county, a half mile from the present home of his son, C. J. Douglas. Unto William and Pamelia (Strawn) Douglas were born twelve children, seven of whom are yet living.
C. J. Douglas was reared upon his father's farm and was educated in the country schools. He remained with his father until his marriage, when he removed to his present home near Milton. He continued actively in farming up to the time of his retirement from business life. He was married in 1874 to Miss Gabriella Hayden, a daughter of Elisha and Virginia (Sweringen) Hayden, and the good wife survives to share with him a well earned reward of labor. Unto them was born a son, Delbert, who died in infancy. They are both members of the Christian church; and they occupy a comfortable home and have a host of warm friends, for, having long resided in this locality, they are widely known, and their many good traits of character have gained them the esteem and good will of those with whom they have been associated.
John Medaris, a farmer residing on section 34, Fairmount township, was born in this county October 2, 1840, his parents being Robinson and Felicia (McLain) Medaris, both of whom were natives of Montgomery county, Kentucky. The parents are now deceased, the father having died at the age of seventy-seven years, while the mother passed away at the age of sixty-one years. In their family were five children, of whom four are now living, namely: Mrs. Mary McLaughlin, Charles, John and Mrs. Sarah Boggs. It was in the year 1811 that Robinson Medaris arrived in Pike county. Few indeed were the settlements of the white men within its borders at that period. The prairies were covered with their native grasses and the forests stood in their primeval strength. The Indians still found a hunting ground in this part of the state, while game of various kinds was to be had in abundance. He lived here during the period of the deep snow in 1830-1, an epoch memorable in the history of the county. Upon arriving here he built a log cabin and soon cleared a tract of prairie land upon which he planted his crops, and in due time gathered good harvests. His political support was given to the democracy, and he was a member of the Methodist church.
Upon the old farm homestead John Medaris was reared, no event of special importance occurring to vary the routine of farm life for him in his boyhood days. He was married November 26, 1868, to Miss Sarah Fox, who was born November 29, 1842, and was a daughter of Jacob and Sarah (Slight) Fox, both of whom were natives of Ohio, whence they came to Pike county in 1858. In their family were nine children, of whom only one is now living, Jacob Fox. The father was one of the pioneer settlers and early farmers of Pike county, and aided in the reclamation of wild land for the uses of civilization. He was a republican in his political views and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist church. His death occurred in 1861, when he was seventy-two years of age, while his wife passed away at the age of fifty-eight years. Mr. and Mrs. Medaris have become the parents of four children, all of whom are now living: Edward; Vena, the wife of Joseph Woodward, a resident of Adams county, Illinois; Daniel; and John T., who married Nora Davis.
Mr. Medaris started out upon an independent business career when twenty-one years of age, at which time he began farming for himself. Later he bought eighty acres of land, upon which he built a log house and subsequently he added to this until he owned one hundred and eighty acres. He is now the owner of one hundred and twelve acres, which he has cleared and improved, transforming it into a valuable farm. Upon this property he raises cattle, sheep and hogs. He has seventy head of Shropshire sheep, and he raises polled Angus cattle and Jersey Red hogs. He has good pastures and feed lots and ample shelter for his stock and his grain, and, in fact, upon his farm are found all modern accessories and equipment.
In 1898 Mr. Medaris was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who died on the 4th of October, of that year, and was buried in Hinman