Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

PENRHOS, or Penrose, is a parish, 3 miles north from Raglan station on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool line of the Great Western railway, 9 west from Monmouth and 10 south-east from Abergavenny, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Raglan, union and county court district of Monmouth, rural deanery of Raglan, archdeaconry .of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Cadoc is an ancient building, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells ; some repairs were effected in 1848 and in 1878 the church vas enlarged at a cost of 1,140: there are 150 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1721 ; marriages and burials, 1718. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 154, including 44 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1865 by the Rev. William Feetham M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Here is a camp, probably British, and a fortification, called Penrose Castle, consisting of a tumulus of considerable height, with two moats around it. In the year 1251, 35th King Henry III, a patent appointed "John de Monmouth keeper of the Castle of Penrose, in Wales"; and in the year following another patent pardoned "William de Cantalupe, Lord of Abergavenny, for having demolished the Castle of Penrose, belonging to John de Monmouth"; this in all probability is the castle referred to in these patents.

The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Sir Henry Mather-Jackson, bart., of Llantillio Court, Sir Arthur John Fludyer, bart., of Ayston Hall. Rutland, Godfrey Seys esq., Col. Ivor John Caradoc Herbert C.B., C.M.G. of Llanarth Court, Col. Joseph Alfred Bradney, of Talcoed Court, Llanviliangel-Ystern-Llewern and Mr. Herbert James.

The soil is clay; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are. wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 2,690 acres; rateable value, 2,261; the population in 1891 was 276.

Parish Clerk, John Seaborne.

Post Office. - Reuben Edmunds, sub-postmaster. Letters from Newport arrive at 10.25 a.m. mon., wed. & fri. & 10.55 a.m. tues. thurs. & sat.; dispatched 4.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Llantillio Crossenny, 2 miles distant

National School (mixed), built in 1866, for 60 children; average attendance, 18; Miss Mary Vowles, mistress.

(Marked thus * receive their letters through Abergavenny)

Feetham Rev. William M.A. (vicar),Vicarage
Bevan Joseph, farmer, Whitehouse
Davies William, farmer, New house
Ellaway Amos, farmer, Grange farm
*Evans Evan, farmer, The Farm
Ford George, farmer, Woodland farm
Griffiths Morgan, farmer, Clawdd
Hoskins Richard, farmer
James William, farmer, Longhouse
Jones William Alsopp, farmer, Llwyn Celwyn
Lewis Herbert, farmer, The Elms
Lewis Rachel (Mrs.), farmer,The Walks
Matthews Hy., farmer, The Bottom
Morgan Albert, grocer, Yew Tree cottage
Parry Lewis, farmer, High house
Porter William, farmer, Pentwyn
Price Jas., farmer, Coed-y-gelly
*Pritchard Evan, farmer, Nantyderry
Pritchard John, farmer, Bottom farm
Price John, farmer, Red house
Silcox Joseph, farmer
Stephens Mrs. farmer, Croes-y-Giach
Thomas Thomas, Temple inn
Williams John, farmer & assistant overseer, Clawdd farm
William John, farmer