Cherry Hill Plantation
Built in 1858 by John A. Waddell, the house is a part of the National Register of Historic Places
Cherry Hill Plantation was the property of George Washington Alston (1801-1849)who left the land to his wife's care when he died. His wife, Marina P. Williams- Alston (1810-1897), whom he had married February 14, 1829 in Warren County, took over the operation of the plantation and built a new plantation home, which is still standing today in Warren County. George W. Alston was the son of Philip Guston Alston (1762-1820) & Mary Williams Harris, married ca. 1784; Philip G. Alston was the son of Philip Alston (ca.1706-1784) & Winefred Whitmel (1729-1795)married ca. 1745; Philip Alston was the son of John Alston (1670-1758) & Mary (ca. 1700) who had lived in Chowan Co, NC.
Marina P. Williams was the daughter of William Williams (1760 -1838) & his 2nd wife, Elizabeth Kearney (1769-1863) who married December 4, 1790; William Williams was the son of Solomon Williams (ca. 1723 -d. July 29, 1794) & Temperance Boddie (d. May 11, 1784),who married June 23, 1757; Solomon Williams was the son of Samuel Williams (ca.1698-1754) & Elizabeth Alston (ca. 1711-aft.1792) who had lived in Edgecombe Co.,NC.
The owners of this plantation were also associated with the following plantations along with the surnames of their owners: Myrtle Lawn (WILLIAMS) and Tusculum (ALSTON) in Warren County; Linwood Farms (DAVIS), Rocky Hill (THORN) and Vine Hill (DAVIS) in Franklin County.
Slaves named in records from this family:
From 1784 will of Philip Alston to wife, Winefred, following slaves:
From 1820, will of Philip G. Alston to son, George W. Alston, following slaves:
From 1838, will of William Williams to Marina P.(Williams) Alston, following slaves:
George Washington Alston died in 1849; then in 1852, his brother, Philip Guston Alston also died, leaving a portion of his estate to his nieces & nephews. In February 1860, the Court ordered a division of the Slaves from both Estates to be distributed to the children who were now starting to come to legal age.
From May 1860, the Estate of George W. Alston, a list of the following slaves, including ages & Values:
*Note: Scrofula was a form of tuberculosis; a disease characterized by the growth of ulcerated tumors on the neck.
Additional slaves belonging to the Estate listed in May 1860, to be divided between his three children:
From these, the following were allotted to son, Philip G. Alston in May 1860:
From May 1860, the Estate of Philip G. Alston (d.1852), list of his Slaves to be divided among the children of his brother, George W. Alston; that is, Philip G. Alston, George W. Alston, & William H. Alston:
From the above list, the following were allotted to Philip G. Alston, son of George W. Alston & Marina P. Williams:
In January 1850, the following slaves from the Estate of George W.Alston's plantation in Wilcox County, Alabama, were sold:
Many of the former slaves of the Warren County, Fork, Shocco & Fishing Creek Township area having the surnames of ALSTON, WILLIAMS, KEARNEY & DAVIS, were from Cherry Hill and Fishing Creek Plantations, both owned by George W. Alston, and its sister plantation, Myrtle Lawn.
See further Cherry Hill & Myrtle Lawn information and photographs.
Transcribed copies of the following wills & estates with additional slave records are also on this website:
Bible Records: Alston, Kearney Bible, Phil G. Alston Bible, William K. Kearney Bible, Dr. R. Edgar Williams Bible, Solomon W. Williams Bible, Solomon Williams, Temporance Bodie Bible, Williams,Polk,Davis Bible transcriptions located at:
© 2012 to present This website and all material on it are the property of Deloris Williams. You may use these records for personal research only, no materials on this website is to be reproduced or republished to a commercial website without the express permission of the author. Last updated 03/05/2015