Griggsville lodge, No 45, A. F. & A. M., and to the Royal Arch chapter at Perry and Ascalon commandery, No. 49, K. T., at Pittsfield. In politics he is a stalwart republican and has been recognized as one of the leaders of his party for many years. He has acted as supervisor of Griggsville township for seven years, has been a member of the school board for eighteen years and was the first city treasurer of Griggsville, being chosen to the office on the 15thof April, 1879. His wife is eligible to membership in the Daughters of the Revolution on the Farrand side of the family. Since Elbridge Gerry Farrand came to Griggsville at an early day the family name has figured prominently in connection with public affairs, with business progress and with the work of general improvement and advancement here and Mr. Farrand is to-day one of the prominent and influential business men and leading citizens, his capability and genuine personal worth well entitling him to the high position which he occupies in the public regard.
H. B. ANDREW, M. D.
H. B. Andrew, a successful medical practitioner of New Salem, was born in New Salem, Pike county, in 1872, and is a son of John and H. L. (Fisher) Andrew. The father was born in Lincolnshire, England, February 26, 1840, and was fourteen years of age when he crossed the Atlantic to the United States, becoming a resident of Lockport, Will county, Illinois. In December, 1855, he took up his abode in Pike county, and at New Canton received the rudiments of a good English education. In early manhood he devoted several years to farming and at the outbreak of the Civil war put aside all business and personal considerations to become a member of Company K, Ninety-ninth Illinois Infantry, commanded by Colonel Bailey, in June, 1862. The regiment soon went to the front and he participated in the battles of Port Gibson, Champion Hill and the siege of Vicksburg. He joined the army as a private but was at once made sergeant, afterward orderly and subsequent to the charge at Vicksburg, was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant and was in command of a company throughout the greater part of the siege of Vicksburg. He was mustered out in August, 1863, and following his return home engaged in the drug business in New Salem, Illinois. He has been engaged almost continuously since in merchandising in New Salem and now carries a large and well selected line of general goods and is very successful in the control and management of his business. When he arrived in New Canton, Illinois, he was a poor, uneducated youth of sixteen years of age who, desirous of acquiring broader knowledge, entered school there and eventually became a teacher of that same school. As a merchant he is widely known because of his reliability in business affairs, his enterprise and keen discrimination. He was married in October, 1863, to Miss Martha A. Temple, also of New Salem, and they had one son. The mother died about two years after her marriage and the son survived the mother's death for only two weeks. About three years later Mr. Andrew wedded Miss H. L. Fisher, also of New Salem, and to them were born six children: H. B. Andrew, of this review; Charles F., who is a graduate of the Missouri Medical College, of St. Louis, and is now a professor in the medical department of the University of Colorado and also chairman of the state commission for insane in Colorado; John, who is a graduate of Lombard College and is now in Longmont, Colorado; W. B., who is a graduate of the same school of Galesburg, Illinois, and is now in Denver, Colorado; Mary Maud, who was also graduated in Galesburg and is now engaged in teaching school; and Alice, who is at home.
H. B. Andrew pursued his early education in the schools of New Salem and afterward attended Lombard University, at Galesburg, Illinois. Subsequently he engaged in teaching school for two years, from 1890 until 1892, and then entered the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis in 1893, being graduated therefrom in 1896. He entered the active practice of his profession in Colorado, remaining for two years at Longmont, after which he came to New Salem, Illinois, where he has since remained. He has a large and gratifying practice, his business bringing to him a good