No Gowens were listed in the 1790 census of Maryland, how-ever a James Gowen of Newgate, England was sentenced for “transportation to America” in the early part of 1728. He boarded the ship Patapscoe on March 17, 1728 and landed in Maryland.
John Goane was "transported to Maryland in 1697," according to "Early Settlers of Maryland" by Gust Skordas.
Ann Goeing, wife of Esau Goeing, arrived in Maryland in 1672, according to "Early Settlers of Maryland."
Thomas Going arrived in Maryland in 1671, according to "Early Settlers of Maryland." W. Mac. Jones, editor of "The Douglas Register" described the volume as "Being a detailed record of Births, Marriages and Deaths together with other interesting notes, as kept by the Rev. William Douglas from 1750 to 1797. An Index of Goochland Wills, Notes on the French-Huguenot Refugees who lived in Manakin-Town." Thomas Going was indentured for "3-5 years to a man by the name of O'Brien," according to the research of William H. Goin, III of Southgate, Michigan.
John Gowan was listed in in Biays’ 5th Regiment of Calvary in the Maryland Militia, according to the War of 1812 military roster.
Nicholas Gowan was listed in Ragan’s 1st Regiment of the Maryland Militia, according to the War of 1812 Military records.
George Gowen was listed in Harris’ 1st Regiment of Artillery in the Maryland Militia, according to the War of 1812 military roster.
James M. Gowen was enlisted in the Union Army in Maryland as a private July 5, 1864, according to “American Civil War Soldiers.”
Thomas Gowan, 27, white, born in Wales, was enumerated in the 1870 census of Allegany County living in the vicinity of Frostburg, Maryland.
Henry Gowan was enumerated as the head of a household in the 1870 census of Anne Arundel County:
“Gowan, Henry 51, white, born in MD
Caroline 46, white, born in MD
John 18, white, born in MD
Phillip 10, white, born in MD
Nelson 7, white, born in MD”
Kate Gowan, white, age three, was recorded in the 1870 census of Anne Arundel County.
Jacob Gowans was enumerated as the head of a Black household in the 1870 census of Anne Arundel County:
“Gowans, Jacob 33, black, born in MD
Elizabeth 30, black, born in MD
Harriett 14, black, born in MD
Margaret 3, black, born in MD
Gowans, John 19, black, born in MD”
The ship "Gowen" under the command of Captain Edward Burt lay at anchor in the South river March 1, 1721-22 in Anne Ar-undel County. Aboard was a consignment of tobacco to Wil-liam Lovell for which he paid a freight rate of £7 per ton.
John Gowen, son of Edward Gowen and Henrietta Gowen, was baptized August 8, 1790 in St. James Parish of Anne Arundel County.
Baltimore County was formed by 1659.
In Baltimore County before about 1820, two terms were used to refer to an area of land. One of the terms is “Hundreds,” and the other is “Parishes.”
“Hundred” was an area that contained 100 families or an area that was large enough to raise an army of 100 men. There were three hundreds in Baltimore county, the Patapsco Hundred which ran from the south side of the Patapsco River to the north. St Paul's Parish was located in the Patapsco Hundred.
William Goaine was recorded in 1699 living “on the north side of the Patapsco River,” in Patapsco Hundred, according to the parish tax list.
John Goins was shown as a taxpayer in the Baltimore County Assessment Book of 1800, page 75.
Robert Goins, a resident of Baltimore in 1880, was recorded in Enumeration District 140, page 27, Eutaw District as:
"Goings, Robert 56, born in Maryland
Amelia 42, born in District of Columbia
Carolina 30, born in Maryland"
Andrew Gone was enumerated in the 1820 census of Baltimore County, Second Ward, page 65 as the head of a household.
The will of John Gowan was recorded in Baltimore County Will Book 15 [1834-1836].
John Gowan, 30, white, native of Scotland, was enumerated in the 1870 census of Baltimore City.
Rosanna Gowen, a negress, living in Lehman Alley in Baltimore, in 1880 was listed as "five years old, born in Maryland, the step-daughter of John Murray" in Enumeration District 188, page 23.
William Gowens, a mulatto, lived at 91 Sarah Ann Street, Baltimore in 1880, Enumeration District 116, page 14:
"Gowens, William 43, born in Maryland
Mary 32, born in Maryland
William 15, born in Maryland
Lucien 4, born in Maryland
Elizabeth 1, born in Maryland"
John Gowings was the only individual of interest to Gowen chroniclers who appeared in the 1800 census of Baltimore City County.
