In the 1870's Franklin H. Gruber, founder of the Gruber Wagon Works, began buiding wagons. This was in Mt. Pleasent, Pa. Berks County.
The manufacturing process evolved from a single craftmen using tools and techniques passed down for centuries, to a family operated business employing mass production methods.
On July 2, 1972, the Gruber Wagon Works was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1976, the building was moved to the Berks County Heritage Center, due to the building of the Blue Marsh Dam.
Built in 1867, it is one of the longest of Pennsylvania's surviving covered bridges. Measuring 204 feet.
PROPERTY OF THE WOMAN'SCLUB OF READING, PA.
JANUARY 2, 1919
BEFORE THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR
DANIEL ROSE, CLOCKMAKER
FRIEND OF GEORGE WASHINGTON
LIVED HERE IN 1774
ONE OF HIS GRANDFATHER'S CLOCKS WAS PRESENTED TO GENERAL LAFAYETTE TO TAKE BACK TO FRANCE, AS A GIFT FROM AMERICA IN APPRECIATION OF HIS HELP DURING THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR