Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.

     CAPT. CHARLES JOHNSON, of the firm of Johnson & Russell, Lakeside, Chelan county, looks every inch a soldier and has a brilliant record as a veteran of the Civil War.  He was born at Neversink, New York, July 8, 1842, the son of Nicholas and Nancy (Sheely) Johnson.  The paternal grandfather of our subject, Colonel John Johnson, served in the War of 1812.  Mrs.  Nancy Johnson was a native of New York, her parents being of a Connecticut family.  Her mother was a Grant, descended from the Grant brothers who came over to America in the Mayflower.  General Ulysses S. Grant was a member of the same family.
     With the opening of the Civil War our subject, who up to that period had resided at Neversink, enlisted in August, 1861, among the first three hundred thousand called for by President Lincoln.  Serving at first as a private, he was promoted through the different grades to that of Captain.  At the battle of Honey Hill, November 30, 1864, he lost a leg above the ankle.  He was Captain of Company K, Fifty-Sixth New York Volunteers, Colonel Charles H. VanWyck, and participated in thirty-seven battles and skirmishes.  He had a part in McClellan's campaign on the Peninsula, 1862, in the battles of Yorktown, Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Seven Days fight, McClellan's retreat, Malvern Hill.  July 3, 1863, he was made captain for gallantry on the field.  Following the loss of his leg he was in the hospital thirty days and home on furlough thirty more.  He then reported for duty at New York City, where he remained until mustered out with his regiment.  He then engaged in mercantile business until 1877, when he came to Chicago, going to Wayne, Nebraska, in 1880.  In 1886 he was elected clerk of Wayne county, disposed of his mercantile business, served one term, and in 1888 came to Chelan county for the benefit of his health.  He removed from Wayne, Nebraska, with his family and four neighbors, Benjamin F. Smith, Tunis Hardenburg, E. A. Emerson, William Morley and their families.  At that period the family of I. A. Navarre, mentioned elsewhere, were the only residents on Chelan Lake.  The Johnson group filed on homesteads, and our subject now lives on the best developed and most tastily improved five acres of land in that locality, in a large two-story house, surrounded by a fine orchard, overlooking the lake.  He grows walnust, almonds, peaches, pears, apples and grapes, having thirty varieties of apples, six varieties of peaches, prunes and plums, and seven varieties of grapes.
     The first marriage of Captain Johnson was performed December 19, 1866, at Hasbrouck, New York, when he was united to Hattie De Puy, a native of the same state.  She died at Ashland, Wisconsin, in 1887, while visiting friends.  His second marriage was performed at Cedar Falls, Iowa, January 12, 1888, the bride being Clara G. Emmerson, daughter of William and Emily (Hapgood) Emmerson, both natives of New York state.  Mrs. Johnson has two brothers, Eugene H., a hotel man in Missouri; and Charles E., a farmer of Benton Iowa, and one of subject's little colony, who was compelled to return east on account of his father's ill health.
     The fraternal affiliations of Mr. Johnson are with Chelan Lodge, No. 169, I. 0. 0. F., of which he is past grand.  He is a member of the grand lodge, and has been deputy grand master of the district.  He also belongs to Lotus Lodge No. 65, K. P., Wayne, Nebraska; and to Harrison Post, G. A. R., Chelan, of which he is past commander.
     Mr. Johnson is a Republican, and was one of the first Okanogan county commissioners.  He has been a delegate to Republican county and state conventions.  Our subject has sold many lots, but still retains one hundred acres of land.  He is largely interested and principal owner in the Blue Jay group of mines, Meadow Creek camp, forty miles up the lake.  It is a copper and gold proposition, in which there are six hundred feet of tunnel and drifts.  Ore is ready to be shipped so soon as transportation can be provided.  There are exposed twelve feet of solid ore.
     Mrs. Johnson died on October 26, 1903, and was buried in the Fraternal cemetery at Chelan.  She was a member of the Cascade Rebekah lodge.  Mrs. Johnson was beloved by all and her demise was a time of wide spread and sincere mourning.