William Goyne was listed in October 1699 "in the inventory of Capt. John Ferry with three years yet to serve," according to "Baltimore County, Maryland Families" by Robert William Barnes.
James Gowans Rennie was born in Baltimore in 1897, accord-ing to “Maryland Men in the World War, 1917-1919.” He was enlisted as a gunners mate, 3rd class June 4, 1917 in the U.S. Navy. He was promoted to gunners mate, 2nd class Oc-tober 20, 1917 and to chief gunners mate December 20, 1917. He served aboard the USS Pennsylvania and at the Naval Tor-pedo Station at Newport, Rhode Island. He was honorably dis-charged October 10, 1919.
No Gowens, [or spelling variations] were listed in "Calvert County, Maryland Wills, 1654-1700," written by Raymond B. Clark, Jr.
No Gowen, [or spelling variations], were listed in "Caroline County Marriage Licences, 1774-1825" by Raymond B Clark, Jr.
Clement Gowen Jones was born September 5, 1811 in Caroline County. He was married March 17, 1836 in Warren County, Indiana to Frances Cameron who was born April 3, 1819 to William Cameron and Sarah “Sallie” Warbritton Cameron.
Children born to them include:
Eleanor Jones born about 1838
Sarah Emeline Jones born about 1842
Alfred C. Gowen delivered the annual commencement address of Calvert College, New Windsor, Maryland, September 18, 1851, according to National Union Catalogue. The address was printed as a 28-page book published in Baltimore in 1851.
Robert E. Gowen was born about 1857 in Pennsylvania, county and parents unknown. He was enumerated in the 1870 census of Carroll County at age 13, living in the New Windsor area.
No member of the Gowen family [or spelling variations], were listed in "Cecil County, Maryland Marriage Licenses, 1777-1840."
Josephine McGowan, age 20, who was “burned to death” was buried in St. Patricks Roman Catholic Church Cemetery April 6, 1885 at Fells Point in Baltimore, according to the church’s burial record.
Eleoner Going was married to Jonathan Long November 10, 1782 in Charles County, according to Charles County mar-riage records.
DORCHESTER COUNTY, MARYLAND
Jacob Goin was enumerated in 1790 in Dorchester County as the head of a household of eight people [00000-00000-8]. This suggests that he and his family were Negro slaves.
John Gwinn was enumerated in the 1800 census of Frederick County, page 182. His family was recorded as “20010-20010-03.”
A second John Gwinn was enumerated in the 1800 census of Frederick County, page 195. His family was recorded as: “01001-00100-00
John Gawn was the head of a household in the 1800 census of Frederick County, page 203. The family was recorded as “00110-10010-10.”
Harriet Goings was married to Owen Buckingham April 3, 1824, according to "Marriage Licenses of Frederick County, Maryland, 1811-1840." Harriet Goings and Owen Bucking-ham, "Negroes," were remarried August 11, 1830.
James Goings and Sophia Brown, "colored," were married June 8, 1840, according to "Marriage Licenses of Frederick County, Maryland, 1811-1840." Children born to James Go-ings and Sophia Brown Goings are unknown.
William Goings and Susan Brown, "Negroes," were married January 29, 1832, according to "Marriage Licenses of Fred-erick County, Maryland, 1811-1840." Children born to Wil-liam Goings and Susan Brown Goings are unknown.
Thomas Brown and wife Martha Brown were residents of Frederick City, Maryland. They were recorded as “free colored” in the 1860 census.
Jane Goings, age 40, was enumerated in the 1860 census of Free Inhabitants of Frederick County, living in the household of John Brown [black] in Frederick City, Household No. 1006:
“Goings, Jane 40, mulatto
John A. 8, mulatto
James A. 6, mulatto”
John A. Goings, son of Jane Going, was born about 1852. He was enumerated in the 1860 census of Frederick County at age 8. Of him nothing more is known.
James A. Goings, son of Jane Goings, was born in Maryland about 1854. He appeared in the 1860 census of Frederick County as a six-year-old.
Judy Collins Scott, who regards James A. Goings as her great-grandfather, wrote December 8, 2000 that he was married about 1885 to Mary Brandon of Tennessee. "Jim Goins and Mary Brandon Goins" were residents of New Madrid County, in 1887 when a son was born.
