The town of Gomery is located in southern Belgium, in the province of Luxembourg and the region of Ardennes - 49° 34m 00s North and 5° 36m 00s East. The nearest large town is Virton. Gomery is the home of the Gerlache de Gomery family, the most famous member being Adrien Baron de Gerlache de Gomery (1866-1934), a Belgian naval officer who lead the first Antarctic expedition to concentrate on scientific observation from 1897 to 1899. Sailing with him as mate on the "Belgica" was Roald Amundsen, who on a subsequent expedtition of his own was the first to reach the South Pole. The "Belgica" was trapped in the pack ice of the Antarctic for 13 months and became the first vessel to winter in the Antarctic. Adrien Baron de Gerlache de Gomery assisted the English explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton in planning his Antarctic crossing of 1914 to 1917.
Currently the Chateau de Gerlache in Gomery is owned and occupied by the son of Adrien Baron de Gerlache de Gomery, Gaston de Gerlache de Gomery, who was also a Antarctic explorer. The oldest part of the castle dates from second half of the 12th century. Gilles de Gomery lived there at the end of the 14th century. It was completely rebuilt between 1601 and 1604 by Paul-Bernard of Fountain, who gave the chateau four turrets surrounding a courtyard, totally surrounded by a moat. The only entry was by drawbrisge over the moat. In 1671, the southern wing was alotted to the Mathelin family, and the northern wing to the heirs of Henri de Nisramont. In April 1761 the chateau was totally destroyed by fire and only the northern wing was rebuilt over the years. Since 1726 it has been the property of the Gerlache family.
Chateau du Baron de Gerlache de Gomery, by Robert Parmentier
The area around Gomery saw much action during the First World War. In the cemetery is the French Monument, in memory of victims who were killed on 23 August 1914. On that morning some Germans broke into the local hospital, in which were many wounded French soldiers, shouting "Es ist der Kreig des Tods!""It is the war of death! " and began indiscriminately killing wounded and hospital staff. The massacre ended with the burning of the hospital. Those who attempted to escape were shot by guards posted outside. Over one hundred people were shot that morning.
There is a neolithic dolmen dated back to 2000BC on the Rue de Gomery in the village. It consists of a large block of stone resting on four supports close to the village walls and is different from other dolmen in the area. Excavations around the dolmen yielded pieces of Champagne flint, a large knife, a fragment of polished axe, arrowheads, and shards which indicate the dolmen dates back to the Iron Age.
Gomery Hall in Scorborough, a parish in the Bainton-Beacon division of Herthill wapentake, East Riding, Yorkshire, England. It was one of the two principal residences in Scorborough.
In 1834 Gomery Farm as it was called in The Electoral Rolls of the East Riding of Yorkshire was occupied by Philip Fisher, leased for over £50 per annum. In 1857 it was occupied by William Binnington, a farmer, then in 1892 by Mrs Mary Binnington. In February 2004 J.S.R. Farms Ltd. applied to have Gomery Hall Farm, Old Road, Leconfield, Beverley HU17 7MJ as their new operating centre.
Gomery Street, Gomery Avenue and Gomery Place in Summerstrand, a coastal suburb of Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. Port Elizabeth is South Africa's fifth largest city and is located in Algoa Bay on the Indian Ocean. It was founded by British settlers in 1820.
Gömör is the name of an historic adminstrative county, or comitatus, of the Kingdom of Hungary. Its territory currently lies in southern Slovakia and northern Hungary. Today Gömör is only an informal name for this area. The towns Poltár, Ronava and the Low Tatras (Nízke Tatry) were situated in Gömör comitatus. The river Slaná flowed through the county.
Gömör was one of the oldest counties in the Kingdom of Hungary and was mentioned as far back as the 11th century. In 1918 most of the county became part of the newly formed Czechoslovakia, except for a small area around Putnok which temporarily became part of the Hungarian county Borsod-Gömör-Kishont. The Czechoslovakian part of the county was in the Slovak area. During World War 2 Czechoslovakia was temporarily split and most of the county again became part of Hungary form Gömör-Kishont county. At the end of the war most of the county was returned to Czechoslovakia. Since the split of Czechoslovakia in 1993, Gömör-Kishont is in Slovakia, part of the Koice region.
Today in Hungary the name of Gömör is only found in the small village of Gömörszölös, in the Gömöri Railway Station in Miskolc, and in the Gömöri Museum in Putnok. With the loss of Gömör county after the war, the word has almost totally disappeared from the Hungarian language. Today the Hungarian part of the county Borsod-Gömör-Kishont is known as Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén and it is in this county that the Gömöri Museum is located.
