When the war was brought to a successful termination and victory perched upon the banners of the north, he was
honorably discharged in March, 1865, and returned to his home in Barry. In 1868 he was elected to the office of
county sheriff, proving quite capable and reliable in the discharge of his duties, so that he retired from the
position as he had entered it — with the confidence and trust of all concerned. Following his retirement from office
he purchased an interest in a woolen mill but this proved unprofitable, and he then turned his attention to farming.
In 1875 he purchased a fine farm and for a long period was active in its management, having eighty acres of land,
which he brought under a high state of cultivation, so that he annually harvested good crops. He also had a comfortable
residence there and other substantial buildings, and he continued to reside upon his farm until 1905, when he removed
to Barry. In the meantime he had extended the boundaries of his property until he owned two hundred and twenty
acres of rich and productive land.
In April, 1867, occurred the marriage of William G. Hubbard and Miss Sarah A. Wike, a daughter of William and Hannah
(Hagy) Wike. She was born in Pennsylvania, and her parents were also natives of the Keystone state, whence they
came to Pike county in 1848, locating at the old Shields mill on Hadley creek. Her father died in 1850, leaving
a wife and four children. Mrs. Hubbard being at that time nine years of age and the eldest child. In 1862 her mother
married again, becoming the wife of Jordan Freeman, and her remaining days were passed in Pike county, where she
died in April, 1881.
Mr. Hubbard was an advocate of the democracy, and was called to several local offices, serving as magistrate for
a number of terms, and also as supervisor. He was prominent in community affairs and his opinion carried considerable
weight and influence. He was a man whose friendship could always be counted upon if it was once gained. He possessed
an even temperament, kindly disposition and a genial nature, and his genuine worth was recognized by all with whom
he came in contact. He belonged to Barry lodge, No. 34, A. F. & A. M., to Barry chapter, No. 88, R. A. M. and
for twelve consecutive years served as secretary of the lodge. He passed away on the 17th of December, 1905, at
the age of seventy-six years, and the community mourned the loss of one whom it had come to respect and honor as
a man of sterling worth.
Although his privileges in youth were somewhat limited, and it was necessary for him to provide for his own support
from an early age, he made the most of his opportunities in life and by reading and observation became a well informed
man. Moreover his business affairs were so directed that success resulted, and he left his family in comfortable
financial circumstances. In all his dealings he was honorable and upright, and his traits of character made him
one of nature's noblemen. Mrs. Hubbard, still residing in Barry, is a faithful member of the Baptist church, and
has ever been a great student of the Bible.
A. L. KISER
A. L. Kiser, who is one of the active and thrifty farmers of Newburg township, living on section 23, owns and cultivates
three hundred and twenty acres of land in connection with his father, and of this two hundred and ninety acres
is situated in the home place, which is a neat and well improved property. Mr. Kiser was born in Newburg township,
April 8, 1867, and is a representative of one of the pioneer families of the county. His father, David F. Kiser,
was born in Indiana, May 17, 1841, the grandfather, Jacob L. Kiser, having come from Indiana, his native state,
to Pike county at an early period in the development of this portion of Illinois. David F. Kiser was reared and
educated in Newburg township and after reaching adult age was married to Miss Janetta Williams, who was born in
Detroit township and is a daughter of Madison Williams, also one of the pioneer settlers of this state, having
come to Pike county from North Carolina. Following his marriage Mr. Kiser settled on a farm in Newburg township,
where he carried on general agricultural pursuits for a number of years and he now resides in Detroit.