They were enumerated in the 1900 census of Pemiscot County, Missouri, Hayti township:
"Goins, James 46, born in May 1854 in MD, father
born in Ireland, mother born in
Ireland, white, farmer, illiterate,
owns home, no mortgage
Mary 43, born in March 1859 in TN,
father born in TN, mother born in
TN, married for 15 years, mother
of 8, 4 living, illiterate
Myarkle 11, son, born June 1888 in MO,
father born in MD, mother born
Louela 10, born in December 1889 in MO,
father born in MD, mother born
James Goins and Mary Brandon Goins did not reappear in the 1910 census of Missouri.
Children born to them include:
John Markel Goyins born June 19, 1888
Louella Goyins born in December 1889
John Markel Goyins, son of James Goings and Mary Brandon Goings, was born June 19, 1886, according to his Social Security application submitted September 5, 1952.
He was enumerated in the 1900 census of Pemiscot County as an 11-year-old, living at Hayti, Missouri. It was reported that he could read and write.
He appeared in the 1910 census of New Madrid County as a boarder in a Porter household. He was recorded as "Mercle Goins, age 22, single, born in MO, father born in MD, mother born in TN, literate.”
John Markel Goyins was married in New Madrid in 1911 to Lucy Shaver who was born in Kentucky in October 1896.
In 1952 he was employed by National Alfalfa Dehydration and Manufacturing Company in East Prairie, Missouri in New Madrid County.
It is reported that John Markel Goyins changed the spelling of his surname.
They had 22 children including two sets of twins, according to Judy Collins Scott, a descendant of La Jolla, California. The children were schooled in the East Prairie area. John Markel Goyins died in July 1978.
Fourteen children survived until adulthood. Included were:
[Infant, twin] born in 1913
[Infant, twin] born in 1913
Howard Goyins born in 1915
Katherine Goyins born May 3, 1916
Ruby Goyins born April 16, 1918
Helen Goyins born December 2, 1919
Geneieve Goyins born January 31, 1921
Georgia Goyins February 22, 1923
Junior Allen Goyins born June 22, 1924
Herman Goyins born in 1926
Laverne Louise Goyins born November 3, 1927
Rowena Ruth Goyins born April 27, 1929
Geneva Lucille Goyins born October 9, 1930
Winfred Earl Goyins born in September 1931
Virginia Goyins born in September 1933
James Richard Goyins born March 9, 1935
Nina Marie Goyins born July 25, 1936
[Infant] born in 1937
[Infant] born IN 1938
[Infant] born in 1939
Twins were born to John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins in 1913. They died at birth.
Howard Goyins, son of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born in 1915. He was deceased in 1999.
Katherine Goyins, daughter of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born May 3, 1916. She was deceased in June 1999.
Ruby Goyins, daughter of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born April 16, 1918.
Helen Goyins, daughter son of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born December 2, 1919.
Genevieve Goyins, daughter of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born January 31, 1921. She was deceased in June 1999.
Georgia Goyins, daughter of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born February 22, 1923.
Junior Allen Goyins, son of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born about 1920 in New Madrid County. "J. A. Goyins, assistant manager of Fischers Fleet Service and his wife Bernice Goyins lived at 4956 Delor," according to the 1966 city directory of St. Louis. Junior Allen Goyins was deceased in June 1999.
Herman Goyins, son of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born in 1926.
Laverne Louise Goyins, daughter of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born in November 1927. She was deceased by June 1999.
Rowena Ruth Goyins, daughter of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born April 27, 1929.
Geneva Lucille Goyins, daughter of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born October 9, 1930.
Winfred Earl Goyins, son of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born in September 1931. He died March 9, 1935.
Virginia Goyins, daughter of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born in September 1933. She was deceased by June 1999.
James Richard Goyins, son of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born March 9, 1935.
Nina Marie Goyins, daughter of John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins, was born July 25, 1936. She was deceased by June 1999.
Three other children, names unknown, were born to John Markel Goyins and Lucy Shaver Goyins in 1937, 1938 and 1939. Each died at birth.
Louella Goings, daughter of James A. Goings and Mary Bran-don Goins, was born in December 1889 in New Madrid Coun-ty. She was enumerated in the 1900 census of Pemiscot Coun-ty as a 10-year-old. She was married about 1915, husband's name Adcock, according to Judy Collins Scott.
