World Historical and Societal Life February 1957
- February 1 - 1 black pilot (PH Young) on a US scheduled passenger airline
- February 1 - Gijsbert of Hall appointed mayor of Amsterdam
- February 1 - Felix Wankel's first working prototype DKM 54 of the Wankel engine was running at the NSU research and development department Versuchsabteilung TX in Germany
- February 2 - "Candide" closes at Martin Beck Theater NYC after 73 performances
- February 2 - UN adopts a resolution calling for Israeli troops to leave Egypt
- February 3 - Patty Berg wins LPGA Havana Golf Open
- February 4 - 1 electric portable typewriter placed on sale (Syracuse N
- February 4 - France prohibits UN involvement in Algeria
- February 5 - Dmitri Shostakovitch completes his second Piano Concert
- February 8 - SF Public Library's bookmobile initiated in front of City Hall
- February 10 - Fay Crocker wins LPGA Serbin Golf Open
- February 10 - Southern Christian Leadership Conference forms
- February 11 - KUMV TV channel 8 in Williston, ND (NBC) begins broadcasting
- February 11 - NHL Players Association forms (NYC), Red Wings' Ted Lindsay elected president
- February 12 - Researchers announce Borazan (harder than diamonds) been developed
- February 14 - Southern Christian Leadership Conference organizes in New Orleans
- February 14 - Georgia Senate unanimously approves Sen Leon Butts' bill barring blacks from playing baseball with whites
- February 15 - Andrei A Gromyko succeeds Dmitri Shepilov as Soviet foreign minister
- February 16 - The "Toddlers' Truce", a controversial television closedown between 6.00pm and 7.00pm was abolished in the United Kingdom.
- February 17 - Mary Lena Faulk wins LPGA St Petersburg Golf Open
- February 17 - Suez Canal reopens
- February 17 - A fire at a home for the elderly in Warrenton, Missouri kills 72 people.
- February 18 - Dedan Kimathi, a Kenyan rebel leader is executed by the British colonial government.
- February 20 - Hughie Tayfield takes 9-113 v England, 13 wkts for match
- February 21 - Dodgers (Fort Worth) & Cubs (LA) "trade" minor league franchises
- February 22 - Jockey Ted Atkinson, 3,500 win
- February 22 - Walter O'Malley says Dodgers may play 10 exhibitions in California in 1958
- February 23 - "Mr. Wonderful" closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 383 performances
- February 23 - The founding congress of the Senegalese Popular Bloc is opened in Dakar.
- February 25 - Buddy Holly & Crickets record "That'll Be the Day"
- February 25 - Supreme Court decides 6-3, baseball is only antitrust exempt pro sport
- February 27 - Mao's speech "On Correct Handling of Contradictions Among People"
- February 27 - Premiere of only prime-time network TV show beginning with an "X": "Xavier Cugat Show" on NBC (until X-Files)
February 28 - Jockey Johnny Longden's 5,000 career victory
This page was last updated on Saturday, December 05, 2015 01:54
Judith Ann Florian
Girard, Ohio 44420
Copyright Notice - Data / info. for individuals and surnames may be reproduced for personal family histories only, but not for any commercial use or sale. Please give credit to Judith Florian and Catherine L. Caldwell for newspaper items and original documents. You may use J. Florian's research conclusions if credit is given. No other data or images may be reproduced without permission. © 2005 to present, Judith Florian, Copyright All rights reserved.
The background was chosen specifically to emphasize the matriarchal role of women in "the life" of children and families, and the resilience of all the women of southwestern Pennsylvania.