father was a native of Virginia and was a son of Jesse B. Smith, whose birth also occurred in the Old Dominion, whence he removed with his family to Illinois about 1847, settling in Pike county. Here Jesse A. Smith on arriving at years of maturity wedded Mrs. Elizabeth Robertson, nee Montgomery. He chose farming as a life work and improved a tract of land in Hadley township, where he lived for some years, after which he removed to Pleasant Hill township. He afterward began the development of another farm, upon which he continued for several years, and reared his family there. Eventually he disposed of that property and bought the place upon which his son, George W. Smith now resides, owning there one hundred and twenty acres of rich and arable land. He continued the work of farming and further improving the property and he built to and remodeled his house. In all of his labor he was energetic and progressive and the splendid appearance of his property was indicative of his life of activity and unfaltering determination. He spent his remaining days upon the old farm homestead, here passing away in 1899, while his wife died the year previous. In the family were three children: George W., of this review; Jesse a resident farmer of Hardin township; and Margaret, who became the wife of Samuel Windmiller, but both are now deceased.
George W. Smith largely passed his youth in Pleasant Hill township, where he acquired a common-school education. He remained with his father until the latter's death and assisted in carrying on the work of the home farm. Following his father's demise he took charge of the property and business, succeeding to a part of the old homestead. On the 31st of August, 1894, he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Lord, who was born and reared in Martinsburg township, and is a daughter of Curtis Lord, one of the early settlers from Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had no children of their own but have reared the two children of a deceased sister, Anna and C. Bliss Windmiller. The latter is a student in the home school.
Politically Mr. Smith is a democrat and cast his first presidential ballot for William Jennings Bryan. He was elected and served for two terms as assessor and is recognized as an active worker in the ranks of his party, serving as a delegate to county conventions and doing all in his power to promote democratic successes. His wife is a member of the Church of Christ of Martinsburg. Mr. Smith is recognized as one of the active, prosperous and well-to-do agriculturists of Hardin township, carefully carrying on the work of the fields as well as stock-raising. His entire life has been passed in Pike county, where he is recognized as a man of good business ability, having the confidence and esteem of the community. His home is one of hospitality and good cheer and he and his estimable wife have a large circle of warm friends.
JAMES A. FARRAND
James A. Farrand, one of the organizers of the Illinois Valley Bank of Griggsville and now serving as second vice- president of that institution, was born in this city, September 16, 1854. The Farrands were descended from a French Huguenot family, whose estates were forfeited in the persecution of the sixteenth and early part of the seventeenth centuries. Some of the family, escaping from France, appear to have settled in England on the border of Wales, while others went to the north of Ireland and tradition says that the branch of the family to which our subject belongs was descended from those who became residents of the Emerald Isle. In France the name was sometimes spelled Ferrand. James A. Farrand traces his ancestry back to Nathaniel, who became a resident of Milford, Connecticut, in 1645 and comes on down the line through Nathaniel Farrand, second; Samuel Farrand, who toward the close of the seventeenth century settled in Newark, New Jersey; Ebenezer Farrand, who lived in Bloomfield, New Jersey, to Bethuel Farrand, who lived in Parsippany, Morris county, New Jersey, and who was the great-grandfather of our subject. He was enrolled among the Jersey provincials, held a lieutenant's commission and