KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE, 1901
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
MOUNTON is a parish, 2½ miles west from Chepstow station on the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Caldicot, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Chepstow, and in the rural deanery ofChepstow, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. It is very picturesquely situated about half a mile from the great road from Chepstow to Newport, in a narrow valley, with steep cliffs and hills on either side. A trout stream runs through the valley, called the "Meurig", but now better known as Mounton Brook. The old name of this place was Monckton -- the monk's town, probably so called from the monks of Chepstow, who for some centuries held the tithes and provided a priest for the church. The church (dedication unknown, but said to be of very ancient foundation), was restored in 1881, and is a very small building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and vestry with an open bell-cot on the western gable, containing one bell. The east window is stained. The entire fabric has been so completely modernized that no features of interest remain: there are 80 sittings. The register dates from the year 1790. The living is a vicarage, net income £430, with 42 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1879 by the Rev. Nathaniel Shafto Barthropp M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, and rural dean of Chepstow, who is rector of and resides at Itton. The Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor, and Charles Edward Lewis esq. of St. Pierre, near Chepstow, are the principal landowners. The parish presents some pleasing views, especially through the picturesquely wooded valley, which is about a mile in length, with very high rocks on either side, crowned with finely-grown yew trees. The soil is loamy, resting on limestone. The chief crops are cereals. Thearea is 407 acres; rateable value, £384 ; the populationin 1891 was 48.
Sextoness, Mrs. Adelaide Harris.
Letters through Chepstow, which is the nearest post, money order & telegraph office, arrive at 7.15 a.m.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 7 p.m.; sundays at 9.50 a.m.
This parish is included in the United School Board district of Mathern, formed December 10, 1875.
The school is in Mathern parish.
Harris Josiah, agent for the Pearl Insurance Company, Mounton Villa
Tipping Henry Avery, Mounton House Laundry
Walker James, Mounton Mill House