of Dr. Thurmon. In 1891 he again went to Chicago, where he completed his course in pharmacy in the Chicago College of Pharmacy, from which he was graduated with the class of 1891. During his senior year in college he served as assistant to the chair of pharmacy and also spent his evenings as a clerk in a Chicago drug store, the salary received from these two positions enabling him to meet the expenses of his collegiate course. Following his graduation he returned to Pearl and continued in the drug business until 1894, hen he entered the Marion Sims Medical College at St. Louis, Missouri, where he pursued a course of lectures. He next entered the Missouri Medical College, now the department of medicine of Washington University at St. Louis, Missouri, from which he was graduated with honors in the class of 1897 with the degree of M. D. He won the first prize in chemistry, also special honors in surgery and received honorable mention for his general excellence in all the branches of medical science. Returning to Pearl he has since actively engaged in the practice of his profession and he still retains an interest in the drug store with his brother, H. D. Garrison, this being one of the best and most up-to-date drug stores of any in the smaller cities of Illinois.
Dr. Garrison's practice is not confirmed to Pearl and vicinity, but extends also to Calhoun, Scott and Greene counties as well as to Pike county, Missouri. He is continually broadening his knowledge through research and investigation and thus his efficiency is advanced, his labors proving of the utmost value to his fellowmen in checking the ravages of disease. He is local surgeon for the Chicago & Alton Railroad and has held the position for four years. While engaged actively in pharmacy he became a member of the State Pharmaceutical Association and was active in all lines of its work connected with the progress of pharmacy. He held various positions in the association up to and including that of vice president. He is now a member of the Pike county and the Illinois State Medical Societies and he keeps in touch with the most modern scientific investigation along the line of his chosen life work.
On the 1st of October, 1893, Dr. Garrison was united in marriage to Miss Laura L. French, a daughter of H. C. and Sarah (Long) French. Her father is a native of Vermont and has resided in Pike county for about forty years. He served for four years in the Union army and, being captured, was confined in Libby Prison for several months. He is now a prosperous farmer of Montezuma township. His wife was born on the farm where they yet reside. Dr. and Mrs. Garrison have four children: Frank Harold, George H., William H. and Sarah R. Fraternally Dr. Garrison is connected with the Masonic lodge and with the modern Woodmen of America. He and his wife are both devoted members of the Christian church and are actively associated with its work. He has been superintendent of the Sunday-school for the past fifteen years and has contributed in substantial measure to its upbuilding and also the extension of church influence. Like both his father and grandfather, he has been an active worker in the cause of temperance and had the honor of serving as a member of the first temperance board of the village of Pearl. He maintains a high standard of professional ethics and his position in the public regard is not the less the result of an irreproachable private life than of professional skill and ability.
NATHAN L. BARNES
Nathan L. Barnes, a retired farmer and stockraiser residing in Baylis, Illinois, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, March 15, 1833, and is a son of William and Sarah (Lawson) Barnes. The father's birth occurred in Washington county, Pennsylvania, where he followed farming, owning and operating a small tract of land. He was also a shoemaker by trade and engaged in that pursuit to some extent. He came to Pike county, Illinois, in the fall of 1854, making his way down the Ohio river and up the Mississippi to Little Cincinnati, Illinois. He brought with him his household goods and live stock, having four tons of prop-