of the same college, completing the work of the sophomore year as well. He then passed an examination and entered the junior class of the same college, but left that school in the fall of 1870, and entered upon the study of medicine in the office of Drs. Hurd and Burlingham in Galesburg, Illinois. Later he matriculated in the College of Physicians & Surgeons at St. Louis, Missouri, where he pursued a course of lectures, and in 1871 he entered the medical department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, where he remained for one term. In the fall of 1872 he became a student in the St. Louis Medical College, now the medical department of Washington University, in which he pursued a one year's course and was graduated therefrom with the degree of M. D. on the 13th of March, 1873. In the spring of the same year he began practicing in Milton, Atchison county, Missouri, where he remained for six months, when he made a trip to Texas with a view of locating there, but finding no location to his liking, he returned to Pike county and opened an office in Summer Hill, where he has since been in continuous practice for thirty-three years. He enjoys a large patronage, and his business has been of an important nature. He has always kept well informed concerning the progress of the medical fraternity, and the new ideas advanced by the profession as experience and investigation have broadened the knowledge of the members of the medical fraternity.
In his political views Dr. Schwartz is an earnest republican, having always upheld the principles of that party. He is widely and favorably known in Pike county, where he has a host of loyal friends, having become popular with all whom he has met either socially or professionally.
Hutson Martin, a retired farmer living in Rockport, was born in Danville, Vermilion county, Illinois, January 16, 1832, and is the third in a family of seven children, whose parents were William and Ceraphena (Wetherby) Martin. The father was a native of Virginia and, taking up his abode in Vermilion county, Illinois, at an early day, was there engaged in farming up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1838, his remains being interred in a cemetery near Danville. His wife was a native of the state of New York and was married in Indiana to William Matin. Subsequent to his death she became the wife of Samuel Purcell, and in 1846 they removed to Pike county, settling in Derry township, where Mr. Purcell rented a farm and carried on general agricultural pursuits. Mrs. Purcell spent her last days in Adams county, Washington, where she died in 1890, her remains being interred at near Washtucna.
Hutson Martin, whose name introduces this review, was a youth of about fourteen years when he accompanied his mother, stepfather and other members of the family to Pike county. He remained with the Purcell family for a time and later started out in life on his own account. In 1854, when twenty-two years of age, he bought a farm of sixty acres in Derry township, and at once began its improvement and development, continuing its cultivation until he had transformed it into a very valuable and productive property. As his financial resources increased he kept adding to his place until he had two hundred and eighty acres of good farming property in Derry township. As the years passed by he prospered and stored up a capital sufficient to enable him in the evening of life to enjoy a well earned rest. Their children were Matilda, Oliver, Hutson, Tarble W., Henry, Amantha and Martha. Four of the number, however, have passed away, the surviving members of the family being Hutson, Matilda and Tarble.
Mr. Martin was married to Miss Lydia Chamberlin, a daughter of Aaron and Rachael (Bryant) Chamberlin. Her father was a native of New Jersey and her mother of Ohio, their marriage being celebrated in Butler county of the latter state. They came to Pike county, Illinois, in 1835, settling in Derry township among the early residents of the locality. Mr. Chamberlin began farming and continued to follow the pursuit up to the time of his death, which occurred in May, 1850, his remains being interred