Guide to the Ghost Towns, Mining Camps,
and Other Formerly Inhabited Places in
Locations beginning with W
A “phonetically spelled” version of Guadalupe.
This 1850s era placer gold mining camp was
located on the north side of the
This c1850 placer gold mining camp was
located on the
...SEE Jenny Lind Mine
...SEE Hornitos for a listing of the mines in that area.
Located in the Saxton Creek area of the Whitlock Mining District (see below). Actual location not determined.
Built in the 1870s, this resort hotel and
stage station on the road to
…SEE Way Stations (below)
for a listing of the various way stations in
Throughout the gold country there were
numerous roadhouses, inns/lodges, stage stations, railroad stations and other
“Way Stations” to allow a traveler a place to stay, eat a meal and spend the
night. Listed below are some that were
· SAVAGE’S TRADING POST (#1)
· SAVAGE’S TRADING POST (#2)
SNOW CREEK RANCH …SEE
· WAWONA …SEE above
· WEBB STATION …SEE below
· WHITE & HATCH’S STAGE STATION …SEE below
This old way station (see
above) is located west of
This old mine was located in the Clearinghouse Mining District. Actual location not determined.
(My term until I find the actual name of the mining district -- GBS)
In the southwestern part of the county, west of West Westfall Road, between Mariposa Creek and Preston Road, a group of copper mines were active from the 1860s-1880s. Some of these mines include:
· WHITE ROCK MINE #1 … SEE below
This 1850s era gold mining camp was located in Sherlock Gulch, two miles north of Whitlock, in the Whitlock Mining District (see below).
WHITE & COMPANY SAWMILL
WHITE & HATCH’s SAWMILL
This 1862 era sawmill was located about a quarter mile from the White & Hatch Stage Station, which was near DeLong Creek and SH 49, 1.1 miles east of the Chowchilla River crossing between Usona and Elliot Corner. An active dispute over ownership of nearby land between them and neighbor Charles DeLONG resulted in the mill being seriously damaged by a harrow tooth driven into a tree, which ended up wrecked one of their saw blades.
WHITE & HATCH’S STAGE STATION
This 1859-60s era stage
station/stopping point was located about a quarter mile from the White &
Hatch Sawmill and Delong’s Station, which was along DeLong
Creek and SH 49, 1.1 miles east of the
…SEE Way Stations
(above) for a listing of the various way stations in
WHITE PORPHYRY GROUP
This is a group of 1870s-era gold mines located in the Cat Town Mining District. Actual location not determined.
WHITE ROCK MINE (#1)
This copper mine was located in the West Westfall Copper Mines area (see above), 0.6 AIR miles west of White Rock Road, at a point 2.4 AIR miles southwest of the junction of White Rock/West Westfall roads, and 7.2 AIR miles south of Cathey’s Valley.
WHITE ROCK MINE (#2)
In the Granite Springs Mining District, which is located in the upper northwest corner of the county, straddling the Tuolumne County line, north of Lake McClure. Most of the gold mines in the district closed down by the 1930s. Actual location of the mine is not determined.
AKA – Farmer’s Hope, Whitlock Creek, Whitlock Gulch
This 1850s-early 1900s placer and hard rock mining town was located in Whitlock Gulch, 3.5 miles northwest of Mariposa. The camp had a post office from Mar 15, 1899-Oct 31, 1910. In 1858 there were three stamp mill complexes with a total of 20 stamps operating. In 1863 a 12-stamp mill was built. It was in the heart of the Whitlock Mining District (see below).
...SEE Whitlock (above)
…SEE Whitlock Mines (below)
...SEE Whitlock (above)
AKA – WHITLOCK Group
This hard rock gold mine group was consolidated from the Whitlock and Alabama Mines. It was located east of the Whitlock Creek road, 3.5 AIR miles northwest of Mariposa. It was part of the Whitlock Mining District (see below). They yielded $500,000 in gold.
WHITLOCK MINING DISTRICT
Located in the Sherlock Creek-Whitlock Creek area, centered in a large area about five miles north of Mariposa and west of SH 140, there were a large number of productive gold mines located here. Placer mining occurred here from 1849-early 1850s, followed by hard rock mining from the mid 1850s-1870s. There was also a lot of activity in the 1930s-1942. Several mines were active into the 1960s.
For details on the below listed mines, follow the links to the appropriate alphabetic listing pages.
· BUFFALO MINE (#2)
· CHAMPION MINE (#2)
· KID SAXON MINE ...SEE Schroeder Mine
· KING & HARBOR’S SAWMILL (#1)
· KING SAXON MINE ...SEE Schroeder Mine
· KING SOLOMON MINE (#1)
· QUEEN SAXON MINE ...SEE Schroeder Mine
· REX MINE ...SEE Schroeder Mine
· WHISKEY FLAT …SEE above
· WHITLOCK GROUP …SEE Whitlock Mine (above)
· WHITLOCK MINE …SEE above
· WORK YOUR OWN DIGGINGS MINE …SEE WYOD (below)
· WYOD MINE
This one-room school was located 1.6 miles northwest
of the junction of Sherlock/Whitlock roads, near the junction of
One of a dozen or so gold mines located at Hite’s Cove. Actual location not determined.
Listed in CHAMBERLAIN’s The
Call of Gold as one of the unique place names in the Coulterville-Yosemite
Road region. No
location is given. I assume it would be
somewhere between Coulterville and
Location not determined.
WORK YOUR OWN DIGGINGS MINE.
…SEE WYOD Mine
Russell & Dan WORMAN built a sawmill at an undisclosed location in 1919.
AKA – Work Your Own Diggings Mine
One of several dozen mines located in the Sherlock-Whitlock area in the Whitlock Mining District (see above). Actual location not determined..
* * *
Return to the GTs of Mariposa Co., CA Index Page
Detailed information on individual locations:
Ghost Town USA’s Ghost Towns of California
Also visit: Ghost Town
A few LINKS to outside webpages:
First Posted: December 10, 2001
website and all information posted here-in is
copyright © 1998-2015
by Gary B Speck Publications
ALL rights reserved