from The Parliamentary Gazetteer
England and Wales (1840 - 1843)
Edmondthorpe, a parish in the hund. of Framland, union of
EDMONDTHORPE, a village and parish, in Framland Hundred, near the Melton and Oakham Canal, 11/2 miles S.W. of Whissendine station, on the Syston and Peterborough branch of the railway, 6 miles N. of Oakham, and 8 miles E. of Melton Mowbray, in that Union and County Court District, contained 238 inhabitants in 1871, living in 51 houses, on 1753 acres of land, of which 65 acres is woodland, and about 500 acres arable. The soil is chiefly clay, with a mixture of red loam, and in some parts rocky. The HALL, a fine old mansion, in a park of 73 acres, was thoroughly restored and improved in 1868, and two years later the offices, &c., were enlarged, at a total expenditure of £5000, and is the residence and property of William Ann Pochin, Esq., the lord of the manor, and owner of all the land except eight or nine acres belonging to the Rev. Henry Fludyar. The manor was anciently held by the Ferrers, Earls of Derby, and afterwards by the Tibtoft, Scrope, Berkeley, and Smith families, the latter of whom sold it to W. Pochin, Esq., of Barkby, in 1762. The CHURCH (St. Michael) has a nave, with aisles, a chancel, and a tower, containing three bells. The north aisle was newly roofed in 1858, at a cost of £400, raised by a rate; and a new clock was placed in the tower in 1860, at the expense of the lord of the manor. The church was re-floored and newly seated in 1861-2, when the wall enclosing the Smiths' monuments was cleared away, the tower arch opened to the nave, a new pulpit and a reading desk, both of oak, erected, the bells re-hung, and the church thoroughly restored, at a cost of £1100, of which £320 was given by the lord of the manor, and the remainder raised by rate. At the same time the chancel was restored by the rector, at an outlay of £120. in the church are some good marble monuments of the Smiths. The living, a rectory, valued in K.B. at £14 12s. 81/2d., and now at £630, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. William B. Killock, B.A., who has a good residence, built in 1840, at a cost of £1800. The tithes have been commuted for £480 per annum; and the glebe is 58A. 2R. 12p. in Edmondthorpe, and l6A, at Wymondham. In 1863 a new SCHOOL was erected by the lord of the manor, at a cost of £750, in lieu of the old one, built in 1838. In 1720 Sir Edward Smith left £200, to be laid out in land, the rent to be applied, as far as necessary, in repairing the south aisle of the church, and the overplus to be distributed among the poor, at the discretion of the lord of the manor. In 1735, £72 of this sum was laid out in the purchase of land at Great Ponton, now worth above £10 a year, but it is not known what became of the rest of this legacy. The same donor also gave in 1687 a yearly rent-charge of £10, out of land at Deeping St. James, for distribution among the poor of Edmonsthorpe; but it is subject to a deduction of £2 for drainage tax, &c. Here is a handsome pump, with cast-iron covering, erected by the lord of the manor in 1850, for the use of the inhabitants. The parish feast is on the Sunday after Old Michaelmas Day.
POST viā. Oakham, but Wymondham is the nearest Money Order Office. There is a WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at
Cross Mrs Catherine, farmer
Knight Miss Eleanor Annotte,
Tett Thomas, rate collector
Copyright Guy Etchells © 2000-04 All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal and non-commercial uses. It is my intention to make all data contained herein freely available for all private, non-profit and non-commercial uses. Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.