In the late Winter of 2005 I wanted to remove the side chrome from the rear fender of my Savage and decided that I didn't like the look of the taillights on the fender itself. I liked the OEM signals, however and wanted to find a way to use them. I considered making a mounting tube until one day I thought of an L-bracket. A little more consideration developed into a C-bracket which would be much more stable. Here's what I ended up with...
First, The Scootworks has a rear signal adapter, (part # Suzuki Rear Signal Adapters) for $37.99. http://126.96.36.199/swcart/shop.cgi/page=partssuzlightbar.htm (bottom of the page)
|They are nice aluminum billet adapters
that take the place of the rubber extension on the OEM lights. You
can bolt them wherever you can drill a hole. They are very sturdy
and very nicely milled, not molded.
They also have a bracket that replaces the rubber extension, but goes into the original mounting hole. It's a little more expensive, but would look nive on the front signals.
These brackets are what allows an easy, neat installation. Order them.
Next a C-Bracket needs fabricated. I originally used aluminum bar and while it looked very nice, it did not hold up well when it got it's first good bump. I made a second one from a 1" x 3/16" x 4' iron bar I purchased at Lowe's.
I'm not providing any other specs, since I didn't measure anything. I have an aftermarket chromed license plate frame and I made my bracket using that as a template for spacing and countersinking the drill targets.
Here it goes, visually. Click on the pictures for full size images...
|In a nutshell, bend a bracket the width of your license plate frame. The dog legs should bend back about 1 1/2" to 2". Drill holes for the mounting to the rear of the license plate bracket and larger holes for the flasher adapters. There's also a need to cut two notches to fit the bikes mounting bracket. I got my bolts at Lowes and used those nuts with the nylon lock at one end. This type.|
|Here's the finished bracket, primered, painted and baking in the sun.|
|Here's another angle. Please note the clever segue of photographic angles from the drawing to the next picture.|
|This is the bracket with the adapters mounted, ready for deployment. Make sure they are tight and aligned. Click on the picture for more detail.|
|Mounted on the bike...|
|Close up from the front. Please note the notch.|
|From the front, with the lights attached. I used a cable tie to link the wiring, which then snakes through the existing wire frame, through the hole with a big grommet (tight fit, spit makes a great lube) and to the wiring connectors. I had to make a 6" extension in order for the wires to reach home.|
|Rear shot. Look how nice and clean it looks. If I placed these lights back in the same spots they were with the side chrome, it would look it had big ears.|
|Full rear shot.|
|Side shot, next to The Redbird, my V-Star 1100 Classic.|
|There you have it.
Love and Kisses,