With Parson's Green, Walham Green, North End (or St. John's) & Neighbourhood
(Source - Pigot & Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of the Counties of Essex, Herts & Middlesex, September 1839)
Fulham is a parish and village in the hundred of Ossulton, four miles s.w. by w from Hyde Park Corner; situated on the north bank of the Thames, and connected with Putney, in Surrey, by a wooden bridge over the river. This is a populous parish, and comprises Walham Green, Parson's Green and North End or St. John's, and formerly Hammersmith, which has lately been separated from Fulham and erected into a distinct parish. The earliest mention we find made of Fulham occurs in a grant of the manor by Tyrhtilus, bishop of Hereford, to Erkenwald, bishop of London and his successors, about the year 691; in which grant it is called Fulanham (Saxon - Fullenhame - the resort or habitation of birds) ; other authorities have named it Fullonham, Fullenham and Foulham. In the vicinity of Fulham are several extensive nursery grounds, and much of the land is occupied by market gardeners. A manufactury for earthenware, in imitation of porcelain, was established here so far back as 1684; but the fine manufacture has been superseded by that of jars, pots, &c. of stone-ware. The place is well lighted with gas, from works situated at Sand's End, at the extremity of the parish.
The parish church of All Saints stands near the water side, and is an ancient stone building, consisting of a nave, chancel, and two aisles; at the west end is a handsome Gothic tower, 95 feet in height (built, it is conjectured, about the 14th century), containing a set of excellent bells. The living comprises a rectory and vicarage; the former is a swanker, in the patronage of the bishop of London, and the latter in the presentation of the rector; the Rev. George Robert Baker is the incumbent, and the Rev. J.W. North the present curate. Besides the church, there are places of worship for various religious classes. A school has been erected here, at the expense of £600., in which children (80 of whom are clothed) are educated upon the system of Dr. Bell; there are likewise an infants' school, twelve alms houses for poor widows, and a union poorhouse. The bishop of London's palace, situated on the bank of the Thames, is a brick edifice, and consists of two courts; the principal entrance into the great quadrangle is on the west side, through an arched gateway: it was built by bishop Fitzjames, in the reign of Henry VII; no curiosity is excited by its outward appearance, nor does it, indeed, internally posses any object to gratify the travellers research; the building, with the grounds, embrace about 37 acres, and the whole is surrounded by a moat, over which are two bridges. There are numerous beautiful residences seated along the banks of the Thames, in the immediate vicinage of Fulham; and the approach to the village by water presents a rich variety of elegant seats, gardens, and plantations, the entire combining to produce a delightful landscape of highly refined scenery. The parish of Fulham contained, by the returns for 1831, 7,317 inhabitants.
PARSON'S GREEN, is a pleasant village in the parish of Fulham, and derives its name from the Rectory House, which stands on the west side of the green; it lies about midway between Fulham and Walham Green, and stages are constantly passing through it. Many good residences and several respectable school establishments are in this neighbourhood. A fair was formerly held here on the 17th of August, but it has been discontinued for some years.
WALHAM GREEN, in the same parish as Parson's Green, was formerly called Wendon Green, and was afterwards varied to Wandon, Wansdon, Wandham, and Waltham Green, by which latter appellation it is now recognised. It consists principally of one main street, which branches off into the high road to London. The population of late years has much increased, which has rendered the erection of a chapel of ease necessary, and a neat structure was completed in 1828; it contains a beautiful window of stained glass, the subject of which is the Transfiguration. There are also two chapels for dissenters, and a national and infants' schools for children of both sexes. In the neighbourhood are several superior boarding schools.
NORTH END or St JOHN'S in the same parish, extends from Waltham Green to Hammersmith, and contains some very handsome dwellings. In this hamlet are two private establishments, ('Normand House' and 'Beaufort House') for the reception of insane persons. A large ale brewery, called the 'North End Brewery', is situated on the Kensington side of the village.
POST, Receiving-Houses at William Sadler's, High-street, FULHAM; at Robert Crunder's, shopkeeper, PARSON'S GREEN; and at Charles Griffin's, WALHAM GREEN. - Letters from LONDON arrive every morning at half-past nine, afternoon at half-past one, half-past two and half-past four, and are dispatched every morning at half-past ten, afternoon at half-past two and half-past five and night at half-past seven.
Back to contents