nizes his worth and ability and honors him for his adherence to a high standard of medical ethics. He belongs to the Pike County and Illinois State Medical societies and also to the National Medical Association.
On the 9th of July, 1884, was celebrated the marriage of Dr. Rainwater and Miss Sarah E. Crews, and unto them have been born four children, of whom three are now living; Pearl who was born September 30, 1885, and is engaged in teaching school; Fern, born August 4, 1893, and now a public school student; and Russell born Oct 7, 1898. The second child, Merle, born June 27, 1891, passed away on the 20th of September, 1892. Mrs. Rainwater was a daughter of Fleming H. and Elizabeth (White) Crews, both of whom were natives of Missouri, in which state they were reared and married and all of there children were born there. In latter years, however, they came to Illinois and the father's death occurred in New Canton on the 5th day of April, 1891, when he was sixty-seven years of age. He was a minister of the Christian church and exerted a strong and beneficial influence in behalf of that denomination. He removed from Missouri to Illinois in 1871, settling first in New Hartford, Pike county, and afterward living in Rockport, this county. He later took up his abode in New Canton, where his last years were passed. His widow still survives and now makes her home with Dr. and Mrs. Rainwater. In their family were four daughters and two sons, namely; Andrew, who married Miss Mary Hosford; Mary, the wife of Benjamin Gard; S.W., who wed Miss Ida Sigler; Miss Sarah Rainwater; Elizabeth, deceased; and Lucretia, the wife of Harry A. Massie.
Dr. Rainwater belongs to New Canton lodge, No, 821. A.F.&A.M. which was organized in 1892 and of which he became first master. He also belongs to the Elm camp, No. 1148 M. W. A. and both he and his wife hold membership relations with the Mutual Protective League. Mrs. Rainwater holds membership in the Christian church and the doctor contributes liberally to its support and is interested in its work. In politics he prefers principles rather than party and cast a somewhat independent ballot. Having been brought to Illinois at an early age he has resided continuously in Pike county with the exception of a brief period between 1864 and 1867, which he passed in Kentucky. He then returned to Illinois and has since lived in Pike county, where he has made a credible name in a profession where advancement depends entirely on individual merit and capability. With conscientious regard for the obligations that devolve upon him he faithfully performs his duties day after day and is now known as one of the foremost representatives of the medical fraternity here.
Ransom Kessinger is one of the venerable and honored citizens of Pike county, now residing in Pearl township, and his landed possessions, comprising over one thousand acres, indicates a life of intense and well directed activity. Now at the advanced age of eighty-two years he is living retired, enjoying the fruit of his former toil in a comfortable home. Investigation into his life history shows that his success has been worthily won and that straightforward business methods constitute the basis of his success. Moreover, he is one of the honored pioneer residents of the state, for almost his entire life has been passed within its borders, his birth having occurred upon his father's farm, in Scott county, on the 3d of September, 1823. His parents were Solomon and Catharine (Slagle) Kessinger. The mother died of smallpox upon the home farm in Scott county when her son Ransom was but three years of age, and the grandfather, Peter Kessinger, died at the same time, but his wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine Kellogg, returned to her native state of Kentucky and there died in 1838.
Solomon Kessinger continued a resident of Scott county until 1836 or 1838 and then removed to Macon county, Missouri, where he remained for about six years, engaged in farming. Returning to Illinois, he settled in Pearl township, Pike county, upon a rented farm, which he cultivated for three years, when he purchased eighty acres