MENKEL  MONUMENT  STORE

 

 

The Menkel Bros. Marble and Granite Works in the photo was on Main St. in Woodsfield. It was built in 1895 and was torn down, along with the buildings on either side, in 1970 to build a parking lot for the Citizens National Bank. One of the buildings razed along with the Menkel Bros. Marble and Granite Works was a restaurant known as Mary Bishop's Restaurant.  The other building razed was an oil well supply store operated by Potter Bristol.

 

William O. Menkel had a monument shop in Miltonsburg, Ohio where he carved and sold tombstones.  We believe that his two younger brothers, Edward and Theodore worked for him. In 1893 Edward and Theodore moved to Woodsfield and opened their own shop. The monument shop had an apartment on the second floor and Edward and his family lived there until their home on Sycamore St. was built in 1900.

 

Photograph provided by Gary E. Menkel -- e-mail:  GEMenkel1@aol.com

 

 

Click here for the Short-Cut Table of Contents