Note the following Description of the Royal Artillery
Battalions were formed which consisted of Companies . (ie) 6th Company of the10th Battalion Royal Artillery. Later Battalions became Brigades and Companies became Batteries (ie) 1st Battery of the 15th Brigade Royal Artillery . Companies made up Battalions and Batteries made up Brigades , 3rd Battery 24th Brigade
(2nd Company of 6th Battalion Royal Artillery ) ( 6th Company of 10th Battalion Royal Artillery) ( 8th Company of 10th Battalion Royal Artillery ) ( 1st Battery of 1st Brigade Royal Artillery Arrived September 1868 .... Departed September 1870). (1st Battery of 4th Brigade Royal Artillery). (7th Battery of 2nd Brigade Royal Artillery ). (1st Battery of 15th Brigade Royal Artillery). ( 3rd Company of 7th Battalion redesignated as 3 Company 12th Brigade, Royal Artillery) . 3rd Battery 24th Brigade Arrived 1835 Departed 1845
The first official gunners were appointed in 1485, as part of what became the Board of Ordnance. Throughout the next 400 years the forts around Britain had master gunners permanently appointed by the Board of Ordnance. Trains of artillery were formed for campaigning both at home and abroad, with guns and the men to serve them.
In 1716, under a Royal Warrant, two
companies of artillery, each of 100 men, were formed at the Woolwich
Warren (later the Royal Arsenal) to ensure that a regular force of
gunners was available when needed. Woolwich has been the spiritual
home of the 'Gunners' ever since that time, although the Regiment had
moved to its famous barracks on Woolwich Common by 1805.
The Regiment expanded rapidly in the 18th century and saw service in every campaign and every garrison world-wide. In 1793, the Royal Horse Artillery was formed to provide greater mobility in the field, and soon became associated with the role of supporting cavalry. The RHA performed so well that it became a corps d'elite within the Regiment.
The 19th century saw the Regiment heavily engaged in the Crimean War and the South African War. Throughout the century, it was campaigning in India alongside the separate artilleries of the East India Company. This led to their amalgamation with the British Army after the Indian Mutiny,
History of the Artillery In Australia
“A” Field Battery is the oldest permanent unit of the Australian army. Before 1870 each of the major ports in colonial Australia were defended by the British garrison troops from the Royal Garrison Artillery. At the end of 1871 the Royal Garrison Artillery was withdrawn from the colony of New South Wales and the colonial government passed an act allowing for the raising of a Permanent Military Force to provide the coastal artillery. A Battery, New South Wales Artillery, was formed in August 1871, and was trained and organised to replicate the Royal Artillery. In 1885 A Battery was sent to the Sudan, as the New South Wales Battery, and 14 years later it was sent to the Boer War, as part of second contingent from New South Wales.