WHITEWAY

                    
Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 

                     

Search this site      powered by FreeFind
    

WHITEWAY

WHITEWAY is located about ten miles east of Hamilton on HWY 36. John S. White, a Primitive Baptist preacher came to Hamilton County in 1860 with his family and settled on the Leon River about ten miles east of Hamilton. For safety the family lived in Hamilton rather than in the log cabin on their farm. John S. White was the last Chief Justice of Hamilton County in 1865 and then was the first County Judge in 1866. Since Hamilton was lawless in the early 1870's George W. White, son of John S. White and Elizabeth Barrier White, often helped escort the district judges from the county line into Hamilton for court and then back to the county line as they left.

WHITEWAY, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online

 

 
Home ] Up ]


People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress