UNDY is a parish on the Bristol Channel, about one mile east from Magor station on the South Wales section of tbe Great Western railway, 10 miles east-by-south from Newport and 9 south-west from Chepstow, in tbe Southern division of the county, lower division of Caldicot. petty sessional division of Newport, hundred, union and county court district of Chepstow, rural deanery of Netherwent, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel. nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell; there is a 13th century west window. The chancel arch and the doorway of the porch are Norman. On the south side of the chancel arch are traces of a hagioscope. The cburch was restored in 1880, at a total cost of about £800, when a central tower of comparatively modern date was removed, and a bellturret substituted, and in 1890 a vestry was erected north of the chancel, at a cost of £50. There are 84 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1760, marriages from 1813.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly income £184, with 31 acres of glebe and residence, in tbe gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1871 by the Rev. George Davis, who is also a surrogate. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Mill Common.
Lord Tredegar and the Crown are Lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Anthony Birrell esq. of Chearsley House, near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Mrs. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor Park, Loughborough, Leicestershire, and the trustees of the late James Pride esq.
The soil is sandy, subsoil, clay, and the chief crops are wheat, barley and hay. The area is 1,763 acres of land and 2,120 of foreshore. The rateable value is £5,398, and the population in 1891 was 393.
Parish Clerk: Edward Lawrence.
Post: Letters through Newport arrive at 9am. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Magor, one mile distant. Wall Letter Boxes, near the Church, cleared at, 4:20pm & at West End, cleared at 4:30 pm, week days only.
School: There is a National School (mixed), built in 1871, for 65 children, average attendance, 56. Miss Amelia Curry, mistress, and Miss Mary Jane Musgrove, assistant mistress.
Overseer: James Jenkins, of Magor
Police Station: Robert Taylor, constable.
Bevan Mrs. Mill Brook house
Andrews William, butcher