|work of the party. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity, affiliated with lodge No. 830, at Rockport, and
he likewise belongs to the Modern Woodmen camp. He is in the best sense of the term one of Pike county's self-made
men, and has early in life established a good business and won for himself a creditable position in trade circles,
so that it is safe to predict for him a still more prosperous future.
CHARLES A. CHARLTON
Charles A. Charlton, a veteran of the Civil war and an enterprising farmer living on section 1, Belleview township, Calhoun county, near the Pike county line, and who at one time made his home in Pike county, was born in Martinsburg township on the 13th of January, 1847, representing one of the pioneer families of this part of the state. He was reared to farm life, pursued his education in the early district schools; and when not occupied with his text-books gave his attention to the work of the fields. He was thus engaged until after the outbreak of the Civil war, when he enlisted for one hundred days' service as a member of Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-seven Illinois Volunteer Infantry, joining his company at Pittsfield. With his regiment he went to the front and continued there during the term of his enlistment, being mustered out and honorably discharged at Springfield, Illinois.
Following the close of the war, Mr. Charlton returned to Pike county, where he was employed at farm labor by others for a time. As a companion and helpmate on life's journey, he chose Miss Louisa J. Kirk, whom he wedded on the 15th of October, 1867. Unto them were born five children: Annie E., Nellie L., Gertie, Pearl L. and George J. Charlton. Of these Annie and George are now deceased. Following his marriage Mr. Charlton rented his father-in-law's farm, and continued the cultivation and improvement of that place for about fourteen years. He then removed to Calhoun county, Illinois, settling in Belleview township, where he has continued farming up to the present time. He has here a well developed tract of land, having brought his fields under a high state of cultivation. He used the latest improved machinery for plowing and planting his land and caring for the crops, and everything about his place indicates his careful supervision and practical methods.
On the 20th of November, 1893, Mr. Charlton was called upon to mourn the loss of his first wife. Three years later, on the 12th of April, 1896, he was married to Miss Martha Buchanan Fielder, and unto them have been born two children, Lillie S. and Orville Raymond, both of whom are at home with their parents. Mr. Charlton has ever been a stanch advocate of republican principles and votes for the party at state and national elections, but at local elections, where no issue is involved, he gives an independent ballot for the men whom he thinks best qualified for office, regardless of party affiliation. He started out in business life empty-handed, working first as a farm hand by the month, afterward renting land and eventually acquiring, through his own earnings, the money which enabled him to purchase a farm of his own. He is now in possession of a good property which returns to him a gratifying income; and his life record proves the value and force of unremitting diligence and unabating energy in the everyday affairs of life.
GEORGE B. CAREY, D. D. S.
Dr. George B. Carey, practicing his profession in Perry, his native city, was born August 31, 1856, his parents being Eleazer and Rebecca (Morris) Carey. The father was born in Arkport, Steuben county, New York, and was married on the 7th of September, 1841, in Pike county, Illinois, to Miss Rebecca Morris, whose birth occurred in Kentucky, October 26, 1826. Entering business life he first devoted his energies to teaching school in Pike county, but subsequently determining to engage in the practice of medicine and surgery, he was graduated from the old Jefferson Medical College, in Philadelphia. In 1847 he pursued a post-graduate course in surgery in the same school. He displayed broad