John Justus Koch was brought to America from Hesse-Cassell, Germany, by his six older sisters in 1870. He was sixteen years old, and the sisters brought him to America to avoid military conscription in Germany. He went to work in the Justus Koch Knitting Mill in Philadelphia and, according to Philadelphia City Directories, lived with the Justus Koch family for some time. Justus Koch was John's uncle who had been in America for some time. He had also come from Hesse-Cassell.

One of John's older sisters, Martha, married Justus Koch, another married a gentleman named Peters and a third sister, Mary, also lived with the Justus Koch family at 425 Moyer Street in Philadelphia. (Source: 1870 Census)

In 1878, John Justus Koch married Caroline Myers, daughter of Frederick and Dorothea Class Myers. The first child of John and Caroline Koch was Harry Justus Koch, born October 14, 1880 in Philadelphia. Dora Koch was born in 1883 and the third child, George Max Koch, was born June 14, 1888. The family lived at 620 Girard Avenue in Philadelphia. More complete details of the genealogy of the Koch family may be found at .


Frederick A. Myers was born in 1831 in Philadelphia. According to entries in the Philadelphia City Directory, his father, also Frederick Myers, was a baker last shown in 1860. Frederick Myers married Dorothea Class about 1856 and they had three daughters - Caroline, born in 1857; Emma, born in 1863; and Lizzie, born in 1868. Sometime after the birth of Lizzie,Frederick Myers left Dorothea and re-married at some point in New Jersey. Dorothea Class Myers ran a saloon at 621Girard Avenue in Philadelphia.

With the outbreak of the War Between the States, Frederick A. Myers was recruited by Captain H.A. Cook for Company I of the Pennsylvania 72nd Infantry Regiment and enlisted in Philadelphia on April 10, 1861. Organized in August, 1861, this fifteen company regiment was popularly known as Baxter's Fire Zouaves for their leader, Colonel DeWitt Clinton Baxter, since many Philadelphia firefighters flocked to join the unit.


        The regiment went to Washington in September, 1861, and was assigned to the Philadelphia Brigade,
composed of the 69th, 71st, 72nd and 106th Regiments. The brigade spent the winter guarding the shores of the Potomac
River near Poolesville, Maryland. The command had been assigned as Baker's Brigade, Sedgwick's Division, Sumner's Corps.
While at Camp Observation in Maryland, the Fire Zouves were increased to fifteen companies, having a muster roll of about 1,600. They wore the colorful and showy uniform of the French Zouaves until the Peninsular Campaign when they discarded
the conspicuous uniforms in favor of the plain blue regulation type.

Colonel Baker fell at Ball's Bluff, Virginia, October 22, 1861. He was succeeded by General W.W. Burns. The four regiments were re-christened as the "Philadelphia Brigade" and remained a part of the Second Corps throughout the conflict. After taking part in some maneuvering in the northern Shenandoah Valley, the brigade rejoined the Army of the Potomac and moved to the Yorktown Peninsula in April, 1862. As part of the Second Division, Second Corps, the 72nd participated in the Siege of Yorktown and followed the retreating Confederate army toward Richmond. The regiment fought at Fair Oaks on June 1, suffering few casualties. During the Seven Days' Battles the 72nd was engaged at Savage's Station on June 29.

When the Army of the Potomac was withdrawn from the Peninsula and sent to northern Virginia, Second Corps men were among the last troops to board ships and were not engaged at Second Manassas. They did, however, arrive in time to help cover Pope's retreat. Following that, the Second Corps was closely engaged with Lee's troops at Antietam on September 17.The 72nd met with severe and prolonged fighting and heavy losses as the Second Division of the corps advanced to the Dunker Church area and was hit in the flank and driven from the field. In a very few minutes, the 72nd Pennsylvania suffered the third highest casualties of any Federal regiment that day - 38 killed, 163 wounded and 36 missing. The regiment next met the enemy at Fredericksburg on December 13, losing 71 men in the fruitless attacks on Marye's Heights.

After wintering near Falmouth, the regiment played a minor role in the Chancellorsville Campaign of April and May, 1863.The Second Division of the corps cooperated with the Sixth Corps in recapturing Fredericksburg, then remained in the city as guards when the other troops moved on toward Chancellorsville. Following the Falmouth, Virginia encampment, the regiment moved on toward Gettysburg. The command reached the field on the evening of July 1st, and went into position near the center of the battle line, and there, at the "bloody angle," stands today the bronze Zouave typifying the fierce hand-to-hand combat which took place on July 3rd. By this time, Frederick Myers had been promoted to the rank of First Sergeant.

The Pennsylvania 72nd played a prominent role in the action on July 3rd. They stood in the path of Pickett's Charge and suffered heavy casualties. As the vanguard of the Rebel assault reached the stone wall on Cemetery Ridge, the regiment fell back a few yards, and both sides stood immobile, loading and firing at each other. Brigadier General Alexander S. Webb, commanding the Philadelphia Brigade, saw that the enemy assault had spent itself and that a determined counterattack could win the day. Webb went to the front of the regiment, took hold of the flagstaff, and ordered the bearer of Company H to advance the colors. Even when threatened with a loaded pistol, the bearer would not go forward. Webb gave up in disgust and made his way along the line to find other troops who would advance. The Company H bearer then advanced and was killed. Someone else picked up the flag and led the advance that captured or killed the grayclad survivors. The wall held and victory was gained by the Union. Lee's army then retreated to Virginia.

When the two armies returned to Virginia after Gettysburg, the regiment took part in the Bristoe Station and Mine Run campaigns before entering winter quarters near Stevensburg, Virginia. The Pennsylvania was heavily involved in The Wilderness (May 5-7), Spotsylvania (May 8-18) and Cold Harbor on June 4th. The Army of the Potomac then crossed the James River and attacked Petersburg on June 16, the 72nd suffering a loss of 55 soldiers. Its last general fighting took place on June 27 as the Second Corps attempted to cut the Weldon Railroad near Petersburg. Frederick Myers - now a Captain - was wounded on June 22. 1864, and mustered out with his company on August 24, 1864.

                                                 DESCRIPTION AT TIME OF ENLISTMENT

                                                               Birthplace - Philadelphia
                                                               Occupation - Carpenter
                                                               Age - 30
                                                               Height - 5'  8 1/2"
                                                               Complexion - Dark
                                                               Eyes - Black
                                                               Hair - Dark

          Visit this great site for more information about the 7nd PA:

                                                      contact me: