Hague, Warren Co., New York
As described in the 1860 NYS Gazetter
Date Last Updated: 02/01/2007
From the Historical and Statistical Gazetteer of New York State, [By J. H. French, LL.D.,] H. P. Smith, Publisher, 8 Sth. Salina Street, Syracuse. 1860.
HAGUE – was formed from Bolton, Feb 28, 1807, as “Rochester”. Its name was changed April 6, 1808, and a part of Horicon was taken off in 1838. It lies upon the shore of Lake George, in the N. E. corner of the co. The surface is very mountainous, not above one-fourth being susceptible of cultivation. The mountains along the lake generally descend abruptly to the very edge of the water. The narrow valleys of the Trout and North West Bay Brooks form the line of separation between the two mountain ranges. Ash Grove Hill, upon the w. border, is 2,000 to 2,500 feet above tide; and upon the shore of the lake, in the N. E. corner, is another mountain peak of nearly the same elevation. Rogers Rock is on the lake shore, in the N. E. corner. It rises from the water’s edge at an angle of about 45° and attains an elevation of 300 feet.4 Sabbath-Day Point is a headland projecting into the lake near the s. border.5 The soil is a light, sandy loam. Iron ore has been found near Seventh Pond; and mines have been worked to some extent, but they are now abandoned. The beauty of the lake and the solitary grandeur of the mountain scenery of this town render it a favorite resort for hunting and fishing parties and the lovers of the beautiful in nature.6 Hague, (p.o.) on McDonald’s Bay and Wardboro (p.o.) are hamlets. The principal improvements are along the lake. The first settlement was made about 1796.7 There is a union church in the town.
4 This rock, sometimes called Rogers Slide, receives its name from an incident traditionally related of the escape of Maj. Robert Rogers at this place in the winter of 1758. He was surprised at the top of the rock by a band of Indians and most of his party were cut off, but he escaped by sliding down the rock to the frozen surface of the Lake.
5 It is generally supposed that this name was derived from the fact that Gen. Amhurst and his suite, while passing down this lake on their way to Ticonderoga in the summer of 1759, stopped here to refresh themselves on the Sabbath; but this definition of the name is doubtful, for it is mentioned in Rodgers Journal, June 28, 1758, - the season before.
6 On the 29th of July 1856, the steamer John Jay, while on her way up the lake, was burned near Garfields. Six persons jumped overboard and were drowned; but the rest were rescued by boats from the shore.
7 Among the first settlers were Abel Rising, Abner Briggs, Elijah Bailey, Samuel Cook, Elijah Denton, Samuel Patchin, John Holman, Isaac and Uriah Balcom, and Uri Waiste..
Transcribed by Bruce De Larm
©2007, Bruce De Larm. These records are protected by copyright laws
and may not be copied or reproduced without permission.