Mack Roy Goins was born June 28, 1932 and died June 5, 1951, at age 18, according to records of the 306th Air Force Squadron in Frederick County.
Margaret Goins was married January 2, 1821 to James Wood, according to "Marriage Licenses of Frederick County, Maryland, 1811-1840."
Pheesy Goins was married to Daniel Haller November 13, 1821, according to "Marriage Licenses of Frederick County, Maryland, 1811-1840."
Sarah Ann Goins and Lloyd Goodwin, "colored," were married August 16, 1832, according to "Marriage Licenses of Fred-erick County, Maryland, 1811-1840."
Allace Gowen, six-year-old adopted daughter of Ringgold Grinder was enumerated in the 1880 census of Frederick County, Maryland, Enumeration District 75, page 8, sub-district five.
George Gowens was married October 24, 1815 to Susanna Patterson, according to "Marriage Licenses of Frederick County, Maryland, 1811-1840." Children born to George Gowens and Susanna Patterson Gowens are unknown.
James Goinz was the only individual of interest to Gowen chroniclers who appeared in the 1790 census of Maryland. His household was in Harford County listed as:
Goinz, James white male over 16
white male over 16
white male under 16
white male under 16
James Goinz owned no slaves.
It is believed that James Goinz removed to Mississippi be-tween 1810 and 1820, perhaps in the company of the family of Moses Foster, Sr. and Catherine Guyton Foster. The Fosters settled in Jefferson County, Mississippi and spread into Co-piah County, Mississippi.
No Gowens, [or spelling variations] were mentioned in "Kent County, Maryland Marriage Licenses, 1796-1850" com-piled by Raymond B. Clark, Jr.
George Gain was enumerated as the head of a Kent County family, page 238 as “00000-00000-8.” The enumeration suggests they were a slave family.
Bradford Paul Gowen, 5002 Battery Lane, Bethesda, Maryland wrote to Emmett Gowen January 2, 1969 requesting information about the Gowen family history.
G. Howard Gowen lived at 5531 Devon Road, Bethesda, Maryland according to the 1960 telephone directory of Washington, D. C. Dr. G. Howard Gowen, Gaithersburg, Maryland, was listed in the 1969 "American Medical Directory."
No Gowens, [or spelling variations] were listed in "Queen Anne's County, Maryland Marriage Licenses, 1817-1858" written by Raymond B. Clark, Jr.
Mary A. Gowan, “white, 20, single, of Queen Anne’s County” was married to George H. Sparks, “26, white,single, farmer of Queen Anne’s County” by William K. Marshall, minister “at J. C. Steven’s” January 2, 1883.
St. Mary’s County was the site of the Civil War prison camp, Point Lookout. Several Confederate soldiers of interest to Foundation researchers were interned there:
Col. Robert Liles who married into the Gowen had enlisted at age 19 April 20, 1861 as a private in Company K, Sixteenth North Carolina Infantry Regiment, according to "North Carolina Troops, 1861-65." He was captured at North Anna River, Virginia May 23, 1864 and was confined at Point Lookout, Maryland until paroled and transferred to Boulware's Wharf, James River, Virginia where he was received March 16, 1865 for exchange.
Pvt. Nelson Gowen, Company F, Second North Carolina Infantry Battalion, CSA of Guilford County enlisted in Randolph County, North Carolina November 26, 1861 for 12 months.
He was captured near Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia May 12, 1864 and confined at Point Lookout. He was transferred to Elmira, New York Federal Prison August 12, 1864. He was released at Elmira after taking the oath of allegiance May 19, 1865.
Pvt. Henry F. Gowan of Columbus County enlisted in Confederate service prior to March 26, 1864 and served in Company K, Thirty-sixth North Carolina Infantry Regiment and in the Second North Carolina Artillery Regiment. He was captured at Ft. Fisher January 15, 1865 and was confined in Federal prison at Point Lookout, Maryland. He took the oath of allegiance to the Union June 27, 1865 and was released.
Pvt. Enoch Goings of Company G, 22nd Virginia Cavalry Regiment was captured and confined at Point Lookout.
Of the camp Wayne McFarland wrote:
“Point Lookout Prisoner of War Camp was established after the Battle of Gettysburg to incarcerate Confederate prisoners. It was in operation from August 1863 through June 1865. Being only five feet above sea lev-el, it was located on approximately 30 acres of leveled land at the southern tip of Maryland, in St. Mary's County, and surrounded by water on three sides by the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River. It was the largest Union prison camp for Confederates.
Before the war, Point Lookout was a fashionable resort hotel and a summer bathing place with over a hundred cottages where the elite spent their leisure time. In 1862, with erection of additional buildings, it became a military hospital for the care of union soldiers, an im-prisonment for Maryland citizens who were Southern sympathizers, as well as a supply depot for the Army of the Potomac. In August 1863, the large building with outbuildings arranged in spoke fashion (Hammond Hos-pital), became the care center for wounded/sick Con-federate prisoners as well as for union men.
During the two year span of operation, Point Lookout saw approx. 52,000 POWs pass through her gates. These were military and civilian, men, women, and children. It's also inter-esting to note that the youngest POW at Point Lookout was Baby Perkins. He was born there. His mother was captured at the Battle of Spot-sylvania with her artillery unit.
Prison conditions were deplorable. Rations were below mini-mal, causing scurvy and malnutrition. Prisoners ate rats and raw fish. It's recorded that one hungry Reb-el devoured a raw seagull that had been washed ashore. Soap skim and trash peelings were often eaten when found. Lice, disease, and chronic diarrhea often resulted in an infectious death. Prisoners were deprived of ade-quate clothing, and often had no shoes in winter or, only one blanket among 16 or more housed in old, worn, torn, discarded union sibley tents. Even the Point's wea-ther played havoc with the prisoners. Because of it's lo-cation, it's extremely cold with icy wind in the winter and a smoldering sun reflecting off the barren sand in summer was blinding. High water often flooded the tents in the camp area. The undrained marshes bred mosquitoes. Malaria, typhoid fever and smallpox was common. The brackish water supply was contaminated by unsanitary camp conditions. There was a deadline about 10' from the approximate 14' wooden parapet wall. Anyone caught crossing this line, even to peek through the fence, was shot. Prisoners were also ran-domly shot during the night as they slept, or if they called out from pain.
Mjr. Brady was the Provost Marshall and Maj. Gen. Benjamin “Beast” Butler would review the prison camp. Many times he galloped through the crowd of men, hit-ting them as he sped by. The sixty gun USS Minnesota was within a short distance from the shore to guard the prisoners.”
Although it is estimated that over 14,000 prisoners died at Pt. Lookout, at present only a near 3,384 are ac-counted for as buried in the Point Lookout cemetery. Their graves have been moved twice since the original burial. They now rest in a mass grave under an 85' tow-ering obelisk monument erected by the federal govern-ment. This was the first monument to Confederate sol-diers! Huge bronze tablets circling this monument de-pict names of those so far recorded. Also in this well kept cemetery is a smaller 25' monument erected by the state of Maryland to the memory of the prisoners.”
Joseph Gowen was a witness to the will of Elias Taylor December 29, 1725 in Somerset County, according to Somerset County Probate Volume 18, page 506. This information was published in "Maryland Calendar of Wills" Volume 5, page 226, by James Baldwin.
Eleanor Brundick wrote on October 8, 2002:
“I am trying to solve the mystery of the Gowan connec-tion to my ancestors, Thomas Wright and Rebecca Har-ris, who lived in Somerset Co. Maryland and were mar-ried before 1747. They named one son Gowan Wright. They named a daughter Mary Wright, b. 1747, and she named one of her sons Thomas Patrick Gowan White and another son Gowan White. Gowan Wright's daugh-ter Anne Wright married her first cousin Thomas Patrick Gowan White and they passed the name on.”
Thomas Wright wrote his will February 8, 1753, and it was probated February 27, 1753. In it, Gowan Wright was to receive 200 acres.
Gowan Wright was the father of Elizabeth Wright who was married to Curtis Morris, according to Sue Renkert of Fair-banks, Alaska, a descendant.
No Gowens, [or spelling variations] were listed in "Talbot County Marriage Licenses, 1657-1691, 1738-1751, 1794-1824, 1825-1850" by Raymond B. Clark, Jr. and Sara Seth Clark.
Solomon Gown was enumerated in the Talbot County census of 1800, page 71. The household was recorded as: “30010-10200-00.”
Esther Gone was enumerated as the head of a Worcester County household, page 205. Her household was recorded as: “00200-11001-04 .”