Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire, 1901

Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.


PEN-Y-CLAWWD is a parish, on the old road from Monmouth to Usk, 1 miles south from Dingestow station on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool line of the Great Western railway, and 5 southwest from Monmouth, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Raglan, union and county court district of Monmouth, Raglan and Trellech highway district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Martin is a small but ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of cliancel, nave, south porch and a western tower with pyramidal stone roof, containing one bell: the east window is stained: there are 60 sittings. The register dates from the year 1727.

The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Llangoven, net yearly value 196, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1888 by the Rev. William Rees, of Queen's College, Birmingham.

2, the produce of a charity bequeathed by the late Mr William Jones of Tygyrog, Llanishen, is distributed yearly.

The Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor, Samuel Courthope Bosanquet, of Dingestow Court, the trustees of the late John Winslow esq. and Mr. James Prichard are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil strong clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and beans. The area is 796 acres; rateable value, 547. The population in 1891 was 66.

Letters through Monmouth, arrive at 10a.m. & dispatched at 2p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Raglan, about 3 miles distant.
The nearest post office is at Dingestow. Telegrams can be dispatched only from Dingestow station.
Wall Letter Box, Vicarage, cleared 12.15p.m. week days only.

National School (mixed), built in 1888, for 45 children; average attendance, 30; Thomas Eddy, master.

Rees Rev. William, Vicarage

Dowle John, carpenter
Griffiths John, carpenter & farmer
James William, shopkeeper
Llewellyn James, farmer & overseer, Lower Pen-y-clawdd
Lewis Hannah (Mrs.), Treharry
Prosser Thomas Walter, farmer, Coedyvedw
Williams William, farmer, Trecastle farm