ST. BRIDE NETHERWENT
The church of St. Bride or Bridget is a building of stone in the Early English style, restored in 1848, and consists of chancel, nave, north porch and a saddle-back western tower containing 2 bells: the church has sittings for 104 persons. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1771; marriages, 1754. The registers of Llandevenny are included in those of St. Bride.
The living is a rectory, with Llandevenny annexed, net income £156, with 48 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor Park, Leicestershire, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Moss Ogle. There is a Roman camp on the hill opposite the church, and a barrow, which was opened by the Caerleon Antiquarian Society in 1866 and the relics found sent to the Caerleon Museum.
Mrs. Perry-Herrick is lady of the manor and the chief landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, gravel and limestone. The chief crops are grain and roots. The area is 1,032 acres; rateable value, £816; and the population in 1891 was 112.
LLANDAVENNY is a hamlet 2 miles west, and lies between Magor and Wilcrick, in the Newport union. The area is 237 acres; rateable value, £2,218; population in 1891, 46.
Parish Clerk, John Morgan,
Letters through Newport arrive at 10.30 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office & post office is at Magor, 2 miles distant.
National School (for the parishes of Penhow, Llanvaches & St. Bride Netherwent), built in 1860 & enlarged in 1894, for 90 children; average attendance, 80; George James Butt, master; Mrs. G. J. Butt, mistress.