Major George Druitt (1775-1842)

Back To . . .48th Foot .The Northamptonshire Regiment . Back To . C to D

  • Born : 1775
  • Where : Ireland
  • Occupation : Soldier
  • Date Arrived : 13/11/ 1817.
  • Ship Arrived on : Barque..Matilda
  • Date of Enlistment : October 1816 . from the 58th regiment
  • Where Enlisted :
  • Rank Attained : .Major
  • Date of Discharged : July 1822, (sold out his Commission)
  • Where Discharged : Sydney
  • Died :8/6/1842
  • Where Died / Buried : Sydney N.S.W the pioneer section he was at Devonshire st the central railway station and is interned at botany with his wife and son in d d 540
  • Parents Names :  
  • Spouse's Name : Margaret Lynch (b......d.)
  • Date Married : April 1852
  • Where Married : Sydney
  • Spouse's Parents
  • Born :
  • Where :
  • Occupation : Home Duties
  • Date Arrived : 13/11/ 1817.
  • Ship Arrived on : Barque..Matilda
  • Died :
  • Where Died / Buried : the pioneer section Botany Cemetery
    John Vincent's Webb Site and E-mail address
  • Descendants
    Area Settled :
    Liverpool Plains & Sydney
    Children :

    Descendants :

    History & Achievements :

    Major George Druitt began his military career as a member of the 121st Regiment . Later transferring to
    the 134th Regiment and on to the 58th Regiment in January 1796,being promoted whilst a serving member of the 58th Regiment to the rank of Captain. It was not until October 1816, he transferred to the 48th Regiment . Major George Druitt arrived in Sydney on board the "Barque..Matilda . 13/11/ 1817.
    Whilst en route to Sydney he convinced the wife of Private Terrance Barnes, Margaret Lynch to leave
    her husband upon arrival in Sydney, this she did. George and Margaret eventually married in April 1825. Margaret actually stowed away on board the "Matilda" . She married her ship board lover Private Terrence Barnes, whilst en route to Sydney . Following disembarkation, Private Terrence Barnes saw Druitt and his wife through a window .Barnes presented his musket and fired one shot, which fortunately for Druitt missed . Barnes was arrested but due to a possible counter charge against Druitt, the charges against Barnes were dropped.
    It is interesting to note: Upon Druitt's arrival he claimed to be so poor he could not pay his mess bill. The 48th's Paymaster Murray was later to state, " Unable to pay his mess bill and yet shortly after he builds himself a fine house, lived in the most extravagant way to the outrage of all decency and decorum" .
    Following Major Druitt's arrival in Sydney, he was appointed Acting Engineer, Artilley Office and Inspector
    of Government Public Works . He resigned these positions when he sold out his commission in 1822. The government of the time was not impressed with Druitt's administration and ordered an investigation into its affairs. No charges were ever laid. The investigation only delayed the land grants issued to Druitt. It was not until 1837 that the grants were confirmed.
    Following his discharge, Druitt spent most of his life developing his lands. He extended his holdings
    to Liverpool Plains. The site of this grant is now the suburb of Mount Druitt located west of Sydney. The first grant issued to Druitt is now the location of the Carlton Kent Brewery on Broadway in Sydney. Druitt devoted a lot of time to the public arena serving time as the following, Parramatta Grand Jury 1926, Justice of the Peace, member of the Agricultural Society ,The Australian Racing Club, and a share holder in the Bank of New South Wales.
    C to D
    Reference :
    Records of the 48th . Mitchell Library ,Sydney,New South Wales.Australia.
    The Colonial Garrison 1817-1824 ( Clem Sargent ) published 1996
    Wellington's Military Machine( Philip J. Haythornthaite) published 1995
    e- mail address
    Copyright B & M Chapman (QLD) Australia
    Last revised: April 15, 2007.