Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
LEVI L. SUTTON is a farmer and
practicing physician residing seven and one-half miles east from Hatton.
He was born in Orleans county, New York, September 1, 1835, the son of
John and Susan (Williamson) Sutton, the father a native of Pennsylvania
and the mother of New Jersey. The parents, after their marriage,
lived first in the state of New Jersey, then removed to New York in 1834.
They came to Michigan in 1847, where both died. They were parents
of twelve children, Peter W., John B., Nathan, Rachel, Jane, Mary, Hannah,
William, B. L., P. W., Belle and Clarissa.
Dr. Sutton received his early education in
the country schools of Lapeer county, Michigan, and later he took a course
in Romeo academy. Upon arriving at his majority he left school and
engaged in teaching. Later he took up farming and practicing medicine.
He followed this dual occupation a number of years, when, in 1887, he came
to Adams county, Washington, direct from the east and settled where he
still lives. He was the first settler in that township, and his was
the first house to be built in that vicinity. There were no roads
in that section of the county at that time, and the nearest water was distant
eight miles. He first took a homestead and timber culture, improved
these claims, then as circumstances permitted, he purchased more land until
he now owns a section where he lives, and a quarter section just across
the road from his home. All of his land is fenced, improved and under
cultivation. He has one of the largest and handsomest houses in the
vicinity. It contains fourteen rooms and is modern throughout.
Other improvements on his farm include a large barn, repair shop, tool
house, etc. In addition to his own land he has a lease on three hundred
and twenty acres, making a total of eleven hundred and twenty acres which
he farms. He raises a great quantity of fruit each year, and his
wheat crop runs as high as eighteen thousand bushels in one year.
In 1859 Dr. Sutton was married to Sarah J.
Goodenough, daughter of James and Mary (Hiller) Goodenough, natives of
New York, who settled in that state after their marriage, and remained
there until 1834, when they removed to Michigan, and there spent the remainder
of their lives. They were parents of seven children, John, Josephine,
Josephus, Sarah J., Joanna, Mary M. and William.
To Dr. and Mrs. Sutton have been born four
children; Elmer G., in Seattle; Ida B., married to John Hackett, of Adams
county; William J., ex-principal of the normal school at Cheney, whose
life is sketched elsewhere in this volume; and Byron, who lives with his
Dr. Sutton is an active Democrat, at the hands
of which party in Michigan he held office seven years. In fraternity
circles, he is known as a member of the F. and A. M., and Mrs. Sutton is
a member of the Eastern Star. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal