.
Monmouth district, Ronald McClean Stokes, L.R.C.P. & S.(Edin.), Whitecross street, Monmouth.
Raglan district, Alex. Graham Spiers Logie, M.B., C.M., Raglan.
Rockfield district, Thomas Gilbert Prosser, M.R.C.S.(Eng), St. James' house, St. James' street, Monmouth
Skenfrith district, Gerald Rowley Leighton M B., C.M., Grosmont.
Trelleck district, James Graham Kay, M.B., C.M., Tintern

Public Vaccinators:
Monmouth district, Thomas Gilbert Prosser M.R.C.S.(Eng.), St. James' house, St. James' street, Monmouth.
Other districts, same as medical officers.

Registrars of Births, Marriages & Deaths:
Superintendent Registrar, Trevor Addams Williams, Union offices, Monmouth.
Deputy, Ernest John Whittington, Union offices, Monmouth

Registrars of Births & Deaths
Coleford sub-district, John Hawkins, Coleford; deputy, Thomas H. Hullett, Coleford.
Monmouth sub-district, William Farmer, Glendower street, Monmouth
Trelleck sub-district, Henry William Howell, Mitchel Troy; deputy, Alfred Howells, St. Maughans.

Registrars of Marriages.
Sidney Jones Elsom, Yorkley.
Joseph Smith, 5 North parade, Monmouth; deputy, George Bonas Henry Adamson, Monmouth

The Workhouse, on the old Hereford road, was erected in 1870-1, & consists of four blocks of buildings, viz. the lodge, receiving building, a dining hall & chapel in the centre, & infirmary, & is arranged to hold 204 inmates: the infirmary building is well appointed & has spacious airing grounds: in the rear of this building is a detached ward for infectious cases: the whole of the buildings are of stone, inclosed with a low wall & palisading, & were erected at a cost of about 10,000, under the direction of Mr. G. C. Haddon, architect, of Hereford & Great Malvern.
Stephen Johnson, master; Rev. Charles Frederick Reeks, M.A., chaplain; Thomas Gilbert Prosser, medical officer; Mrs. Fanny Whittington, matron

School Attendance Committee.
Meets at the board room, the Workhouse, on every alternate Friday after the Board meeting.
Clerk, Trevor Addams Williams, Union offices, Monmouth
Attendance Officer, Ernest Ransome, Llandogo

PUBLIC OFFICERS

Assistant Overseer, Richard Lovell Cranch, Whitecross street.
Clerk to the Commissioners of Land & Income Taxes, Wm. Charles Addams Williams, St. James' street.
Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes for Raglan, John Willetts, 32 St. Mary's street.
Clerks to the Magistrates of the Raglan Division, Powles & Vizard, Agincourt street.
Clerk to the Magistrates of the Trelleck Division, Thos. Robert Oakley, Priory street.
Clerk to the Magistrates for the Skenfrith Division, Trevor Addams Williams, Union offices, Hereford road.
Clerk of the Peace for the County, H. Stafford Gustard, Newport.
Collector of Land & Income Taxes & Inhabited House Duties, James Herbert Green, 3 Glendower street.
Coroner for Monmouth District, Bickerton Homer Deakin, The Parade; deputy, Albert John Herbert Williams, Whitecross street.
County Treasurer, William Charles Addams Williams, St. James' street.
Registrar of the Archdeaconry of Monmouth, Arthur Vizard, Agincourt street.