It is from this area that the surname Gömöri originates - a locative surname meaning "of Gömör". Many of the Gömöri and Gomory families emigrating to the United States through Ellis Island were from municipalities in what is today the Ronava district in the Koice and surrounding regions of Slovakia. They came from towns like Dobsina, Drnava, Ochtina, Petrovo, Rochovce, Ronava, though with mis-spellings and language differences it is very difficult to pin down the correct town referred to in the Ellis Island records.
Gömöri Railway Station
Gömöri Railway Station is the smaller of two railway stations situated in the city of Miskolc in north eastern Hungary. It was built in the late 19th century and was named after the historical Gömör county. Its' main importance was connecting the mines and metal factories of Gömör to the city of Miskolc. The building, completed in 1898, was designed by Ferenc Pfaff and was preserved by order in 1989 though is still in a very poor condition.
A 1919 postcard of Gömöri Railway Station
The Gömöri Museum in Putnok was opened in 1987 as part of the museum of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county. The idea of founding a regional museum came from a university lecturer, Zoltán Ujváry, who had been born in Gömör and researched the history of the area. The museum is housed in one of the oldest buildings in the centre of Putnok, an old customs house, dating back to the 17th century and renovated in 1910.
Gömöri Museum in Putnok
A town in the State of Maharashtra, India. Latitude 19° 58' 00s North and 80° 16' 00 East.
Gumberry is a town in Northampton County, North Carolina, USA, situated on the edge of the Gumberry Swamp, between Roanoke Rapids and Jackson, with a population of 3112 inhabitants.
Demographics of Gumberry are:-
The town of Gumery is in the Department de l'Aube, Region Champagne-Ardenne, in France, south east of Paris - 48° 27m 00s North, 3° 26m 00s East. In 1999 its' population was 216 inhabitants, several less than its' 1884 population of 300 inhabitants. Amongst the sites of Gumery is a 12th century church, Sainte Sévère, with 16th and 18th century murals.
Sainte Sévère, Gumery, France
Gummere House, 222 Wood Street, Burlington, New Jersey. Built c.1721. The Gummere brothers, John Gummere and Samuel R. Gummere, and Johns son, Samuel J. Gummere, prominent members of the Society of Friends, lived here. They were distinguished scholars who, together with Dr. John Griscom of Burlington, played an important part in the establishment of Pennsylvanias Haverford College in 1833. John Gummere was appointed superintendent of the City schools in 1834 and taught mathematics for a number of years.
The capital amd largest city of the Shirak province in north west Armenia, 13 kilometres from the Turkish border - population 211,700 (2006). The city has had several name changes - originally known as Gyumri or Kumayri (koo-miré); then Alexandrapol from 1837 until 1924; then Leninakin from 1924 after Lenins' death until 1990; when it was renamed Gyumri. Gyumri is the most important Armenian industrial town after Yerevan.
Gumri was originally a Turkish fortress. In 1804 it became part of Russia and most of its' development comes from this time. The Russian Czar Nikolai I came to Gyumri in 1837 and renamed the town Alexandrapol after his wife, Alexandra Feodorovna. In 1840 it was declared a city and became the main centre for the area. The city was renowned for its craftmen in stonemasonry, bricklaying, carpentry, blacksmithing and copper working. The stonemasons and bricklayers were famous all over the country. Most of the craftsmen belonged to guilds (hamkar), a form of organisation that remained until the beginning of the 20th century. Manufacturing was also important in the city - beer, soap and leather production, and it became a centre for trade with numerous markets and shops. During the early 20th century Gumri was the only town on the railway that connected Turkey to St Petersburg which added to its' importance as a trading centre. The old craft of rug-making is still practiced in the city.
The city was leveled in December 1988 by a strong earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings and the industrial infrastructure. Part of the historic Kumayri district in the central city survived where 18th and 19th century buildings can still be seen.
The Akhourian River runs through the city. The landscape around Gyumri (altitude 1500m) is a high volcanic plateau surrounded by mountains, covered with lakes and rivers and with many hot springs. The flora is prairie like, with forests of mainly acacia, maple, and ash growing in the valleys. The climate is generally arid with severe winters, where temperatures may drop to -41°C, and hot summers with temperatures up to 36°C.
If you know of other places I have missed please email me .