Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire - Wonastow

Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
WONASTOW is a parish on the old road from Raglan, and bounded on the south and west by the river Trothy, 2 miles west-south-west from Monmouth railway station, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Skenfrith, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Monmouth, Monmouth and Skenfrith highway district of the Monmouth Rural District Council, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Wonnow is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 2 bells: the church was restored about 1860, at the sole expense of the patron, and has sittings for 50 persons. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1674; marriages, 1675. The living is a rectory, net income 67, with 8 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Sir Lionel M. S. Pilkington, baronet, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Charles Edward Chaloner Lindsey, L.Th., of Durham University. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1850.

Wonastow Court, supposed to have been built in the reign of King Henry VI. was at one time the residence of a branch of the Herbert family: the old chapel belonging to the mansion has been converted into domestic offices; it is the property of Sir L. M. Swinnerton-Pilkington, baronet, but is now the residence of Sir John Henry Seale, baronet, D.L., J.P.

Treowen Castle, the residence of Mr. Frederick William Lawrence, farmer, has many interesting and ancient features, the most notable of which are the winding staircase and the oak fittings.

The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor. Sir Lionel Milborne Swinnerton-Pilkington, baronet, of Butterton Hall, Staffordshire, and Col. Ivor John Caradoc Herbert, C.B., C.M.G., of Llanarth Court, are the principal landowners.

The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are beans, wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,606 acres of land and 9 of water; rateable value, 1,224; the population in 1891 was 125.

Letters through Monmouth, the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive at 7.30 a.m. The nearest Letter Boxes are at Mitchel Troy, which is cleared at 5.40 p.m. & at Jingle Street, which is cleared at 5 p.m. week days only

Parochial school, formerly the old parsonage, but about 30 years ago converted to its present use, & enlarged, in 1895, at the cost of Sir Lionel M. Pilkington, bart., for about 40 children; average attendance, 25; Mrs. Smith, mistress

Lindsey Rev. Charles Edward Chaloner, L.Th., The Rectory
Seale Sir John Henry, baronet, D.L., J.P., Wonastow court

Allen Robert, farmer, White hill
Bevan Enoch Thomas, farmer & cider maker, Gwern-y-Saint
Jenkins Warren, farmer, see Powell, Ann (Mrs.) & Jenkins
Lawrence Frederick William & Louisa (Mrs.), farmers, Treowen Castle
Lewis Frederick Powell, carpenter
Nicholas Elijah, farmer
Nicholas Walter, farmer & miller (water)
Nicholas Wm. farmer, Little Wonastow
Powell Ann (Mrs) & Jenkins, Warren, farmers, Little Wonastow
Price Thomas, castrator