FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
The Baptists in Hamilton trace their beginning to
1873. Dr. Donavan Duncan Tidwell recorded the history of a ten-day
revival held during the Fall of 1873 in Hamilton by Daniel Babb,
Edmund Eldred Sellers and R. S. Underwood. As the result of this
revival three people were baptized into the nearest Baptist Church--the Leon Baptist
Church (No. 1), seven miles
east of Hamilton.
Missionary Baptist Church with eighteen members was admitted to the
Leon River Association in 1874. Captain Alfred Hayne Watson,
the Hamilton school teacher, invited the church which was to become First Baptist Church to meet in the school building which was in
the 500 block of East Henry. After 1882 the Presbyterian
Church invited the Baptists to share their building for their
Members of Hamilton Baptist Church attended the 4 July,
1877, meeting in Cottonwood Springs School
when the Hamilton County Baptist
Association (HCBA) was constituted. Since Hamilton Baptist
Church was a member of the Leon River Baptist Association, it could not
become a charter member of HCBA. Hamilton Baptist Church was dismissed by
letter from the Leon River Baptist Association on 10 September,
1877. At the first annual meeting of Hamilton
County Baptist Association at Plum
Creek Baptist Church on 12 October, 1877, Hamilton Baptist Church was
admitted to HCBA.
On August 24, 1888, Alfred Haynes Watson, W. W.
Kilpatrick, George H. Robbins, S. J. Allen, and G. R.
Freeman, trustees of the Baptist Church in Hamilton purchased
Lot No. 3, in Block No. 11 of the original town of Hamilton from Mr.
and Mrs. S. W. Walker for $30 for the church. It was not until 1896
that a church building was erected on this property on South Bell. The
first Baptist Church building in the village of Hamilton was
a native stone edifice constructed by James Malcolm
"Jim" Tomlinson. [This building was still being built in
(Click small pictures to see enlarged
Hamilton Baptist Church
1896--the construction of this building was still in progress in June,
Old First Baptist Church Organ
Donated in July, 2004
to the Hamilton County Museum
by Bradley and Sue (Wilson) Garner
From The Hamilton Herald-News, July 22, 2004
When this building was destroyed by fire on 6
February, 1924, the Baptists met in the courthouse until a brick building
could be completed in 1925. After the death of his wife Fronia in
1921, George Morrow Carlton gave a pipe organ to
Church in her memory. Mr. Carlton’s second wife, Mrs.
Marcie Wysong was organist for many years.
Hamilton Baptist Church,
February, 1925 to
27 May, 1970
In 1970 fire again
destroyed the First Baptist Church and the current building was
constructed the following year.
TO THE ANNUAL ASSOCIATION MEETING
Deceased members of the Baptist churches
comprising the HCBA/HCMBA/HBA were remembered during each annual session. Since
1906 the names of those who died between the annual sessions of HCBA were
printed in the published minutes.
HISTORY OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, HAMILTON, TX, 1873 - 1998