The Churches of Hague

Hague, Warren Co., NY

The Churches of Hague

Date Last Updated: 06/27/2007

The first church erected in the town of Hague may have been the Union Church located near the Hague Cemetery. Today, there are five churches in the town of Hague: Church of the Blessed Sacrament, Grace Memorial Chapel, Hague Baptist Church, Hague Wesleyan Church, and Hughes Memorial Chapel.

The earliest mention of religion in Hague comes from Ticonderoga Methodism 1811 - 1936, A Souvenir of Ticonderoga Methodism..., Committee: Arthur Carr, Emma Ferguson, Frank Carr, Minister: Rev. Daniel T. Hill. The book contains an "exact transcription of the record from which we date our Ticonderoga Methodism". The document starts with:

Minuits of a quarterly Meting Conference

Holden at Hague November No. 2 & 3, 1811

Contrabutions & Leaders Names....

Mrs. Hoyt Johnson describes the first churches of Hague in her series of articles Early Incidents of Hague published by the Ticonderoga Sentinel in the summer of 1982:

The first religious society was a Presbyterian church organized in 1819 with a membership of nine or ten members, but no minister in town. The material of which it was formed was not such as to ensure permanency. One of its members was installed as deacon, if he did not honor his calling he was quite sure he was honored and often boasted of the dignity conferred upon him. One day, on entering the hotel, he found a man from his native town stopping there. After first greetings, he said, "what will the people of W. say when you tell them I am Deacon?" "That Hague is mighty short of timber," came the response. The reply was a byword for years.

She later states that religious services were held in private homes and school houses. She go on to say:

The Methodists were the first to occupy the ground. The itinerant method was well sustained, and a large congregation sustained these efforts of evangelization. A flourishing church existed for a long period, but feuds divided it somewhat, but it has always had an existence. The first permanent Baptist minister, the Rev. John Parker, preached in the school house near the present Baptist church. He was well liked and people came from all parts of the town, even from Northwest bay to near him. Quite a flourishing church grew out of his labor. Some years after, Elder Grant of revival fame, came to town and held a ten days' meeting in a barn, just west of Mr. Burgess' store. Many conversions followed, and the Baptist and Methodist churches were strengthened by the addition of new members. The first church edifice built was what is now the Baptist church. Alvah Bevins was the first one to suggest the idea. He was interested in the lumber business, and made a proposition which met with favor, and the people of all shades of belief contributed for its erection. It was the people's church, not a denomination one and was free to all. The second pastor of the Baptist church was the Rev. Mr. Garfield, who staid one year. The church was not sufficiently cultured to suit his taste. The next was Rev. Mr. Webber. He did not suit the people. Others have come and gone, but the old church which was founded on Christ's teachings still stands. Pastors may come and go—God remains.

An article "Wardboro Memories and Old Cellar Holes" describes religion in the hamlet of Wardsboro:

The 1830's marked great activity of Church of the Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ (Mormons) missionaries in the valley with the consequent migration, many eventually  reaching Salt Lake City and becoming active workers in their new-found church. Tradition has it that one day 60 persons from the valley baptized into the new faith in the brook not far from the site of the Civilian Conservation Corps camp of the 1930's. About this time and active Baptist organization flourished in Wardboro.


This excerpt from the1930 Survey Map of the Hague Cemetery shows the location of the Hague Union Church at the intersection of what is now Graphite Road (State Route 8) and New Hague Road:


The Union Church is the only church shown on the map of Hague in the 1876 County Atlas of  Warren, New York. The Wesleyan Methodist publication "One Hundred Years for Christ 1842-1942" celebrating the Champlain Conference Centennial has this to say about Hague's Union Church:

"... An old History of Warren County States: There was a union church in 1860 which was probably erected in 1835 or soon after. The pastor was a Wesleyan Methodist Clergyman by the name of Leard. During the years that services were held in the Union Church the ministry of Rev. Richard De Larm was very fruitful. The town experienced a great Revival, and many still tell about those days when God's power and blessing fell on the church. The old Union Church remained the only church in the village until 1879, when a division took place and the Wesleyan Methodists erected a separate building. The old church was without a pastor, the last one being a Free Will Baptist named Lister."

Note: The old History of Warren County is the book: History of Warren County, with illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominent Man and Pioneers. Edited by H. P. Smith. D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY. 1885. See Chapter XXXI: History of the Town of Hague.


The Hague Wesleyan Methodist Church:

(From Mike De Larm's collection of postcards from the early 1900s.)

The Wesleyan church was built in 1879. Henry Doolittle furnished the timbers. Logs were gotten out of the woods, hauled to Nathan Yaw1s sawmill and made into flooring, clapboards and sheating material. All timbers were hand hewn. The shingles were sawed at the Joseph Richmond Mill which was located on the brookside near the old town sheds. The Wesleyan Church was built by donated labor under the supervision of Edward Davis, who was a carpenter by trade. There was a building committee of five. (From The History of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Of Hague, New York by Mildred Ross, 1974.)


The Grace Memorial Chapel at Sabbath Day Point:

(From Mike De Larm's collection of postcards from the early 1900s.)

Grace Memorial Chapel at Sabbath Day Point was organized as a nondenominational place of worship on August 11, 1884. In 1984 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its age, its beauty and the fact that it represented an early work of William B. Tuttle, the designer of Carnegie Hall and was an early example of precut framing. The bell in the Chapel tower was cast in 1884 in Troy, New York, and is one of five unusually fine historic Meneely bells found in the Town of Hague. (From the Hague on Lake George CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.)


The Hague Baptist Church:

(From Mike De Larm's collection of postcards from the early 1900s.)


The Hague Baptist Church was founded in 1912. (From the Hague on Lake George CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.)


Church of The Blessed Sacrament :

(From Mike De Larm's collection of postcards from the early 1900s.)


Blessed Sacrament Parish, a year round community, was established in 1922 through the efforts of Catholic residents of Hague, Graphite and Ticonderoga. (From the Hague on Lake George CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.)


The Hughes Memorial Chapel at Silver Bay:

(From Mike De Larm's collection of postcards from the early 1900s.)

Built in 1923 of gneiss granite, the Hughes Memorial Chapel features stained glass windows, a sound system, organ, and piano. The simple wooden pews can seat 200 guests. (From Silver Bay YMCA of the Adirondacks)


©2007, Bruce De Larm. These records are protected by copyright laws
and may not be copied or reproduced without permission.