Was born in Clinton county, New York, in 1806, and remained there until 1833, when he emigrated to Morgan county, Illinois, where he remained one year. He then moved to Pike county, Illinois, and bought the land and settled where he now resides. In 1844, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Stratton, of Pike county, Illinois. Mr. Williams is a carpenter and joiner, and built the first frame house in New Canton; but for the last twenty years he has given his attention to farming and raising stock, at which he has been very successful. In 1869, in anticipation of the building of the Quincy, Alton, and St. Louis railroad which now runs through his place, he built a good house, well adapted to the purpose of a hotel, and is now keeping a first class house. Mr. Williams is highly respected by all who knew him.